Page 18 of 55 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 546

Thread: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

  1. #171
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    What kind of judgemental and unfounded crap is that?
    It's called "The Word of the Lord." You'll find it in the beatitudes.

  2. #172
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:37 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,527

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Nope. We watch any of the hundreds of movies we have. We eat. We laugh. We sing songs. We basically spend time with each other. Tough concept to grasp for the majority of people today.
    Well, ain't you just the belle of the ball? You entirely missed the point, too.
    Last edited by Harshaw; 11-29-13 at 12:58 PM.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  3. #173
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:37 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,527

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    It's called "The Word of the Lord." You'll find it in the beatitudes.
    No, Guy. No. Being "poor in SPIRIT" is better, according to the Beatitudes, as in, not being affected by wealth, and keeping the same attitudes you'd have if you were poor, whether you actually are or not. Being poor in and of itself is not a "higher spiritual place." It's not like you're immune from being a horrible person if you're poor.

    If you're going to judge, as you frequently do, at least do the courtesy of knowing what you're talking about.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  4. #174
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Well, ain't you just the belle of the ball?
    You saying I'm wrong? If you would go watch a movie with 150 strangers on a day that is supposed to be about families being thankful for each other, there is something definitely wrong with your family dynamic.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #175
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:37 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,527

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    You saying I'm wrong?
    About what? What you do for Thanksgiving? How would I have any idea?

    Or, that what you do is wrong? I couldn't care less what you do. I'm not the one being hyper-judgmental here. You are.

    If you would go watch a movie with 150 strangers on a day that is supposed to be about families being thankful for each other, there is something definitely wrong with your family dynamic.
    I'd say those who do -- who are many -- don't see it as going to watch a movie "with 150 strangers," they see it as going out and seeing and enjoying a movie with their families. Whether they watch a movie in theater, or watch it at home as you say you do, it's the same thing. But if you're on a trip to aggrandize yourself, I guess you'll find any way to do it.

    By the way, at 12:26 PM EDT yesterday, when you were making that judgmental post to me here, was that part of enjoying and singing songs with your family, and being thankful for what you have, keeping the spirit of the day sacred, unlike the unwashed masses you condemn?
    Last edited by Harshaw; 11-29-13 at 01:07 PM.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  6. #176
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,438

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    Wrong. An employee must explicitly resign, or else it's not quitting.



    Plenty of unskilled low-wage jobs available. However, employees that choose not to work on specific days should always provide an excuse for not showing up that wouldn't result in inhibiting future employment prospects. In other words, if an employee chooses not to work on Thanksgiving, he/she could just call in sick or claim that his/her baby sister is sick and needs to stay at home.

    That way, the employer could not legally fire the employee for that reason*, esp. if a valid doctor's excuse is provided (shouldn't be hard to get one on Thanksgiving, considering how many people have relatives who are doctors). Of course, the employer could still fire the employee for another reason, but still proper documentation is needed under current laws.**

    * ** - In a Libertarian society, there are no restrictions on when an employer can terminate an employee--this is what I would prefer. However, the US is not a Libertarian country.
    Wrong. If an employee does not show up, they quit and in my business I make that perfectly clear at the beginning.

    When was the last time you were a business owner?

  7. #177
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    About what? What you do for Thanksgiving? How would I have any idea?

    Or, that what you do is wrong? I couldn't care less what you do. I'm not the one being hyper-judgmental here. You are.

    I'd say those who do -- who are many -- don't see it as going to watch a movie "with 150 strangers," they see it as going out and seeing and enjoying a movie with their families. Whether they watch a movie in theater, or watch it at home as you say you do, it's the same thing. But if you're on a trip to aggrandize yourself, I guess you'll find any way to do it.
    Not a trip of any sort. Laughing at folks who need to spend money, be with 150 strangers on a day that is family oriented. However, anything to promote the capitalist destruction of family holidays.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #178
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,438

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    Wrong. An employee must explicitly resign, or else it's not quitting.



    Plenty of unskilled low-wage jobs available. However, employees that choose not to work on specific days should always provide an excuse for not showing up that wouldn't result in inhibiting future employment prospects. In other words, if an employee chooses not to work on Thanksgiving, he/she could just call in sick or claim that his/her baby sister is sick and needs to stay at home.

    That way, the employer could not legally fire the employee for that reason*, esp. if a valid doctor's excuse is provided (shouldn't be hard to get one on Thanksgiving, considering how many people have relatives who are doctors). Of course, the employer could still fire the employee for another reason, but still proper documentation is needed under current laws.**

    * ** - In a Libertarian society, there are no restrictions on when an employer can terminate an employee--this is what I would prefer. However, the US is not a Libertarian country.
    You are why the US is such a **** hole when it comes to work.

    You think it is OK to scam your boss for your own purposes and you could give a **** about the health of the business.

    Just collect your welfare check for coming in to work and do the least you can to get by.

    You are a real piece of work you are.

  9. #179
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:37 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,527

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Not a trip of any sort. Laughing at folks who need to spend money, be with 150 strangers on a day that is family oriented. However, anything to promote the capitalist destruction of family holidays.
    Of course you're on a judgmental trip, as exemplified further by this post. No one who enjoys going to see a movie on Thanksgiving sees it the way you describe it here. That's you simply writing down your nose at them.

    As you responded before my edit, I'll ask again here --

    By the way, at 12:26 PM EDT yesterday, when you were making that condescending post to me here, was that part of enjoying and singing songs with your family, and being thankful for what you have, keeping the spirit of the day sacred, unlike the unwashed masses you condemn?
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  10. #180
    Professor
    Phil_Osophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    I would have loved to work thanksgiving. Time and a hakf, biyotch

Page 18 of 55 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •