Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47

Thread: Some Reid staffers exempt from Obamacare exchanges

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Some Reid staffers exempt from Obamacare exchanges

    Washington (CNN) -- Democratic Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, one of Obamacare's architects and staunchest supporters, is also the only top congressional leader to exempt some of his staff from having to buy insurance through the law's new exchanges.

    Reid is the exception among the other top congressional leaders. GOP House Speaker John Boehner, House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi and Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell have all directed their staffs to join the exchange, their aides said.

    After website woes, President pushes benefits of Obamacare

    In the charged atmosphere surrounding Obamacare, Reid's decision only gives Republicans more ammo to attack Democrats already suffering politically from the law's botched rollout.

    In September, Reid told reporters, "Let's stop these really juvenile political games -- the one dealing with health care for senators and House members and our staff. We are going to be part of exchanges, that's what the law says and we'll be part of that."

    Some Reid staffers exempt from Obamacare exchanges - CNN.com

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Some Reid staffers exempt from Obamacare exchanges

    As usual, you didn't read the bottom of the article. From your source:

    And all four House and Senate leaders are required to relinquish their federal employee insurance plans next year and are choosing to enroll in the exchanges.

  3. #3
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Some Reid staffers exempt from Obamacare exchanges

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    As usual, you didn't read the bottom of the article. From your source:
    We'll see... what's to stop them from changing their minds and exempting themselves? Nothing.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Some Reid staffers exempt from Obamacare exchanges

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    We'll see... what's to stop them from changing their minds and exempting themselves? Nothing.
    Again, what-if games are fun, but they typically are worthless. I'll take what the article says over rhetoric.

    If they try to exempt themselves next year, I'll be right there with you denouncing it.

  5. #5
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Some Reid staffers exempt from Obamacare exchanges

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Again, what-if games are fun, but they typically are worthless. I'll take what the article says over rhetoric.

    If they try to exempt themselves next year, I'll be right there with you denouncing it.
    So they're not hypocritical for an entire year because.... why?
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Some Reid staffers exempt from Obamacare exchanges

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    So they're not hypocritical for an entire year because.... why?
    Point to where I said they are not hypocritical. However, what "entire year" are you even talking about?

  7. #7
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,620

    Re: Some Reid staffers exempt from Obamacare exchanges

    The part that gets me is the law doesn't force anyone in Congress or their staffs to enroll in the ACA. The Republicans are 125% sure the program is bad for America, yet they are forcing their staffs to enroll when the law doesn't require them to do so.

    The Republicans have been fighting tooth and nail to stop the ACA, over 30 votes to defund in the House, and constant cries to push back the enrollment deadlines. Why are the GOP leaders forcing their staffs to sign-up for so horrible a plan?

    It just doesn't make sense.

  8. #8
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: Some Reid staffers exempt from Obamacare exchanges

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    The part that gets me is the law doesn't force anyone in Congress or their staffs to enroll in the ACA. The Republicans are 125% sure the program is bad for America, yet they are forcing their staffs to enroll when the law doesn't require them to do so.

    The Republicans have been fighting tooth and nail to stop the ACA, over 30 votes to defund in the House, and constant cries to push back the enrollment deadlines. Why are the GOP leaders forcing their staffs to sign-up for so horrible a plan?

    It just doesn't make sense.
    That gets me too. If Obamascare is the neatest thing since sliced bread, why did Democrats exempt themselves and their staffers?

    What the Republicans are doing is called leadership. Their participation in the exchange will allow them to critique Ofailure from an informed position.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Some Reid staffers exempt from Obamacare exchanges

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    What the Republicans are doing is called leadership. Their participation in the exchange will allow them to critique Ofailure from an informed position.
    So if what the Republicans are doing is called leadership, why are they on a seperate retirement plan than the people? No, what the Republicans are doing is called playing politics.

    I don't like ACA in the least, but that doesn't mean that the GOP isn't playing their own games either.

  10. #10
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: Some Reid staffers exempt from Obamacare exchanges

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    So if what the Republicans are doing is called leadership, why are they on a seperate retirement plan than the people? No, what the Republicans are doing is called playing politics.

    I don't like ACA in the least, but that doesn't mean that the GOP isn't playing their own games either.
    People who hate the Republicans are going to find fault with anything do. The fact remains, the Democrats credibly hail Ofail as a smashing success, when NONE OF THEM ARE PARTICIPATING IN THE PROGRAM.

    Like it, or not, when the Republicans endorse, or poo-poo Ofailure, they'll be speaking from experience and that will go a long way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •