Page 40 of 55 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 546

Thread: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

  1. #391
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by lawboy View Post
    I said all but MT, that includes LA, the post makes no sense.
    Sorry, I misread that.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #392
    Professor
    Phil_Osophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    You don't believe in taxation or regulation, per your post I quoted, ergo, you're an anarchist.
    I do believe in taxation and regulation just not the current system.

  3. #393
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by lawboy View Post
    Have you ever heard of an employer in a wrongful discharge suit ADMITTING they fired the employee for the illegal reason?


    I only know of basically 2, and they were sidestep admittance, because the penalty was not big, as both were Public Policy exceptions cases where the PP had not been recognized yet.
    I wouldn't fire them for an illegal reason, I would fire them for something they actually did and document. If they say "you fired me out of spite" I would say, no "I fired you for violating company policy, we're getting tighter on enforcement now".
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  4. #394
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,662

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Bully tactics....how surprising.
    Well you could look at it like the union is also a bully...once in place. Certainly to a private business owner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #395
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Moderator's Warning:
    Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving Civility, gents. Let's not get personal here.... and let's not run borderline baiting into the ground either.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  6. #396
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 12:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    701

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    I wouldn't fire them for an illegal reason,
    Well, I'll give ya credit on that, as MOST employers have lied in wrongful termination suits, I was fired once, sued, and felony perjury was committed by thier agent.

  7. #397
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Yeah?


    Well, right now, BJs does not open on thanksgiving and Christmas, but there is talk that they might next year, because other companies do, and BJs wants a piece of that pie. What am I to do when that happens? Pick up and change careers? Again? Not too many "safe" career choices left, at least not without taking a gamble on more college...a 30-70k gamble. I have a wife who also works retail, and two kids. What do you people who retail to do? Would you have us all seek alternative employment in fields that are more family friendly? And what fields are those? I make 55k a year, where am I gonna get that pay while starting all over..again?

    It seems to me that many of you are debating this issue from a cometely ignorant and self centered possition. What, am I a loser and a degenerate and a societal failure because I work retail, deserving of no family life, nor holidays? I worked my way from the bottom to get where I'm at, after totally rebooting and switching careers...twice. I'd like to see any of you try that and meet with the same success I have.

    Truth is, so long as it doesn't affect you, you don't give a ****. Except that it IS going to affect you some day, you're just too short sighted to see it, and by the time you do, it'll be way past too late to do anything about it.

    I say, if the Walton's want to be open on thanksgiving and Christmas, they should have to work those days as well, right along with their employees. If congress thinks it's fine, then it should be fine for them, too. We vote for people who run often on the premise of family values, but what family values can they possibly have when not even thanksgiving or Christmas is sacred?
    Wow. First off, it was you and your wife who chose careers in retail. I have no clue what BJ's is nor why I should care if they are open Christmas or not. However, most of the grocery stores around here have been open for at least a part of Christmas Day for decades now. I find it very hard to swallow that you've worked retail for years and not been asked to work a holiday shift. The possibility of working holidays in retail has always been a part of the job.

    Now generally, the places I've worked and seen will ask for volunteers first and that generally takes care of it so the family folks who really, really don't want to work holidays don't have to. But if you're raising a kid on your own as I was, the time and a half was a welcome thing. Not to mention, even if you're not in a traditionally tip field, people tip on Christmas, big time.

    And stow the nonsense about working your way up the ladder. Most of us from my generation have done that, more than once.

    If you don't want to ever work a holiday and you're in retail, you do indeed need to change your career, or wise up and change your head.

  8. #398
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Again, all the more reasons unions exist.
    Why, because you don't get your way. **** unions, let me tell you something, I worked my ass off for years, and if I go back into business I'm going to work it off some more. I worker EVERY HOLIDAY FOUR YEARS IN A ROW without complaint, so excuse me if I don't feel sorry for someone who has to work a Thanksgiving. If they don't like it they can quit, it's kind of funny, employees complain when a minor policy changes, but the employers don't piss and moan when they have to pay the check. The reason people are seen as unprofessional these days is because they want to play an ownership and partner role without actually doing anything to earn it.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  9. #399
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 12:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    701

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Sorry, I misread that.
    Have you ever read the Commissioners on Uniform state laws Model Employment Termination Act? So far no state has adopted it.

  10. #400
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by lawboy View Post
    Well, I'll give ya credit on that, as MOST employers have lied in wrongful termination suits, I was fired once, sued, and felony perjury was committed by thier agent.
    I don't like some laws as I think they are overkill, but I would follow them because it's the easiest course. That said I would not be forgiving on the mistake end if my employees decided to unionize, IOW, don't **** up once I've been crossed, I'm looking for any excuse to get some payback. Petty? Sure, but so was unionizing or entertaining the idea to attack my decision making.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

Page 40 of 55 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •