Page 20 of 66 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 656

Thread: Corporations Aren't People

  1. #191
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Um, because they want to claim personhood.
    Would you want to deny them this if they're being taxed?
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  2. #192
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    None of those years used are current, but let's still have some fun.

    Bank of America
    Had $17.2 billion in profits offshore in 2012 on which it paid no U.S. taxes. Reported it would owe $4.3 billion in U.S. taxes if profits are brought home.
    Key word - offshore. As mentioned later in the sentence, taxes are paid when money repatriates.

    Citigroup
    Had $42.6 billion in profits offshore in 2012 on which it paid no U.S. taxes. Reported it would owe $11.5 billion in U.S. taxes if profits are brought home.
    See above.

    ExxonMobil
    Paid just a 15% federal income tax rate from 2010-2012, less than half the official 35% corporate tax rate – a tax subsidy of $6.2 billion. Had $43 billion in profits offshore in 2012 on which it paid no U.S. taxes.
    Energy companies always get subsidies. That's why you pay 3 bucks a gallon and not 8. I wouldn't complain too much. Also, they repatriated quite a bit of overseas treasury money, which is why their current effective tax rate is 39% (as I alluded to above - no honest women in their 40s).

    I'm not going to highlight every last damn one, but they're on that list because of contracts and subsidies. Government contracts are used to offset taxable corporate income, rather than just counting it toward actual corporate revenue. Kind of a bunk trick, but oh well. Your problem is with Uncle Sam, not corporations. It also works about the same way with subsidies, as they just go toward tax abatement as opposed to gross revenue. It's an accounting trick.

    What's also not mentioned is that many of these are parent companies with subsidiaries that pay taxes, but are offset by divisions that show loss, thereby being offset through upstream taxation.

    Keep going. I'm enjoying this.

  3. #193
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    I've not noticed a point you have made, but I have noticed your reliance on using the points others have attempted to make with your links...
    Then go back and re-read the post. They are links to back up every point I made.

  4. #194
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Would you want to deny them this if they're being taxed?
    No, perhaps it's better to take away corporate income tax if it's coupled with corporate personhood. I'm good with that trade off.

  5. #195
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Then go back and re-read the post. They are links to back up every point I made.
    My post related to any point YOU have made and can backup through your own arguements, not one with which you find comfortable to link...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  6. #196
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    No, perhaps it's better to take away corporate income tax if it's coupled with corporate personhood. I'm good with that trade off.
    A sliver of hope emerges...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  7. #197
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    If you tell corporations that they'll start being taxed like individuals, you'll see every CEO of every major corporation strain his fat, old body doing somersaults in his suit.

  8. #198
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    None of those years used are current, but let's still have some fun.



    Key word - offshore. As mentioned later in the sentence, taxes are paid when money repatriates.



    See above.



    Energy companies always get subsidies. That's why you pay 3 bucks a gallon and not 8. I wouldn't complain too much. Also, they repatriated quite a bit of overseas treasury money, which is why their current effective tax rate is 39% (as I alluded to above - no honest women in their 40s).

    I'm not going to highlight every last damn one, but they're on that list because of contracts and subsidies. Government contracts are used to offset taxable corporate income, rather than just counting it toward actual corporate revenue. Kind of a bunk trick, but oh well. Your problem is with Uncle Sam, not corporations. It also works about the same way with subsidies, as they just go toward tax abatement as opposed to gross revenue. It's an accounting trick.

    What's also not mentioned is that many of these are parent companies with subsidiaries that pay taxes, but are offset by divisions that show loss, thereby being offset through upstream taxation.

    Keep going. I'm enjoying this.
    Why would my problem be with Uncle Sam? Is it because he works on their behalf? Yes, true. Their lobbying power gives them plenty of sway. I've never claimed otherwise. Actually, that is my entire point. They get their cake and eat it too.

  9. #199
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    My post related to any point YOU have made and can backup through your own arguements, not one with which you find comfortable to link...
    List one for example.

  10. #200
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Corporations Aren't People

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob N View Post
    I found this opinion piece by Harold Meyerson to be spot on concerning corporations being brought in to the world of personhood.

    Is it alright for corporations to speak for their employees on all matters as a collective? I don't think so.

    Also consider this: Where does this corporations-are-people business start and stop? Note the excerpt from Meyerson's piece:

    Harold Meyerson makes one think about personhood, don't you think? What about wars? People are drafted and go to wars, why not include corporations? Corporations get to itemize a lot of things on their taxes more than the average Joe or Jane. Why do they get to be a special person with extraordinary fiscal relationships with the state?

    Yes, I think Scalia is looking to see how he is going to open this can of worms -- real carefully.
    There is no draft. However to your point I am going to assume that every person on the board, and every shareholder over 18 is registered for selective service and would be eligible to be drafted under the same rules as everyone else.
    "It is only when men contemplate the greatness of God that they can come to realize their own inadequacy." Jean Calvin

Page 20 of 66 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •