Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
Results 181 to 189 of 189

Thread: GOP Rep Suggests Kids Clean Schools In Exchange For Lunch

  1. #181
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: GOP Rep Suggests Kids Clean Schools In Exchange For Lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    If you are trying to make a clear point about something.....or you are trying to ask me something......try, for goodness sake to use clear concise ENGLISH.

    Public housing in NYC is far and away much better than the tenement apartments that existed before. Every city needs supplemented renting to provide low wage workers a place to begin their climb up the ladder. You cited one family as an example of some argument about "laziness" and "stupidity", whereas the vast majority of families HAVE MOVED ON. In other words, the idea WORKED.

    It never ceases to amaze that when cons try to find items to back their argument, they ignore (purposely and hope no one notices) the success of a program designed to get people out of poverty and climb the economic ladder.

    FFS!
    Liberals ignore facts and spout garbage when evidence shows their ideas are failing, standard play that never changes, no matter how out dated it is.

  2. #182
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: GOP Rep Suggests Kids Clean Schools In Exchange For Lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Liberals ignore facts and spout garbage when evidence shows their ideas are failing, standard play that never changes, no matter how out dated it is.
    Is that it? You get hung by your own petard....and when called on it.....all you have left is boilerplate rhetoric?

    Wow...I am impressed!
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #183
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,634

    Re: GOP Rep Suggests Kids Clean Schools In Exchange For Lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    link was above, peer review is only as good as the sponsor paying for it
    I saw an ARTICLE about ONE family and a brief history of the project, but no study.

  4. #184
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: GOP Rep Suggests Kids Clean Schools In Exchange For Lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    I saw an ARTICLE about ONE family and a brief history of the project, but no study.
    and that was just one of thousands that came up from one search. I am not here to post every story that has ever been written about this to satisfy your needs. People with common sense know what is happening in this country and those without will continue to listen to their favorite pundits and programmers.


  5. #185
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,634

    Re: GOP Rep Suggests Kids Clean Schools In Exchange For Lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    and that was just one of thousands that came up from one search. I am not here to post every story that has ever been written about this to satisfy your needs. People with common sense know what is happening in this country and those without will continue to listen to their favorite pundits and programmers.
    People with common sense know a few articles don't a study make. People with common sense know idle talk is just that, anything can be claimed and an example or two shown...

    To use your version of 'common sense' I can dig up a few unrepentant white Supremacists and claim this is what is happening to our country...

    So once again, not anecdotal but a true study, not a few newspaper articles that only show A SINGLE FAMILY, but a true study. Not what a few think it is but what facts show it to be....

  6. #186
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: GOP Rep Suggests Kids Clean Schools In Exchange For Lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    People with common sense know a few articles don't a study make. People with common sense know idle talk is just that, anything can be claimed and an example or two shown...

    To use your version of 'common sense' I can dig up a few unrepentant white Supremacists and claim this is what is happening to our country...

    So once again, not anecdotal but a true study, not a few newspaper articles that only show A SINGLE FAMILY, but a true study. Not what a few think it is but what facts show it to be....
    The sheer size alone of government housing in this country tells one with any intellect at all there is a serious problem but the would require reasoning skills.

  7. #187
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,988

    Re: GOP Rep Suggests Kids Clean Schools In Exchange For Lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    For six hours a day compulsory education? Does it feel good to know you'd be forcing legions of the poor to upkeep the facilities for the middle class, who would get the luxury of only working maybe 2 jobs at most.
    Well, if they are already not working.....why not?

    But for the working poor? No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #188
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,929

    Re: GOP Rep Suggests Kids Clean Schools In Exchange For Lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Oh for crying out loud. Hardly any kids know who pays for their lunch. Most of them could not even tell you how much it costs. You have a pretty abstract view of what the perspective of being poor is. As I stated earlier, I grew up quite poor, and though we could have qualified for free or reduced lunches we did not take them, but I can't say I ever felt like a victim. If you want to see a kid with a sense of entitlement, look no further than a child of privilege.



    The requirements are 185% of the federal poverty level. That has not changed in God knows how long. For example, if a single mother has 2 kids, then she can earn up to $36,000 to qualify for free or reduced lunches. Now lets do the math:

    She works 40 hours a week at 10 dollars an hour. That gets her to 20,000 dollars a year. She then works nights waiting tables which gets up her to say, $35,000 a year. That qualifies her kids for reduced lunches, not free. Just the same, you say, well why not just have her kids pack their lunch. Well, lets do the math again:

    She takes home about 2500 dollars a month.

    Rent is 1200 dollars a month minimum.
    Car payment for an inexpensive vehicle is another 300 dollars a month.
    Food, well thats around 600 dollars a month these days. If she applied at that household size and income level she could qualify for 150 dollars in snap benefits or so. So lets put her food budget at 400 dollars a month out of pocket.
    Gas money, another 100 dollars a month minimum.
    Utilities, even if some are included in rent, its still going to be a minimum of another 100 dollars a month.
    Not leaving much left at this point, and we are not even getting into clothes, incidentals, and all the other costs we all face in our day to day lives.

    But hey, lets make her kids sweep floors because we want them to learn the value of work. You obviously have no idea what its like to grow up in poverty or to be a single mother trying earn enough to raise your kids, but just like this congressman, you want to tell them what is wrong with them anyway.
    You have no idea either what it's like to be a single mother either.

  9. #189
    Guru
    HenryChinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chitown
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,542

    Re: GOP Rep Suggests Kids Clean Schools In Exchange For Lunch

    When I was in grade school I took part in the school lunch program. Oh god, I was one of those lazy bum mooching off of the tax payer children

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •