Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 189

Thread: GOP Rep Suggests Kids Clean Schools In Exchange For Lunch

  1. #101
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,410

    Re: GOP Rep Suggests Kids Clean Schools In Exchange For Lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by Texmex View Post
    I would be I favor of having these poor children's parents be the ones cleaning up the school so their children can eat free. Maybe then they will get a job and care for their own children without always needing a handout.
    What if they already have a job? You realize that if the school janitor had a kid, that kid would qualify for the free or reduced lunch program because of the janitors income.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: GOP Rep Suggests Kids Clean Schools In Exchange For Lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    I am not against giving older kids the opportunity to earn money at school. I remember we used to get paid to clean the gym after games. I am against a guy that at minimum came out of an upper middle class childhood saying that kids should have to work for the free lunch program as if its some 2nd graders fault his parents are poor. His implication of course is that if we allow a poor kid to get a free lunch at school, it will lead to a lifetime of laziness.
    it is not hard to see three generations that live or lived in the projects or other types of government housing

  3. #103
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: GOP Rep Suggests Kids Clean Schools In Exchange For Lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    What if they already have a job? You realize that if the school janitor had a kid, that kid would qualify for the free or reduced lunch program because of the janitors income.
    bull****, I was a janitor with a kid and a wife while attending school, we did not qualify

  4. #104
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,410

    Re: GOP Rep Suggests Kids Clean Schools In Exchange For Lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    bull****, I was a janitor with a kid and a wife while attending school, we did not qualify
    You must have been the highest paid janitor in the country then. You can qualify for the free or reduced lunch program at 185% of the federal poverty level.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  5. #105
    Professor
    Phil_Osophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: GOP Rep Suggests Kids Clean Schools In Exchange For Lunch

    I think all kids should work in the school and do chores. Not just the poor ones.

  6. #106
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: GOP Rep Suggests Kids Clean Schools In Exchange For Lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    You must have been the highest paid janitor in the country then. You can qualify for the free or reduced lunch program at 185% of the federal poverty level.
    not in 1985, of course with all the giveaways now. Democratic leadership makes for a much weaker America

  7. #107
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,410

    Re: GOP Rep Suggests Kids Clean Schools In Exchange For Lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    not in 1985, of course with all the giveaways now. Democratic leadership makes for a much weaker America
    Its always been 185% of the poverty level. The free and reduced lunch program has been around since 1946. It has never even been a partisan issue until this crop of nutters took office. You may have chosen not to apply for it or take advantage of it, which is fine. That does not mean you would not have qualified. We sure would have qualified when I was kid back then, we never took advantage of it though. Personally, and I think the vast majority of Americans regardless of their politics would agree, I want these kids in school getting an education no matter how poor they are, and I have problem buying them a lunch while they are there in school getting an education. If they are ever going to climb out of poverty, the first step on that ladder will be a decent education….. and I say this as someone that has never taken one cent from the government, not even so much an unemployment check.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  8. #108
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: GOP Rep Suggests Kids Clean Schools In Exchange For Lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Its always been 185% of the poverty level. The free and reduced lunch program has been around since 1946. It has never even been a partisan issue until this crop of nutters took office. You may have chosen not to apply for it or take advantage of it, which is fine. That does not mean you would not have qualified. We sure would have qualified when I was kid back then, we never took advantage of it though. Personally, and I think the vast majority of Americans regardless of their politics would agree, I want these kids in school getting an education no matter how poor they are, and I have problem buying them a lunch while they are there in school getting an education. If they are ever going to climb out of poverty, the first step on that ladder will be a decent education….. and I say this as someone that has never taken one cent from the government, not even so much an unemployment check.
    14k was the cutoff, we made about 25k at that time, so no we did not qualify

  9. #109
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,826

    Re: GOP Rep Suggests Kids Clean Schools In Exchange For Lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Osophy View Post
    I think all kids should work in the school and do chores. Not just the poor ones.
    Ever deal with rich VIP helicopter parents?Tell them to make their kids work at school and you'll get Duck--ed if you're a teacher..
    Physics is Phun

  10. #110
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,410

    Re: GOP Rep Suggests Kids Clean Schools In Exchange For Lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    Ever deal with rich VIP helicopter parents?Tell them to make their kids work at school and you'll get Duck--ed if you're a teacher..
    Not to mention when are these young kids going to work? Kids start getting homework now in kindergarten. It was not uncommon for our kids to have an hour or two of homework even in the first and second grades some nights. Throw in scouts and some sports and kids are pretty much booked solid anymore.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •