Page 38 of 55 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 546

Thread: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

  1. #371
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 12:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    701

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    They can be fired for any reasons I can find.
    Have you ever heard of an employer in a wrongful discharge suit ADMITTING they fired the employee for the illegal reason?


    I only know of basically 2, and they were sidestep admittance, because the penalty was not big, as both were Public Policy exceptions cases where the PP had not been recognized yet.

  2. #372
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Osophy View Post
    Protections from what exactly? Murder? I agree. You dint want to work on thanksgiving? Tough titties.
    Protections from employers who bully like what was displayed so well on this thread.

  3. #373
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    More bullying.
    Use all the emotional rhetoric you want. Employees DO NOT OWN THE BUSINESS and thus do not dictate the rules. If my employee won't comply to my policies by choice they will not be my employee, if they get blacklisted that's too ****ing bad, they can learn from their mistakes the next time someone takes a chance on them in the distant future and maybe people that can learn a lesson from the smackdown will.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  4. #374
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 12:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    701

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Not true. Louisiana is an "at will" state as are most states in the U.S. to some degree. Montana is different in that "at will" falls under probationary hire, "good cause" comes into play after six months.

    Employment At Will States | At Will Employment States
    I said all but MT, that includes LA, the post makes no sense.

  5. #375
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Hey, I got it you like to bully. The reason unions exist.
    Unions exist to collect fees, they don't represent workers and you are kidding yourself if you think that.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  6. #376
    Educator
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    10-14-14 @ 12:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    701

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Use all the emotional rhetoric you want. Employees DO NOT OWN THE BUSINESS and thus do not dictate the rules. If my employee won't comply to my policies by choice they will not be my employee, if they get blacklisted that's too ****ing bad, they can learn from their mistakes the next time someone takes a chance on them in the distant future and maybe people that can learn a lesson from the smackdown will.
    What about federal law that prohibits a termination where a reservist is deployed? Try that and get the feds on you.

  7. #377
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Use all the emotional rhetoric you want. Employees DO NOT OWN THE BUSINESS and thus do not dictate the rules. If my employee won't comply to my policies by choice they will not be my employee, if they get blacklisted that's too ****ing bad, they can learn from their mistakes the next time someone takes a chance on them in the distant future and maybe people that can learn a lesson from the smackdown will.
    Again, all the more reasons unions exist.

  8. #378
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,731

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    At BJs, employees are supposedly not required to lift more than 30 pounds without. They set it at 30 because most people can fairly safely lift 29 pounds, and that is the OSHA standard...don't lift more than you can handle. Above 29 pounds is supposed to be a team lift item. Upon getting hired, you see a training vid of this, and many other OSHA standards. Then you sign a doc stating you understand these policies, and that failure to follow them will result in disciplinary action, up to termination. Then you start work. You are told what you need to do, and how much time you have to do it in. You walk into a room full of boxes, all weighting 40+ pounds, and are told to stack them just so. You ask about team lift. No payroll for another person. At this point, you have a choice...violate policy, which the company doesn't really care if you do, or don't get the job done on account of not having help. Which the company DOES care about. Truth is, just about every box in BJs weights 30 pounds or more. The 30 pound policy is to protect the company from injury suits, and nothing else.

    This happens millions of times per day, across the country, at thousands of retailers. If retailers followed every standard and practices they put in place inspired by OSHA and it's ilk to protect itself, they would all literally have to double their payroll to get the job done. They don't want to do that, and frankly, YOU don't want them to either.
    Dont be silly, the policy is enforceable and the employees can see that it is. THey can do a number of things, including make anonymous calls to regulating agencies and videoing unsafe practices or conditions.

    ANYONE, can break rules or laws, including employees. This does not mean that they do not have those rights, which is exactly what you wrote.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #379
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Unions exist to collect fees, they don't represent workers and you are kidding yourself if you think that.
    Talk about rhetoric

  10. #380
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,971
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    No, there isn't any logic there. The reality is it's already been the case for decades that some retail folks work Thanksgiiving and even Christmas day. It's not an end of the era, and holidays still persist. When you go to work at a grocery store, generally you get seven holidays a year. Believe it or not, not everyone celebrates Thanksgiving or even Christmas. And there's always folks that want to work and get the time and a half. I've done it.

    It isn't retail and the fact that they've been open for holidays for years and years that is interfering with uninterrupted family gatherings - it's that damn smart phone and these computers that have done that.
    Yeah?


    Well, right now, BJs does not open on thanksgiving and Christmas, but there is talk that they might next year, because other companies do, and BJs wants a piece of that pie. What am I to do when that happens? Pick up and change careers? Again? Not too many "safe" career choices left, at least not without taking a gamble on more college...a 30-70k gamble. I have a wife who also works retail, and two kids. What do you people who retail to do? Would you have us all seek alternative employment in fields that are more family friendly? And what fields are those? I make 55k a year, where am I gonna get that pay while starting all over..again?

    It seems to me that many of you are debating this issue from a cometely ignorant and self centered possition. What, am I a loser and a degenerate and a societal failure because I work retail, deserving of no family life, nor holidays? I worked my way from the bottom to get where I'm at, after totally rebooting and switching careers...twice. I'd like to see any of you try that and meet with the same success I have.

    Truth is, so long as it doesn't affect you, you don't give a ****. Except that it IS going to affect you some day, you're just too short sighted to see it, and by the time you do, it'll be way past too late to do anything about it.

    I say, if the Walton's want to be open on thanksgiving and Christmas, they should have to work those days as well, right along with their employees. If congress thinks it's fine, then it should be fine for them, too. We vote for people who run often on the premise of family values, but what family values can they possibly have when not even thanksgiving or Christmas is sacred?
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

Page 38 of 55 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •