Page 39 of 66 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 656

Thread: Corporations Aren't People

  1. #381
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob N View Post
    You're missing the point. Corporations do not have the right to speak for me collectively and say that it is a person -- a unit of one. If the owner wants to come out and say what he/she believes than fine -- just don't include the business as a whole because there will be dissent somewhere.
    how can that be?.......if i am an owner of a business, the business follows my lead, not the people who work for me [it is not a collective business]......if you dont like my lead, you are free to seek employment elsewhere.

  2. #382
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Why take it away, it is transparent the way it is, it goes under the table and becomes less transparent
    Well saying states have a thing called latitude, that does not equate to full transparency.

  3. #383
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Please note, I never said only HS/college kids work there. I said, that is what it is meant for. It is not meant for someone to take a job as a cashier and stay in that position, stagnating, for 30 years and make enough to raise a family and have a savings. Just because some do decide to stagnate in retail, does not change what retail really is.. non-skilled work that is paid as non-skilled work. People making low wages while working full time has been around forever... well before Walmart... Even if that is only as far back as you are aware of.
    It's not what it's meant for just because you say so. People of all ages work retail and have for ages. When the US was a power house in manufacturing, wages for low skilled workers were very good. Since the outsourcing of those jobs, we have seen a shift to more retail jobs in this country. I knew many people who worked full time in these jobs and raised families. I still do. Nothing wrong with full time workers making above poverty level wages. The attitude has changed though since Walmart has taken over a big portion of retail. It seems people expect full time retail workers to make poverty level wages because they deserve to live in poverty.

  4. #384
    Educator
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    03-25-14 @ 05:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    873

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    corporate_logo_flag_new-500x333.jpg

    If any of the many libertarian fools here actually read their history as much as they claim to, they might be aware that the American War of Independence was largely fought against the use of corporate power (Boston Tea Party!) that England used to control and manage their colonies. In the beginning:


    Corporate charters (licenses to exist) were granted for a limited time and could be revoked promptly for violating laws.
    Corporations could engage only in activities necessary to fulfill their chartered purpose.
    Corporations could not own stock in other corporations nor own any property that was not essential to fulfilling their chartered purpose.
    Corporations were often terminated if they exceeded their authority or caused public harm.
    Owners and managers were responsible for criminal acts committed on the job.
    Corporations could not make any political or charitable contributions nor spend money to influence law-making.

    For 100 years after the American Revolution, legislators maintained tight controll of the corporate chartering process. Because of widespread public opposition, early legislators granted very few corporate charters, and only after debate. Citizens governed corporations by detailing operating conditions not just in charters but also in state constitutions and state laws. Incorporated businesses were prohibited from taking any action that legislators did not specifically allow.

    States also limited corporate charters to a set number of years. Unless a legislature renewed an expiring charter, the corporation was dissolved and its assets were divided among shareholders. Citizen authority clauses limited capitalization, debts, land holdings, and sometimes, even profits. They required a company’s accounting books to be turned over to a legislature upon request. The power of large shareholders was limited by scaled voting, so that large and small investors had equal voting rights. Interlocking directorates were outlawed. Shareholders had the right to remove directors at will.

    In Europe, charters protected directors and stockholders from liability for debts and harms caused by their corporations. American legislators explicitly rejected this corporate shield. The penalty for abuse or misuse of the charter was not a plea bargain and a fine, but dissolution of the corporation.
    Our Hidden History of Corporations in the United States

    Those are the facts! Deal with it!

    What has happened, especially after the first hundred years of independence from England, is that the rights of corporations has steadily grown in size, as the rights of private citizens have shrunk. But, all these modern day libertarian fools are concerned with is the power of the state, while they allow private centers of power to consume entire economies and effectively control our lives.

  5. #385
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by Commie View Post
    corporate_logo_flag_new-500x333.jpg

    If any of the many libertarian fools here actually read their history as much as they claim to, they might be aware that the American War of Independence was largely fought against the use of corporate power (Boston Tea Party!) that England used to control and manage their colonies. In the beginning:



    Our Hidden History of Corporations in the United States

    Those are the facts! Deal with it!

    What has happened, especially after the first hundred years of independence from England, is that the rights of corporations has steadily grown in size, as the rights of private citizens have shrunk. But, all these modern day libertarian fools are concerned with is the power of the state, while they allow private centers of power to consume entire economies and effectively control our lives.
    Apparently, history doesn't matter and that is why the old saying
    “Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it” applies.

  6. #386
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Apparently, history doesn't matter and that is why the old saying
    “Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it” applies.
    You never struck me as a coummunist.

    Socialist, sure. Not a communist.

  7. #387
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by Commie View Post
    corporate_logo_flag_new-500x333.jpg

    If any of the many libertarian fools here actually read their history as much as they claim to, they might be aware that the American War of Independence was largely fought against the use of corporate power (Boston Tea Party!) that England used to control and manage their colonies. In the beginning:



    Our Hidden History of Corporations in the United States

    Those are the facts! Deal with it!

    What has happened, especially after the first hundred years of independence from England, is that the rights of corporations has steadily grown in size, as the rights of private citizens have shrunk. But, all these modern day libertarian fools are concerned with is the power of the state, while they allow private centers of power to consume entire economies and effectively control our lives.
    wrong, it was the power of the king.

    the founders list grievances against a king, not a corporation.

    if you believe as i do corporations have grown more powerful.....fine!.....then call for the end of democracy which promotes( special interest )...like corporations,. and return to republican government of the founders.......end the 17th amendment.

  8. #388
    Weekend Political Pundit
    Bob N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 11:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,821

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    how can that be?.......if i am an owner of a business, the business follows my lead, not the people who work for me [it is not a collective business]......if you dont like my lead, you are free to seek employment elsewhere.
    Not if you're talking about your thoughts on reproductive rights and are stating them as a collective statement you don't -- it may or may not reflect mine or someone else.
    "The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations." `Thomas Jefferson

  9. #389
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    “Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it” applies.
    YES.......... Statist fail everywhere, but still keep trying.

  10. #390
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    wrong, it was the power of the king.

    the founders list grievances against a king, not a corporation.

    if you believe as i do corporations have grown more powerful.....fine!.....then call for the end of democracy which promotes( special interest )...like corporations,. and return to republican government of the founders.......end the 17th amendment.
    here is a idea. maybe you should find a argument that can counter the argument of the original supporters of the 17th amendment.

    and about king george, he technically did not have absolute power as monarch, as this video series explains (start the video at miniute 18:44)

    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

Page 39 of 66 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •