Page 45 of 66 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast
Results 441 to 450 of 656

Thread: Corporations Aren't People

  1. #441
    Professor
    Phil_Osophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob N View Post
    I don't want the owner's business. Like I said: I will let the owner fire me so that I can get a lawyer.
    Show me one case where an owner fired someone because he disagreed with their political views. Good luck getting a lawyer if you dont even have a job. A cheap one is about 400$ an hour
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob N View Post
    I am not the company but I am part of it. And I would rather speak for myself.
    nothing is stopping you from speaking for yourself. And you can always not work there

  2. #442
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob N View Post
    Just because I work for a company does not mean that the owner has the right to control my beliefs. That owner can tell me what to do and where to work in that company but he/she does not have the right to make statements for me.
    how is he controlling your beliefes,...is he saying to you , you can NOT do (A) OUTSIDE YOUR WORK, because you work for me....that would be a violate of your rights.

    however when you are on another person's property,....you have NO EXECISABLE RIGHTS....

  3. #443
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Doesn't this really just come down to that (mostly) those on the left believe that if a business owner is not willing to provide free birth control to their employees, that the business owner is infringing on their rights...

    Rather then looking at it correctly and saying that the government forcing a business owner to provide birth control to their employees is infringing on the rights of the business?

    I don't believe any business is saying that their employees are forbidden from taking birth control.. Are they? If they are then I would agree that the business owner is infringing on the rights of their employees.

  4. #444
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob N View Post
    No. I'll let him fire me so that I can hire a lawyer.
    you wouldn't be that lucky since you would not be hired to begin with

  5. #445
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,980
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    I hear this from (mostly) people on the left all the time. The US is a "free market", not a "completely free market". Free markets can have some government controls.
    Define "some".


    If by "some" you actually mean a **** ton, then, we agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  6. #446
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Doesn't this really just come down to that (mostly) those on the left believe that if a business owner is not willing to provide free birth control to their employees, that the business owner is infringing on their rights...

    Rather then looking at it correctly and saying that the government forcing a business owner to provide birth control to their employees is infringing on the rights of the business?

    I don't believe any business is saying that their employees are forbidden from taking birth control.. Are they? If they are then I would agree that the business owner is infringing on the rights of their employees.
    The EMPLOYER'S beliefs are irrelevant here. The EMPLOYER is not required to provide birth control to anyone! The EMPLOYER'S role where the administration of health insurance that contains a birth control provision is to either: a) continue to provide his employees the opportunity to enroll or re-enroll in an employer-sponsored health insurance plan that presumably he has always provided prior to the law's enactment; OR, b) pay the tax penalty under the law. The EMPLOYER himself is NOT providing (as in making available) birth control to anyone. That responsibility rests with the insurance company.

    Furthermore, if the employee objects on religious grounds of having to pay for a health insurance policy that contains a birth control provision, he has an out-option available to him same as his employer or any other religious organization - apply for a waiver which would be his opt-out clause. If Hobby Lobby wins this case, such a ruling would in effect give employers (of large corporations) too much control over the personal and religious rights of their employees. It would be no different than the "government intruding in your personal life". Only replace "government" with "YOUR EMPLOYER".
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 12-01-13 at 10:49 PM.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  7. #447
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Define "some".


    If by "some" you actually mean a **** ton, then, we agree.
    Since the US is considered a free market, then I don't believe I need to define anything.

    I don't believe there is any country or economy that is completely free market - which is where you and I would probably agree.

  8. #448
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    The EMPLOYER'S beliefs are irrelevant here. The EMPLOYER is not required to provide birth control to anyone! The EMPLOYER'S role where the administration of health insurance that contains a birth control provision is to either: a) continue to provide his employees the opportunity to enroll or re-enroll in an employer-sponsored health insurance plan that presumably he has always provided prior to the law's enactment; OR, b) pay the tax penalty under the law. The EMPLOYER himself is NOT providing (as in making available) birth control to anyone. That responsibility rests with the insurance company.
    If the company is arranging the insurance and (I assume) paying a portion of the benefits, then they are being required to provide BC.

    It would be no different than the "government intruding in your personal life". Only replace "government" with "YOUR EMPLOYER".
    I don't particularly see it as an intrusion in any way. The employee still has the option to be on BC all they want, just not to expect his employer to provide.

    If the employer said "if you work here, you are not allowed to be on BC" that would be an intrusion in my view. to say, "if you work here, do not expect me to provide you BC", is not an intrusion.

  9. #449
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,451
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    It really wasn't. The small mom and pop stores would hire a couple of kids to checkout and bag groceries or even deliver them. There weren't a whole lot of dad's working there.

    But, for the sake of argument, let's say you are correct. Welcome to the 21st century, where if you want to make a decent living and enough to comfortably raise kids, you best have some marketable skills.

    Gone are the days of a grocery store paying what you would consider a living wage - as it just makes the cost of business too expensive and there are multitudes of individuals willing to take a job at a lower wage point.
    I can't fathom why you're so ok with the race to the bottom.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  10. #450
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    I can't fathom why you're so ok with the race to the bottom.
    I'm OK with the market setting wages and unskilled positions not making 50k/year - which is the "living wage" in my area.

Page 45 of 66 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •