Page 53 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 LastLast
Results 521 to 530 of 546

Thread: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

  1. #521
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    It's important for young people to have a proper work ethic for the modern world, and that is to focus only on their own well-being (and the well-being their family/friends) and to screw everyone else they don't care about (including their employer) for the sake of advancing their own well-being.

    Such an attitude is considered healthy, as long as one plays the screwing game effectively to avoid consequences.

    Employer loyalty, OTOH, is an outdated victimization mentality that's extremely dangerous and unhealthy. Young people should be taught from a young age never to work harder than they need to for someone who doesn't share their values/goals.

  2. #522
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,427

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    It's important for young people to have a proper work ethic for the modern world, and that is to focus only on their own well-being (and the well-being their family/friends) and to screw everyone else they don't care about (including their employer) for the sake of advancing their own well-being.

    Such an attitude is considered healthy, as long as one plays the screwing game effectively to avoid consequences.

    Employer loyalty, OTOH, is an outdated victimization mentality that's extremely dangerous and unhealthy. Young people should be taught from a young age never to work harder than they need to for someone who doesn't share their values/goals.
    This struck a nerve because I was just sitting here thinking about my work ethic.

    Whatever I do I make sure I am the best.

    I opened a company one time and, without me knowing, I had one competitor. In 6 months he was out of business. I was supplying the customer service, and accurate work he couldn't or didn't want to, so I got all of his customers. I also had to redo a lot of his bad work for customers. I didn't set out to close his business, but my work ethic was much stronger than his was and I won out. If I made a mistake, I did whatever it took to fix it no matter the cost and I never charged the customer another dime. It was my mistake and I had to pay for it. I don't see that anymore from businesses or people.

    I was also thinking of this thread last night when I was working on Sunday until 12 midnight to get done what I needed to get done for today. I was thinking about all the employees that were home asleep because at 5 they drop whatever it is they are doing and go home. A business owner doesn't have that luxury. Then I was thinking about those same employees wanting to call the shots in the business when I have to work until midnight and they are asleep. No way.

  3. #523
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    He has the right not to work. It's called "quitting" or "getting fired".

    He doesn't have the "right" to tell an employer when he feels like working. That's just comical stuff right there.
    He does. There is no legal prohibition on an employee telling an employer he/she doesn't feel like working.

    Furthermore, at will arrangements do not require an employee to resign employment prior to or after deciding not to show up for work. Either he, or the employer may do so at either's discretion, at any time, with or without cause, but at no time, under US law, may an employer falsify employment records.

  4. #524
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    He does. There is no legal prohibition on an employee telling an employer he/she doesn't feel like working.

    Furthermore, at will arrangements do not require an employee to resign employment prior to or after deciding not to show up for work. Either he, or the employer may do so at either's discretion, at any time, with or without cause, but at no time, under US law, may an employer falsify employment records.
    Ok fine. If you want to play the colloquial game, he has a "right" to do everything I just said. The employer also has the right to can his lazy ass for doing it.

    There.

  5. #525
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,788

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    I said that these people were bottom of the barrel, they work in an industry which requires nights, weekends and holidays and they act like they can demand not to work the hours that they agreed to work when they started working in that industry. Just because you chose to do that doesn't change their situation.
    So your argument is that they chose to work those types of hours but are now complaining about it and trying to get out of those types of hours? If so... Well Hell, I agree with that. They should shut up about it and work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #526
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:43 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,788

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    What I always thought was a stupid double standard was giving your boss two weeks notice if you wanted to leave (perhaps he is an A-Hole or running the business badly) but the employer can just fire you on the spot with no warning if you are the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #527
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    What I always thought was a stupid double standard was giving your boss two weeks notice if you wanted to leave (perhaps he is an A-Hole or running the business badly) but the employer can just fire you on the spot with no warning if you are the same.
    The only reason a two-week notice is expected is if you ever want to go back to that employer and work again. You can just leave with no notice but there are repercussions.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #528
    Guru
    HenryChinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chitown
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,525

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    The only reason a two-week notice is expected is if you ever want to go back to that employer and work again. You can just leave with no notice but there are repercussions.
    But yet that employer can fire an employee at the drop of a hat without notice. Double standard. It's a rigged game in the Man's favor.
    Give a man a fish and he can eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he can sit in a boat, drinking beer all day while you fool around with his Woman.

  9. #529
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:30 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,499

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryChinaski View Post
    But yet that employer can fire an employee at the drop of a hat without notice. Double standard. It's a rigged game in the Man's favor.
    You didn't even read what he said. An employee can quit and leave at a drop of a hat, too, without notice. He just shouldn't expect to be hired again. It's not a "game." It's the inevitable consequence of walking out on your job.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  10. #530
    Professor
    Phil_Osophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    What I always thought was a stupid double standard was giving your boss two weeks notice if you wanted to leave (perhaps he is an A-Hole or running the business badly) but the employer can just fire you on the spot with no warning if you are the same.
    You arent legally required to give two weeks notice, it jist looks better when you go to find another job.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •