Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 172

Thread: Pippi Longstocking and 6 other supposedly racist children's characters

  1. #121
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Pippi Longstocking and 6 other supposedly racist children's characters

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    The average child won't have even heard of the Belgian Congo, let alone connect it to the harmless activities Hat was complaining about.
    And so that's why you pointed out that the Congo was not colonized because of a children's book? Because Hatuey never said it was?


    Not anymore than watching Roman Legionnaires slaughter Frenchmen and Germans en masse like you see in any number of "sand and sandals" flicks. You'll notice that no one seems to have a problem with that.
    Which one of those three groups belong to a different race?


    There are worse things in that book to get worked up about than the fact that a white man is shown in front of chalk board talking to natives.
    Yes, it had nothing to do with what the white man said



    I was referring to the main character, obviously.

    Sure, he might be a personification of "white guilt" coming to save some goofy "noble savage" archetype from Imperialist oppression. However, it doesn't change the fact that the natives ultimately needed the help of a white man to overcome their oppressors in the first place.

    That is ultimately just as bad as anything else that has been presented here. Instead of being a "great white hunter," he simply happens to be a "great white martyr."
    Umm, the "great white martyr", as you call him, doesn't become a leader. Instead, he goes native
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Pippi Longstocking and 6 other supposedly racist children's characters

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    And so that's why you pointed out that the Congo was not colonized because of a children's book? Because Hatuey never said it was?
    I don't believe I ever said that it was.

    I said that people should stop making a mountain out of a mole hill.

    Which one of those three groups belong to a different race?
    Who cares? The ancient world didn't really have a conception of "race" anyway.

    The simple fact of the matter is that those works are overtly glorifying imperialist oppression, and the fact that the Romans clearly viewed all other cultures and peoples as being inferior to their own.

    If the narrative of European supremacy is really so offensive as to require that entire works of literature be banned, why should the narrative of Roman supremacy be any different?

    Simply put, because certain people are still "butt hurt" over the one, where enough time has passed for them to forget about the other.

    People can be that way if they want, but I'm not going to hesitate to point out the silliness of their outrage.

    Yes, it had nothing to do with what the white man said
    Their land was owned by Belgium at the time. The author was clearly working under the assumption that the natives were subjects of the Belgian crown like any others.

    Umm, the "great white martyr", as you call him, doesn't become a leader. Instead, he goes native
    Sure he does. He becomes one with the natives, and for no other reason than that he happens to be a spunky white guy (and therefore an audience proxy) he quickly shows himself to be a better native than the actual natives, almost singlehandedly leads them to victory over their enemies, and becomes their leader by the time the end credits roll.

    He is very much a "mighty whitey."
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 12-04-13 at 12:13 AM.

  3. #123
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Pippi Longstocking and 6 other supposedly racist children's characters

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    I don't believe I ever said that it was.

    I said that people should stop making a mountain out of a mole hill.
    Right. No one said it was.

    So you felt the need to point out that it wasn't even though no one said that it was




    Who cares? The ancient world didn't really have a conception of "race" anyway.
    Which makes your comparison of Congo and wars about Romans pretty irrelevant, like your statement about how the colonization of Congo wasn't caused by a children's book.

    The simple fact of the matter is that those works are overtly glorifying imperialist oppression, and the fact that the Romans clearly viewed all other cultures and peoples as being inferior to their own.
    No, the matter is not simple, nor is it merely about glorifying imperialist oppression. This is the third straw man you've raised

    If the narrative of European supremacy is really so offensive as to require that entire works of literature be banned, why should the narrative of Roman supremacy be any different?
    For one thing, the book isn't being banned; it's being restricted for children. For another, the Roman Empire is not around to colonize anyone. Finally, the Roman Empire has nothing to do with this issue, and even if it did, that wouldn't make it the TinTin story OK.


    Their land was owned by Belgium at the time. The author was clearly working under the assumption that the natives were subjects of the Belgian crown like any others.




    Sure he does. He becomes one with the natives, and for no other reason than that he happens to be a spunky white guy (and therefore audience proxy) he quickly shows himself to be a better native than the actual natives, almost singlehandedly leads them to victory over their enemies, and then becomes their leader.

    He is very much a "mighty whitey."
    Umm, no. He doesn't show himself to be a better native, he doesn't single handedly lead them to victory, he doesn't become their leader, and his life is saved by one of the natives near the end of the movie.

    You don't seem to know anything about what you're talking about
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #124
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Pippi Longstocking and 6 other supposedly racist children's characters

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    OMFG!


    Say it ain't so, Pippi
    Books like The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn have long been banned in many schools and libraries over alleged racism. Could Pippi Longstocking be next? According to one theologian, Astrid Lindgren's classic children's novels about the pig-tailed adventurer feature unsavory "colonial racist stereotypes." Pippi joins a long list of surprising children's characters who have been accused of racism. From Babar to the Smurfs, here's a look:

    Pippi Longstocking and 6 other supposedly racist children's characters - The Week
    I never read the books, but I vaguely remember seeing a movie about Pippi Longstocking. Didn't realize there was anything racist about it, but like I said I barely remember.

  5. #125
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,590
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Pippi Longstocking and 6 other supposedly racist children's characters

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    ...
    I was referring to the main character, obviously.

    Sure, he might be a personification of "white guilt" coming to save some goofy "noble savage" archetype from Imperialist oppression. However, it doesn't change the fact that the natives ultimately required a white man to come and rescue them from their oppressors in the first place.

    That is ultimately just as bad as anything else that has been presented here. It simply happens to be the case that, rather than being a "great white hunter," he's a "great white martyr" instead.
    Holy crap!!! Avatar is one of my favorite movies of all time, and reading your interpretation of it is making me want to poke out my eyes with a pickle fork!! It's worse than when my born-again daughter and her husband tried to convince me that The Chronicles of Narnia was actually a Bible story, only Jesus was played by a lion! (No, I'm not kidding... sadly)

    Dude. Whatever you're smoking, please share.

  6. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Pippi Longstocking and 6 other supposedly racist children's characters

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Which makes your comparison of Congo and wars about Romans pretty irrelevant,
    Why should race alone be the crux of the issue here? Do you think the Europeans would have been any less inclined to conquer the native peoples they encountered if they had been light skinned, rather than dark?

    I highly doubt it. Frankly, the history of Russian colonialism proves otherwise anyway (Ever notice how you never hear anything about that either? ).

    I myself objected to the overtly racist elements being depicted in the book (the art style, the native character's broken English, etca). What Hat was referring to had nothing to do with those problems. It was concerning the idea that a European would be held in high honor by natives, and that a European should teach native peoples about his culture as if it were their own.

    I'm sorry, but that has nothing to do with "race." That is an issue of culture, and assumed cultural superiority.

    The Romans were basically all about that kind of thing.

    For another, the Roman Empire is not around to colonize anyone.
    And Belgium is?

    The book in question is almost one hundred years old!

    Finally, the Roman Empire has nothing to do with this issue, and even if it did, that wouldn't make it the TinTin story OK.
    You're picking and choosing what can and cannot be considered to be "offensive" by the measure of how much "butt hurt" it is capable of causing alone.

    You can be that way if you want, but don't pretend like it is in any sense rational.

    Umm, no. He doesn't show himself to be a better native, he doesn't single handedly lead them to victory, he doesn't become their leader, and his life is saved by one of the natives near the end of the movie.

    You don't seem to know anything about what you're talking about
    He effortlessly tames the untamable bird monster that has never been tamed, unites all of the tribes together, and is instrumental in bringing down the imperialist forces that the natives would've never had the courage to fight head on before he arrived.

    Deny it all you want, the guy is basically a purple Paul Atreides.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 12-04-13 at 12:40 AM.

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Pippi Longstocking and 6 other supposedly racist children's characters

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Holy crap!!! Avatar is one of my favorite movies of all time, and reading your interpretation of it is making me want to poke out my eyes with a pickle fork!! It's worse than when my born-again daughter and her husband tried to convince me that The Chronicles of Narnia was actually a Bible story, only Jesus was played by a lion! (No, I'm not kidding... sadly)

    Dude. Whatever you're smoking, please share.
    Ummm... You realize that they're actually 100% correct, right?

    The Chronicles of Narnia is a notoriously unsubtle Christian allegory.

    Likewise, Avatar is "white guilt" driven propaganda, which simply happens to have some rather racist undertones running through its plot.

  8. #128
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Pippi Longstocking and 6 other supposedly racist children's characters

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Holy crap!!! Avatar is one of my favorite movies of all time, and reading your interpretation of it is making me want to poke out my eyes with a pickle fork!! It's worse than when my born-again daughter and her husband tried to convince me that The Chronicles of Narnia was actually a Bible story, only Jesus was played by a lion! (No, I'm not kidding... sadly)

    Dude. Whatever you're smoking, please share.
    the chronicles of narnia are a well recognized christian allegory with the lion being a direct representative of jesus.

    <<<You are mistaken when you think that everything in the books 'represents' something in this world. Things do that in The Pilgrim's Progress [a 1678 allegory by John Bunyan] but I'm not writing in that way. I did not say to myself 'Let us represent Jesus as He really is in our world by a Lion in Narnia': I said, 'Let us suppose that there were a land like Narnia and that the Son of God, as he became a Man in our world, became a Lion there, and then imagine what would happen.'
    C.S. Lewis, quoted in Walter Hooper, C. S. Lewis: A Companion and Guide>>>

    <<<Each of the Chronicles focuses on a different part of the Christian story and theology. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe draws on themes of sacrifice and resurrection. In The Magician's Nephew, the first book in chronological order, Narnia is sung into being by Aslan but corrupted by original sin. The Last Battle is an apocalyptic culmination. Other books feature pilgrimages, "the restoration of the true religion after a corruption" and the foiling of many evil schemes.>>>

    BBC - Religions - Christianity: C.S. Lewis

  9. #129
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Pippi Longstocking and 6 other supposedly racist children's characters

    Some people take their books and movies WAY too seriously. I mean really, most of the people who read these books or watch these movies are children, and they are not making these connections. To the kids, they are simply fun and entertaining.

  10. #130
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,876

    Re: Pippi Longstocking and 6 other supposedly racist children's characters

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Holy crap!!! Avatar is one of my favorite movies of all time, and reading your interpretation of it is making me want to poke out my eyes with a pickle fork!! It's worse than when my born-again daughter and her husband tried to convince me that The Chronicles of Narnia was actually a Bible story, only Jesus was played by a lion! (No, I'm not kidding... sadly)

    Dude. Whatever you're smoking, please share.
    Avatar is basically Dances With Wolves in space.

    The Chronicles of Narnia draw pretty heavily on Christian allegory. C.S. Lewis was a pretty devout Anglican.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •