Page 16 of 55 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 546

Thread: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

  1. #151
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,134

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Sentimental hogwash, indeed. You ought to listen to Mr. Potter.


    happy Thanksgiving.

  2. #152
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,134

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    I think the present related stuff is absolute garbage, food retailers I think have an excuse.
    yeah, i don't entirely disagree with you there.

  3. #153
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,187

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    You didn't catch me saying all liberals are rich - those are your words. But the ones who are rich are often the snotty ones like Bloomburg or any number of Hollywood types who can't wait to look down on the masses and put them in their place.

    And you didn't catch me saying the workers at Whole Foods are "f'n wage scrubs" - those are your words. I honor all work but I expect people to honor their work commitment, that being to work the hours they agreed to when hired, the hours assigned, and for the wages they agreed to when hired or any such additional monies they have been granted through hard work or promotion.

    Entitlement is not big in my vocabulary, whether it's rich entitlement or poor entitlement. You get what you deserve and you deserve what you get unless you're willing to improve yourself and your value to someone who wants to buy your services.
    They're not my words, they're from the OP. That's what I object to most of all is the idea that because they actually work for a living, they're below contempt. Typical of the conservatives in this country who claim to be all about "traditional values," God, and the working man.

    Why don't we just make them work on Christmas too? After all, the Liberals took the "Christ" out of it right? No need to observe a religious holiday, and if you complain you're a "f'n wage scrub" to use the words of the OP. You think your "entitled" to things like holidays. Just don't say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" because you're trying to take religion out of the public sphere.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  4. #154
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    yeah, i don't entirely disagree with you there.
    I'm actually more upset with retailers trying to bypass the Thanksgiving holiday altogether and pre-pre-pre Christmas selling everything. I'm thinking they assume that the longer they extend the scope of holiday shopping the more business they get, but the fact is that demand will not increase with more "shopping days" but rather spread out to reflect the meeting of demand as people see fit. There may be a positive blip, but realistically marketing these "holiday" sales is going to end up costing as much as any minor gains from jumping Christmas sales.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #155
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post


    Happy thanksgiving.
    Sentimental hogwash!

  6. #156
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,988

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Nothing wrong with being poor. In fact, being poor is a much higher level, spiritually speaking, than being rich.

    The problem is government interference with the God-given rights of business owners to fire their employees for whatever reason they want.
    What kind of judgemental and unfounded crap is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #157
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,988

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    It's business, it only takes one competitor deciding to open on a holiday to force your hand. If there are so many customers in an area I have to fight to sell them my TV, so closing when my competitor opens cuts my slice of the buyers down. It sucks but that is business.
    I still have my choice. And I choose not to shop retail or at all if possible, on those holidays.

    Oh well, powdered creamer tomorrow am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  8. #158
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    may you never get fired for some idiotic reason cooked up by an empathy-free ideologue. your posts illustrate perfectly why i showed the libertarian party my taillights.

    happy holidays.
    Ah..so basically someone hurt your feelings. Your story is not a very interesting one, imho.

  9. #159
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    Business owners were have "God-given rights" to "fire their employees for whatever reason they want"? Is that in the Bible somewhere?
    The right to property and association.

  10. #160
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Whole Foods employees striking over requirements to work Thanksgiving

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    I don't agree that it's strikeworthy, but they shouldn't be forced to work Thanksgiving.
    Where the hell else am I gonna get my turkey?

Page 16 of 55 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •