Page 51 of 55 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 510 of 546

Thread: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

  1. #501
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    The right not to work is a basic human natural right, which should not be infringed upon (in any manner) by employers or others of so-called authority. It's time we sit down for our rights. Power to the people!
    He has the right not to work. It's called "quitting" or "getting fired".

    He doesn't have the "right" to tell an employer when he feels like working. That's just comical stuff right there.

  2. #502
    Guru
    HenryChinaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Chitown
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    3,532

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    This victory for the Working Man pleases Me, so today I shall go to Whole Foods for some non GMO Duck breast and organic Peruvian potatos.

  3. #503
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,516

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryChinaski View Post
    This victory for the Working Man pleases Me, so today I shall go to Whole Foods for some non GMO Duck breast and organic Peruvian potatos.
    Sounds like you would've anyway.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  4. #504
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,755

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    The right not to work is a basic human natural right, which should not be infringed upon (in any manner) by employers or others of so-called authority. It's time we sit down for our rights. Power to the people!
    Cool, don't work. Don't expect to eat though. The two go hand in hand.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #505
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,755

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Ah, you're only half right....I was in on everything for that business....and as I went thru college, had some decision-making capacity. Who do you think was paying the bills, handling the employee issues? I may not have had final word (altho my father was happy to encourage my participation) but I was at least privy to everything that went on.

    You can choose to dismiss this experience, but that wouldnt be realistic.
    If you didn't personally make the decisions, you didn't run the business. Sitting in the same room as other people making the decisions is not the same.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #506
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,732

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    If you didn't personally make the decisions, you didn't run the business. Sitting in the same room as other people making the decisions is not the same.
    Care to reiterate the point you were attempting to make when you asked if I had ever run a business?

    C'mon...let's see just how far you'll go to make your point. And as I wrote...I *did* have a voice in some decisions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #507
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,812

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Hey, I don't work nights, weekends or holidays and neither does my wife. Of course, we are both educated professionals who have put in our time working our way up, unlike these people who are bottom of the barrel. It can be done, it just takes work, not just a bunch of liberal whining about how unfair things are.
    What is bottom of the barrel about working nights, weekends or holidays?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #508
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,812

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Oh, I see the "bottom of the barrel" argument. They don't deserve time with their family because they are bottom of the barrel.
    I see your sarcasm.

    Some people don't have family, don't want to see family or can make more money on holidays so they CHOOSE to work. Nothing bottom of the barrel about that. Besides, I loved working weekends and nights. Then when I went surfing or mountain biking or skiing during the weekdays it was almost empty and I had the run of whatever I was doing. Supermarkets and malls and theatres were people free. This was great. Why were they people free? Because most of the idiots chose to work weekdays!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #509
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I see your sarcasm.

    Some people don't have family, don't want to see family or can make more money on holidays so they CHOOSE to work. Nothing bottom of the barrel about that. Besides, I loved working weekends and nights. Then when I went surfing or mountain biking or skiing during the weekdays it was almost empty and I had the run of whatever I was doing. Supermarkets and malls and theatres were people free. This was great. Why were they people free? Because most of the idiots chose to work weekdays!
    But they know what's best for you, so you should listen!

    The difference between a liberal and a conservative is who they think has their best interests in mind, and who can decide what they do best.

    Frankly, I know what I like, can do, and can spend my money better than a bloated government can.

  10. #510
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,755

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    What is bottom of the barrel about working nights, weekends or holidays?
    That is part and parcel with working retail. If you don't want to work those days, don't work retail. Get an education, get some work experience and work your way up into a position where those things are not part of the job description.

    Or didn't you think of that?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 51 of 55 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •