Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 47

Thread: Some Reid staffers exempt from Obamacare exchanges

  1. #11
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Some Reid staffers exempt from Obamacare exchanges

    Um, Reid's staffers are buying insurance through the exchanges like the law requires them to. I'm not sure I understand the problem here. Other than really bad writing on CNN's part.

    Washington (CNN) -- Democratic Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, one of Obamacare's architects and staunchest supporters, is also the only top congressional leader to exempt some of his staff from having to buy insurance through the law's new exchanges.
    In September, Reid told reporters, "Let's stop these really juvenile political games -- the one dealing with health care for senators and House members and our staff. We are going to be part of exchanges, that's what the law says and we'll be part of that."

    That's true. Reid and his personal staff will buy insurance through the exchange.
    Doubleyou tee eff?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #12
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Some Reid staffers exempt from Obamacare exchanges

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Um, Reid's staffers are buying insurance through the exchanges like the law requires them to. I'm not sure I understand the problem here. Other than really bad writing on CNN's part.





    Doubleyou tee eff?
    Special exchanges, unlike any other.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  3. #13
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Some Reid staffers exempt from Obamacare exchanges

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Point to where I said they are not hypocritical. However, what "entire year" are you even talking about?
    You didn't say they were hypocritical so by omission I had to make the assumption. The entire year of 2014.
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  4. #14
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Some Reid staffers exempt from Obamacare exchanges

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    We'll see... what's to stop them from changing their minds and exempting themselves? Nothing.
    You're wrong, it's written into the law which was put there by Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa).
    No, Congress isn’t trying to exempt itself from Obamacare

  5. #15
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Some Reid staffers exempt from Obamacare exchanges

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    The part that gets me is the law doesn't force anyone in Congress or their staffs to enroll in the ACA. The Republicans are 125% sure the program is bad for America, yet they are forcing their staffs to enroll when the law doesn't require them to do so.

    The Republicans have been fighting tooth and nail to stop the ACA, over 30 votes to defund in the House, and constant cries to push back the enrollment deadlines. Why are the GOP leaders forcing their staffs to sign-up for so horrible a plan?

    It just doesn't make sense.
    Yes it does, it's written in the law.

    No, Congress isn’t trying to exempt itself from Obamacare

  6. #16
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Some Reid staffers exempt from Obamacare exchanges

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    You're wrong, it's written into the law which was put there by Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa).
    No, Congress isn’t trying to exempt itself from Obamacare
    Quote Originally Posted by Washington Post Editorial
    But no one is discussing "exempting" congressional staffers from Obamacare. They're discussing creating some method through which the federal government can keep making its current contribution to the health insurance of congressional staffers.

    "Even if OPM rules against us," one staffer said, "it's inaccurate to imply that any talks are aimed at exempting federal employees from routine mandates of ACA since any talks are about resolving the unique bind that the Grassley amendment puts federal employees in."
    They're discussing how to subsidize Congressional staffers so they don't have an increase in costs for their healthcare. Wow. Ya think the rest of us peon citizens can get that subsidy too?
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Some Reid staffers exempt from Obamacare exchanges

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    You didn't say they were hypocritical so by omission I had to make the assumption. The entire year of 2014.
    You "had" to make that assumption? I'm sorry but that is simply Bull****. You made the assumption instead of asking, you didn't HAVE to make an assumption.

  8. #18
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Some Reid staffers exempt from Obamacare exchanges

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    They're discussing how to subsidize Congressional staffers so they don't have an increase in costs for their healthcare. Wow. Ya think the rest of us peon citizens can get that subsidy too?
    From the link in my previous post:

    But no one is discussing "exempting" congressional staffers from Obamacare. They're discussing creating some method through which the federal government can keep making its current contribution to the health insurance of congressional staffers.

    "Even if OPM rules against us," one staffer said, "it's inaccurate to imply that any talks are aimed at exempting federal employees from routine mandates of ACA since any talks are about resolving the unique bind that the Grassley amendment puts federal employees in."

    This isn't, in other words, an effort to flee Obamacare. It's an effort to fix a drafting error that prevents the federal government from paying into insurance exchanges on behalf of congressional staffers who got caught up in a political controversy.

  9. #19
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Some Reid staffers exempt from Obamacare exchanges

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Special exchanges, unlike any other.
    You probably actually believe that.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  10. #20
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Some Reid staffers exempt from Obamacare exchanges

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    You probably actually believe that.
    For Congress, healthcare plans remain a notch above - latimes.com
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •