Page 30 of 66 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 656

Thread: Corporations Aren't People

  1. #291
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Well Gipper I agree with a lot of what you sat except I don't pay a premium. I shop for a family of 5 and have a very strict budget. I get lots of bang for my buck.
    I'd still like to see a sale paper. Down here we have a chain called Publix that pay people reasonably well, but DAMN are they hella expensive. I mean DAY-UM expensive.

    Food's great, great selection, fresh produce, good workers. You're paying out your ass though.

  2. #292
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I'd still like to see a sale paper. Down here we have a chain called Publix that pay people reasonably well, but DAMN are they hella expensive. I mean DAY-UM expensive.

    Food's great, great selection, fresh produce, good workers. You're paying out your ass though.
    I'm not familiar with Publix but when I lived in TN for 5 years, they had a place called a Food Lion which I found pricey. There was only one other store besides Walmart in my area (we traveled an extra 45 minutes to get to) called BiLo. Neither of those places had prices like I see here.

  3. #293
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    I'm not familiar with Publix but when I lived in TN for 5 years, they had a place called a Food Lion which I found pricey. There was only one other store besides Walmart in my area (we traveled an extra 45 minutes to get to) called BiLo. Neither of those places had prices like I see here.
    You gotta really have a chip to drive 45 minutes out of the way to grocery shop.

  4. #294
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    You gotta really have a chip to drive 45 minutes out of the way to grocery shop.
    Lol, I guess so.

  5. #295
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,772

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Let me guess, it is okay for a union to speak for all their members as a collective in endorsing a Progressive candidate? But, but....
    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Well, you are. You're talking about markets in your area paying workers more than the market determines that they're worth. If people want to expose themselves to that, they can.

    Put a Walmart supercenter in your area, and we'll see if people still don't mind paying a 30% higher grocery bill just so some high school scrub can get a Lexus.
    I hate it when threads take such drastic turns because somebody figured they were losing the argument so they skillfully deflect just to change the subject. You'll really not arguing the merits of competitive wages. You're really arguing corporate control. "He who controls the money controls..."...the world? Or atleast everything within their circle of influence. And Big Corp in bed w/big politics is exactly what you're arguing only you mask it by attemting to through people off by injecting false arguments into the equation, I.e., power of unions, competitive wages. The power of the corporation is in his profits. "Money talks" as they saying goes. Citizenz United took that saying and made it real.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  6. #296
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    I hate it when threads take such drastic turns because somebody figured they were losing the argument so they skillfully deflect just to change the subject. You'll really not arguing the merits of competitive wages. You're really arguing corporate control. "He who controls the money controls..."...the world? Or atleast everything within their circle of influence. And Big Corp in bed w/big politics is exactly what you're arguing only you mask it by attemting to through people off by injecting false arguments into the equation, I.e., power of unions, competitive wages. The power of the corporation is in his profits. "Money talks" as they saying goes. Citizenz United took that saying and made it real.
    Talk about strawmen. Competitive wage isn't what was being discussed. It is whether or not an organization speaks for all its members, meriting derivative Constitutional Bill of Rights protections. I assume you really hate it when people stay on topic, or at least in the ballpark

  7. #297
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I'd still like to see a sale paper. Down here we have a chain called Publix that pay people reasonably well, but DAMN are they hella expensive. I mean DAY-UM expensive.

    Food's great, great selection, fresh produce, good workers. You're paying out your ass though.
    The two largest chains in my area are Jewel (where my wife works) and Dominicks. Dominicks is going out of business (I think December is the end date), largely because their prices were so high - thanks in large part to their unions. A few years back Dominicks tried renegotiating with their unions to try to get a reasonable contract. They failed and tried to sell the business. No one was interested due to their labor costs. I live across the street from one, and used to stop in there to pick up an item or two - due to convenience - and almost always walked out with nothing due to their prices.

    Jewel is in trouble too.. Again due mainly to their union payroll. Their long time union work force makes their expenses so high, that they can't compete with Walmart and the other non-union stores up here and not high enough quality to compete with the Marianos and Whole Foods. I guess that happens when you are forced to pay your longer term cashiers $20.00 per hour ($30.00 on Sundays) plus benefits to grab an item and swipe it across a scanner.

  8. #298
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,772

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Those who are agruing against corporate person-hood do so on moral grounds. As such, you will lose your argument each and every time. Why? Because you can't legislate morality. Those who are for corporate person-hood do so from a legalistic standpoint, specifically equaly representation. Let's see if we can separate truth from fiction.

    Iindividuals are sentient beings. They think and act in their own self interest. Corporations are entities conceived by man. As such, their very power is derived by the laws that govern them instituted by man. The argument of "collective rights" of the employee through union representation versus the representative power approved by a corporation's Board of Directors as granted by majority vote by its shareholders who "own" a company's stock can be construed as the same. How?

    By this one simple act: communicating the voting actions to those most affected by the decision. Problem here is if there is no bridge - no voice -between the corporation and the emloyee, it in effect means the corporation can do whatever it wants and claims it did so in the interest of itself and/or its shareholders. And while is true that a corporation's first and second responsibilities are: 1) to make a profit, and 2) its shareholders, it's only as powerful as the people allow it to be.
    "A fair exchange ain't no robbery." Tupac Shakur w/Digital Underground

  9. #299
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    The two largest chains in my area are Jewel (where my wife works) and Dominicks. Dominicks is going out of business (I think December is the end date), largely because their prices were so high - thanks in large part to their unions. A few years back Dominicks tried renegotiating with their unions to try to get a reasonable contract. They failed and tried to sell the business. No one was interested due to their labor costs. I live across the street from one, and used to stop in there to pick up an item or two - due to convenience - and almost always walked out with nothing due to their prices.

    Jewel is in trouble too.. Again due mainly to their union payroll. Their long time union work force makes their expenses so high, that they can't compete with Walmart and the other non-union stores up here and not high enough quality to compete with the Marianos and Whole Foods. I guess that happens when you are forced to pay your longer term cashiers $20.00 per hour ($30.00 on Sundays) plus benefits to grab an item and swipe it across a scanner.
    False. In TN the two chains I mentioned had higher prices but we're not unionized. The difference is that Walmart has more power to dominate their suppliers.

  10. #300
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    False. In TN the two chains I mentioned had higher prices but we're not unionized. The difference is that Walmart has more power to dominate their suppliers.
    Tell it to the grocery market analysts that have reviewed the market and made those determinations. I can't speak to what is occurring in TN in your area, but I suspect there is more then what you are saying.

Page 30 of 66 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •