Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 205

Thread: Reported Paul Walker of Fast and Furios fame dead at 40.

  1. #51
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: Reported Paul Walker of Fast and Furios fame dead at 40.

    Three separate threads on this actor who was in a car crash, yet no coverage of the hundreds of soldiers who died in Afghanistan this year.

  2. #52
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,652
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Reported Paul Walker of Fast and Furios fame dead at 40.

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    And if that turns out to be true, I'll rescind. But I can assure you, that if this was a no-name Mexican, and for any reason it got into the national news, no one would be mourning, they'd be blaming him for his stupidity, which in to my perspective is the right attitude regardless of the fact that Walker is a blond haired, blue eyed, white actor.
    The only correct thing you've said so far in this thread is that this particular accident only made news because it involved a celebrity, something that has been true for the past century, so it's hardly an innovative notion. Walker wasn't even driving the car, yet you continue to rail on his "stupidity". I suppose if he was a passenger in a vehicle that was speeding it would have been more intelligent of him, according to you, to bail out at 60 miles an hour and die ugly on the pavement. Honestly, I will never understand people like you. I think that may be a good thing.

  3. #53
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Reported Paul Walker of Fast and Furios fame dead at 40.

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    The only correct thing you've said so far in this thread is that this particular accident only made news because it involved a celebrity, something that has been true for the past century, so it's hardly an innovative notion. Walker wasn't even driving the car, yet you continue to rail on his "stupidity". I suppose if he was a passenger in a vehicle that was speeding it would have been more intelligent of him, according to you, to bail out at 60 miles an hour and die ugly on the pavement. Honestly, I will never understand people like you. I think that may be a good thing.
    No there are so many other options, like asking your friend to stop speeding or to pull over and let you out. Surprisingly it works, more than once I've walked home or to a phone. Even had to do it to my own father who thought it was cute to race in rush hour traffic against a 280Z with his pregnant daughter (me) int he cubby because Jann was in the other passenger seat. Sorry, but you seem to have limited ability to see options other than black or white.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  4. #54
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,652
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Reported Paul Walker of Fast and Furios fame dead at 40.

    Quote Originally Posted by Summerwind View Post
    No there are so many other options, like asking your friend to stop speeding or to pull over and let you out. Surprisingly it works, more than once I've walked home or to a phone. Even had to do it to my own father who thought it was cute to race in rush hour traffic against a 280Z with his pregnant daughter (me) int he cubby because Jann was in the other passenger seat. Sorry, but you seem to have limited ability to see options other than black or white.
    That's an odd statement from someone who decided instantly, and without any facts whatsoever, that anyone who was involved in such a wreck, or was a passenger in such a wreck, was automatically stupid and to blame for his own death.

  5. #55
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Reported Paul Walker of Fast and Furios fame dead at 40.

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    That's an odd statement from someone who decided instantly, and without any facts whatsoever, that anyone who was involved in such a wreck, or was a passenger in such a wreck, was automatically stupid and to blame for his own death.
    Yes, because he had all manner of grey in between. I just really hate that celebrities can be drug addicts, wrap themselves around trees, and all manner of crap that any other non-white, no name person would be wracked for. It's disgusting. On that I agree to being black and white, you got me.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  6. #56
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,253

    Re: Reported Paul Walker of Fast and Furios fame dead at 40.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    He was gone faster than, judging by the looks of that car.
    def wasn't going to Walker away from that one
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  7. #57
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Reported Paul Walker of Fast and Furios fame dead at 40.

    "Super" performance cars as he was in are a very mixed bag. That is something who I think the best and most experienced review, Jeremy Clark, has explained. He has pretty much driven every mega-dollar super performance car there is, including on closed road course tracks and miles long runways.

    They are so powerful that the drivers are highly dependent upon the computer controls of the car - which included the throttle, transmission, brakes and suspension - because the power is SO great. They are incredible machines. But there is a danger too. I have an older built-up "super performance car" - 800 horsepower. 1000 ft/pounds torque. And all the computer controls as it is modern. I've driven fast sports cars (including Porsche) and a few hot muscle cars. But this car I have, although more sophisticated and refined, is a VERY frightening machine if you get on it. And impossible to use in a performance sense without that computer assistance and control vetoing your excesses.

    He explained something I learned quick. Those cars can be scary as hell. They can take corners, accelerate and decelerate (braking) at incredible speeds, with the computers adjusting the suspension, doing braking (whether you are or not), operating the accelerator and transmission millisecond by millsecond - allowing performance the driver could never do on his own. BUT IF the driver is exceeding even what the computers can control, the overall loss of control of the car is catastrophic. It's all over. Nothing you can do.

    Traction control prevents people from being able to do intense "burn outs" and in lesser performance cars you can gain a slight performance edge by "turning off" what is called "traction control." This is no big deal in ordinary cars. It is a big deal to turn it off on a super car. If you do, unless you are VERY tender with the throttle you might as well have your back tires on ice. And if you lose rear tire traction on a hard turn? You WILL lose it. And you CAN'T recover. I've turned off traction control twice and punched it on mine. And then you can totally forget having rear tire traction - and once I did it while at a slight angle - and I was instantly sideways.

    I suspect what happened is to show off his $500,000 Porsche GT, the driver turned off traction control, and then came into a corner fast. NORMALLY, with traction control on the computer would immediately shut down the throttle and best possible automatically operate the massive anti-lock brakes, and adjust the suspension for the best possible grip - trying to save the car. But with it off? He had no brakes operating, a soft suspension, and totally unmanageable power going to the rear tires.

    Any investigation should examine the computer's black box to determine if traction control was on or off?

    I've had a Porsches (928s), and they were fast, though not so much as to not be manageable. I don't care much for Porsches and think they are way overpriced for what you get (when new - old 928s are a real bargain). They also handle differently than other performance cars, which can throw some people off.

    Put simply, super performance cars now well exceed human capabilities. And if truly pushed, even all the computer controls in the world can't manage it. As a result, the ceiling on performance has basically been reached due to 1.) human and 2.) tire limitations. They can now make cars of almost unlimited power, but that actually starts slowing the car down as even the computers can't control it. There is the possibility that the car also has computer limiting software overriding power limiters - particularly torque limiting. Basically, ALL super cars have computers LIMITING the torque of the motor. But many have software reprogrammed to override it. My car does. This also adds a danger factor is pushing it to the limit - because the power exceeds safety limits significantly.

    I wonder how many famous people have been killed in high performance Porches? James Dean was killed in an open Porsche speedster.
    Last edited by joko104; 12-01-13 at 07:06 PM.

  8. #58
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Reported Paul Walker of Fast and Furios fame dead at 40.

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    Three separate threads on this actor who was in a car crash, yet no coverage of the hundreds of soldiers who died in Afghanistan this year.
    That's not true. There is plenty going on that topic. Go look at the military board.

  9. #59
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:29 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,044

    Re: Reported Paul Walker of Fast and Furios fame dead at 40.

    So what? Guy died. People die everyday. Why do people mourn because he was an actor?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  10. #60
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Reported Paul Walker of Fast and Furios fame dead at 40.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    So what? Guy died. People die everyday. Why do people mourn because he was an actor?
    What I don't like is when this type of thing happens people proclaim that it was automatically "stupid". Like I've said earlier, pending witness statements and forensic analysis it's impossible to know what happened from reading the initial account. Anything can happen in a vehicle to make even safe operation fail, tie rods can break, brakes can fail, lose a center link and you will be all over the place, steering column can have a fatal failure like a crack, throttle can stick even when new(especially with the new hybrid mechanical/cpu ones), hell, if the gear box suddenly goes out or the power steering unit fails unexpectedly there is going to be a huge problem.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •