Page 47 of 55 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast
Results 461 to 470 of 546

Thread: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

  1. #461
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    So financial terrorism.

    Any business owner that would bow to media pressure, should just close the doors now.
    gotta love free speech huh?
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  2. #462
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    they can go on strike and picket their employers place of business.
    Not exactly. In negotiations the most important factor is leverage, the harder someone is to replace the more leverage they have. If a worker is always early, stays late when necessary, performs above expectations, and excels in all aspects of the respective position they have plenty of leverage to ask for a raise, more vacation time, concessions such as a holiday or two off, and realistically this may be my next manager.

    The employer who threatens to engage in unionization, wants to be treated as if they have a say in policy(and let's face it, that is not their area of expertise and they don't have the numbers to make a decision) and otherwise bitches and complains about contractual obligations forfeits all leverage in negotiations. I can find someone to fill that position quickly(unless it's a rare skill set), I can have them trained quickly, and if the new person's attitude sucks too, I haven't really lost anything over the employee they replaced so I start over until I get someone that I can trust and feel good about paying.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  3. #463
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    If they are valuable to the company they have plenty to negotiate with. The employer has a financial choice to make when employees strike. Are the costs of hiring and training new help all while losing sales in the process greater or lesser than the demands being made by those employees. If it's less, fire them all, start over. If not, time to haggle.

    It should be that simple.
    Mason pretty much spelled it out. If I let the employees win one and I have to shut down then what's to stop them from doing that every time they don't like a policy change. First off, did whole foods have ads printed stating they would be open? That's money spent already, only to have to change and have advertising saying that the decision has changed again so as to not piss off customers who are the only reason to be open in the first place. If ads weren't printed, there is still losing revenue if adjacent stores were opened, or if competitors opened. Funny thing is, I can care about my employees a lot, but my bottom line doesn't, call it bullying, call it establishing the employer/employee relationship but you can't just let employees decide policy.

    Another example. I don't have a problem with long hair or tattoos, nor facial hair. I've had long hair, want to get a few tattoos, and I hate shaving but I worked in a restaurant that required me to not get ink that showed if it wasn't already present, I had to cut my hair, and shave for a shift because the customers expected us to be "clean cut", we were party animals after the shift but we had to present properly. If I own a business and my customers tell me they don't like the look of my employees...............dress code will be changed, it's not personal, it's business.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  4. #464
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    When I was working for my fathers company, he went on vacation leaving me in charge.

    All of the front office girls would come in at 8:30 or 9:00 and sit at their desks and do their nails or pay bills, I was watching all this on the cameras, and about an hour later they would start working.

    The company was paying them from the time they clocked in.

    When I confronted them about it, they ignored me.

    I fired the whole lot and brought in people that wanted to work and productivity went way up.

    Once an employee is spoiled, they are no good and they must be fired. There is no bringing them back.
    Ever watch "Bar Rescue"? One of the episodes had a "spot fire", all of the employees were lousy and had no accountability, so Jon Taffer had the owner fire the worst employee in front of the rest of the staff in order to establish that consequences were now in effect.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #465
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    It's like a cancer, as well. Fail to do so, and they will corrupt any new hire within weeks.
    Before I waited tables I bused in the same restaurant, one of the new busboys was a lousy employee, took his lawful break plus found ways to disappear when he didn't have a break due him. When the guy did work we had to go behind and fix his mistakes. My manager literally told the better employees(including myself) "We're running him out of here, it's easier if it's his choice so make his life hell".
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  6. #466
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    You will see when you have your own business.
    I didn't appreciate my employers fully until I tried to start my first business(insurance agent). I didn't have the overhead those guys did but I had all the headaches of trying to acquire clientele, make ends meet, never being completely off the clock, etc.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  7. #467
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    I agree 100%, except your first line. It IS about holidays. Used to be, having someone work on thanksgiving was unheard of, unless you simply didn't celebrate it, like the Chinese folk in "A Christmas Story".
    I disagree. I'm the youngest of my cousins, even in the late 80s I had plenty of cousins missing from a holiday or two for work, that's almost 30 years ago.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  8. #468
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    you cannot legally do that.

    but you can use the media attention that a public strike would cause as leverage to bring the employer to the negotiating table.
    The public has to care, and honestly if one is keeping them from shopping the odds are not in the employees' favor as a general rule. If a person has to explain to their children that ice cream dessert is off because they forgot it and the store is closed, the kid's sad face is going to win over a person who doesn't want to work every time.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  9. #469
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    So financial terrorism.

    Any business owner that would bow to media pressure, should just close the doors now.
    Honestly, I think the companies should start fighting back with defamation suits.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  10. #470
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Honestly, I think the companies should start fighting back with defamation suits.
    why do people side with the group that has all the power, not the ones with out power?
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

Page 47 of 55 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •