Page 32 of 66 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 656

Thread: Corporations Aren't People

  1. #311
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Cutting wages does not mean lower prices. People living in the community still foot the bill for those low prices. They just pay them in the form of subsidies for the workers. That is not the way any business model should operate.
    Cutting wages does mean lower prices. But for food stamps, medicare, and welfare, reduce them and/or put additional requirements around them. I find it funny that the very people that insist we pay all these welfare programs and keep the requirements low are, for the most part, the very ones that complain that people have to use them and won't let the requirements be increased or payouts reduced. Walmart shouldn't have to pay some unskilled position $20.00 an hour just because some people want to make welfare programs available to more then we can afford.

  2. #312
    Professor
    Phil_Osophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Earth
    Last Seen
    11-11-14 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,450

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    The current welfare system is unsustainable. Fact

  3. #313
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Osophy View Post
    The current welfare system is unsustainable. Fact
    It is a fact.

    If not for the welfare state, employees would probably not take the jobs that pay less, forcing the employee to raise their prices to compete for the labor. (Mainly) Democrats have decided to subsidize lower wage employers by offering such benefits. If that's what people want, great, but then don't complain and act surprised when people or businesses take advantage of it.

  4. #314
    Guru
    Hamster Buddha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 06:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,675

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    It isn't always about direct contributions to politicians. Unions spend far more money on a wider range of political activities, including supporting state and local candidates and deploying what has long been seen as the unions' most potent political weapon: persuading members to vote as unions want them to. The new figures come from a little-known set of annual reports to the Labor Department in which local unions, their national parents and labor federations have been required to detail their spending on politics and lobbying since 2005.

    Political Spending by Unions

  5. #315
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Cutting wages does mean lower prices. But for food stamps, medicare, and welfare, reduce them and/or put additional requirements around them. I find it funny that the very people that insist we pay all these welfare programs and keep the requirements low are, for the most part, the very ones that complain that people have to use them and won't let the requirements be increased or payouts reduced. Walmart shouldn't have to pay some unskilled position $20.00 an hour just because some people want to make welfare programs available to more then we can afford.
    Lower wages does not automatically translate to lower consumer prices. It simple means lower operating cost for the employer/corporation. They shift the savings to other areas, I.e., pension funds, taxes, insurance, etc. But rarely do those cost savings go directly to merchandising. Corporations do what they always do when it comes to lowering the cost of goods - combine savings across the board with renegotiated contracts to buy best quality at lower prices at term. Either that or they do things the old fashioned way - buy the small business OR jump into that particular marketplace themselves, I.e., Walmart's lower prices for produce = they contract w/local farmers OR they buy the farm.
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 12-01-13 at 08:09 AM.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  6. #316
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    It is a fact.

    If not for the welfare state, employees would probably not take the jobs that pay less, forcing the employee to raise their prices to compete for the labor. (Mainly) Democrats have decided to subsidize lower wage employers by offering such benefits. If that's what people want, great, but then don't complain and act surprised when people or businesses take advantage of it.
    You can't have it both ways. You can't claim unions force higher wages then place the blame on competition for low wage jobs on social programs footing the bill for said employees basic health and survival needs, I.e., supplemental food cost (welfare/WIC) and health care (Medicai). Either it's unions that are causing the problems you claim exists or it's market demand forcing employers to raise wages to compete for the services of said "unskilled workers".
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  7. #317
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamster Buddha View Post
    It isn't always about direct contributions to politicians. Unions spend far more money on a wider range of political activities, including supporting state and local candidates and deploying what has long been seen as the unions' most potent political weapon: persuading members to vote as unions want them to. The new figures come from a little-known set of annual reports to the Labor Department in which local unions, their national parents and labor federations have been required to detail their spending on politics and lobbying since 2005.

    Political Spending by Unions
    So, it's really not about employee unions in the marketplace that bothers you. It's their political influence you worry about.

    Hmmmmm....interesting.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  8. #318
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,591

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    So, it's really not about employee unions in the marketplace that bothers you. It's their political influence you worry about.

    Hmmmmm....interesting.
    Unions typically work in two ways, from the bottom up (as they should) and from the top down (as they should not). Bargaining in good faith. on behalf of union workers, is one thing but getting special (anti competition) laws passed that favor unions, like the Davis-Bacon act, is quite another.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  9. #319
    User JohnnyDollar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    01-02-14 @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    67

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Are the people that run the corporation people? Do they not have the right to use their property in the way they see fit, to associate with who they desire, and provide services in the way they see fit? Oh right, for some reason they are lesser beings. Funny how that works. I find liberals are entirely missing the point. In order to protect the rights of people businesses can not be the slaves of the population as a whole.
    Are you sure that your not more republican than libertarian?

    The people that run corporations are people. The corporation itself isn't. HUGE difference. Contributions to a political campaign should not be done under the name of a corporation. But by the people themselves.

    You're allowing for foreign corporations, that have manufacturing/services in the USA, to dictate who gets elected in this country. Do we really want China, Japan, Saudi Arabia, Germany or any other to be picking our elected officials with their money? Money already corrupts politician campaigns. Just look at what Romney's money did to the 2012 election? And he was American.

  10. #320
    User JohnnyDollar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    01-02-14 @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    67

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    So, it's really not about employee unions in the marketplace that bothers you. It's their political influence you worry about.

    Hmmmmm....interesting.
    As anyone should worry about. It's one thing to bargain (or even demand) for better wages and/or benefits. It's another to force it upon the company with the government backing them. The government should remain neutral between the government, the people and the companies. Reagan opened this can of worms. And for some reason, still is praised (by republicans) for doing so. Forcing union employees to "return to work" was something he should've never done. It should've stayed between the air traffic controllers and their bosses.

    And BTW, the government should have very little to do with aviation. Except where our military is involved.

Page 32 of 66 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •