Page 51 of 66 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 510 of 656

Thread: Corporations Aren't People

  1. #501
    Professor
    Phil_Osophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by Commie View Post
    Which is why I don't shop at Walmart, or buy crap at McDonalds!
    But, I am in a financial position to have more choices over how I use my dollars than many people who are poor and on the margins of society. And this reveals just how fake the facade is of so called freedumb-lovin libertarianism! Because, you know as well as I do (or you should), that the poor have less dollars to shop with...which greatly limits their shopping choices (I don't see welfare people shopping at Whole Foods), and they may have to use their limited dollars to buy crap made with sweatshop labour at Walmart, because the alternatives are out of their price range! While those who earn $100,000 and up, have even greater purchasing power. And, this reveals who has the freedom and who is trapped, after we transcend to libertarian nirvana. The libertarian dream is to have mass unemployment, so people are desperate for those walmart and mcdonalds jobs, and get payed so little that they can only afford to shop at walmart and for a treat: buy burgers at mcdonalds!
    You obviously dont know dick about libertarianism.

  2. #502
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,460
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    That's just . . . not true. There's plenty of prep which needs to be done. Have you ever worked food?
    Yes I have.

    What prep does McDonalds do that In n Out does not?
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  3. #503
    Professor
    Phil_Osophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Im at work. I will start a thread on the libertarian philosophy when i get home.

  4. #504
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:23 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,607

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Yes I have.

    What prep does McDonalds do that In n Out does not?
    They have about 50-60 more products needing prepped that In-N-Out doesn't have. Even something as simple as laying out different kinds of buns makes a difference.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  5. #505
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,460
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Osophy View Post
    Some people are more valuable than others, thats just a hard fact of life, wilbur.
    Indeed they are, and EVERYBODY knows that.

    Some just think they are so valuable others are worthless.

    NOBODY is REALLY thousands of times better than anybody else.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  6. #506
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Walmart pays about $8.50 average based on experience to start.

    So $.75/hr over minimum. $340/week gross

    In n Out $10.50. $2.75 over minimum. $420/wk gross.

    A difference of $80/wk, $320/month.

    Not exactly apples and apples.
    So you don't care that they are over the minimum wage... You are just concerned with them paying a "living wage". Well, neither company pays a "living wage".. So even your example fails at what you claim all businesses should be doing.

    Besides which, you further undermine your argument by stating that in n out's pay structure is for college students and the company expects them to move out of the position when it is time for raising a family and earning a living.

  7. #507
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by Commie View Post
    Is that because a senate stacked with state-appointed senators would be continually gridlocked? I'm a little sketchy on how an unelected senate approves things. If it were impossible to get Citizen's United through the Senate, would that mean other legislation....maybe even most legislation would be similarly stonewalled, and die waiting for senate approval?
    then the senate was in states hands and the house in the peoples hands, all legislation in congress had to bring both the interest of the people and the interest of the states together for it to pass. This meant everyone's interest was heard, and debate on bills would be slow, and carefully debated before it ever became law.

    Quote Originally Posted by Commie View Post
    It's worth noting that one of the great revelations of the discovery of how ALEC functions, is that the corporate financiers who get their lawyers together with invited politicians, for the purpose of presenting the politicos modeled legislation, concentrate more on state and local government; not the federal government! Before most of us became aware of how this game was played, it seemed a mystery that so many local governments across the USA were passing very similar legislation on topics from: privatizing prisons and public schools, to union-busting laws and even so called "Stand Your Ground" laws. Now, it's a mystery no longer! As the trail of money and influence can be traced back to the sources.
    the federal government is charged with only 18 powers per the constitution, all other powers are the states, the federal government [congress] has no authority in the life's. liberties and property of the American people, ..this from the founders ..federalist 45.

    one of the results of democracy is faction or special interest, those that complain about big business in government, and calling for more democracy are in fact getting more big business in their government. to end the power of that big business, we must return to the structure created by the founders, republican government, and put an end to the power, rich elites, who use our government for their own gain.

    Quote Originally Posted by Commie View Post
    How is democracy "at war" with individual rights? The subtle shift in rightwing rhetoric over the last 20 years against democracy...i.e. the constantly repeated refrain of right wing talking heads:'America is a representative republic, not a democracy,' shows the hand being played by libertarians and conservatives, that they don't really care about individual rights and freedoms and desires and all that claptrap! What the right cares about is MONEY. The right wants to replace democracy with dollarocracy, so those with more money are able to use their money more effectively to advance their own interests. And those who don't have as much money: Sad Day For You! And the tendency of capitalism to increase the gaps in income, is accelerated.
    in the U.S. every citizen has individual rights, however under democracy, there are no individual rights, rights are collective, they would come from the majority[majority rule], and that majority has the power to do anything, even change a constitution, they have the power to create or abolish rights, by giving the majority more rights and taking away rights from the minority.

    since I am an individual and American I have unalienable rights under republican government, ,meaning no one or majority rule has the power to take away rights from me, or you, no matter how many people wish to do it.

    when a nation is under democracy , the people have ALL DIRECT POWER, and if people have all direct power, this corrupts them, and they turn towards mob rule where the 51% dictate to the 49%.

    the founders gave us republican government, of divided power, the people have 50% direct power and the states have 50%, ..this keeps power separated, so that no one single entity can have all power and become tyrannical.

    under democracy elected representatives, instead of working for the people and the states [house and senate], start to work for those that will reward them with money, and helping them in the re-election, known as lobbyist, they buy our politicians, both in the house and senate through that lobbying. today Washington is filled with lobbyist getting legislation passed from both parts of congress which benefit them and not the people the politicians work for.....and why does this happen?

    because the checks and balances put into the constitution by the founders has been removed by politicians...which prevented lobbyist from lobbying our senators, today because of senators being directed elected, they are not held accountable to their state legislature any longer as they used to be before the 17th, because the state legislature chose the senator then, and he worked for them, and protected their interest.

    with the senate in the hands of the states, this provided a check on the federal government so it could not step outside of the constitution, and usurp state powers.

    it is democracy, which is filled with faction/ special interest which allows our senators to be lobbied by big business, and benefit the wealthy., which is why repealing the 17th would put power back in the states, place a check on the federal government, and stop most of the lobbying in Washington.
    Last edited by Master PO; 12-02-13 at 07:02 PM.

  8. #508
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,460
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    The point is, you didn't actually answer the question.
    Go back, read the posts again.

    I clearly said ignoring the "race to the bottom" could very well have consequences. Increasing, considerable wealth disparity has never ended well, historically. Choosing communism/socialism has been the choice before...
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  9. #509
    Professor
    Phil_Osophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Indeed they are, and EVERYBODY knows that.

    Some just think they are so valuable others are worthless.

    NOBODY is REALLY thousands of times better than anybody else.
    So what if some people think that?

    And maybe they are, maybe they arent. Depends really.

  10. #510
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:23 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,607

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Go back, read the posts again.
    I did. He asked what you wanted to do about it. You made a snarky post about "doing nothing" and the consequences thereof.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

Page 51 of 66 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •