Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 40

Thread: Joan Rivers Tells It Like It Is

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Joan Rivers Tells It Like It Is

    People just need to get over these kind of things.

  2. #12
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Last Seen
    11-16-17 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,775

    Re: Joan Rivers Tells It Like It Is

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Baldwin is free to cast as many aspersions and slurs as he wants to. Last time I looked, he hasn't been thrown in jail for what he said

    But freedom includes a businesses freedom to hire and fire him
    I certainly agree. I guess I've just tired with hyper-sensitivity exhibited by almost every 'special interest' group whomever they may be; that, and blatant pandering, self serving hypocrisy by all segments of media.

    Have a good one, Sangha

    Thom Paine

  3. #13
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Joan Rivers Tells It Like It Is

    Quote Originally Posted by Thom Paine View Post
    I certainly agree. I guess I've just tired with hyper-sensitivity exhibited by almost every 'special interest' group whomever they may be; that, and blatant pandering, self serving hypocrisy by all segments of media.

    Have a good one, Sangha

    Thom Paine
    Media businesses have the right and the freedom to be as "sensitive" as they want about whatever they want to be sensitive about.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #14
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Last Seen
    11-16-17 @ 04:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,775

    Re: Joan Rivers Tells It Like It Is

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    Media businesses have the right and the freedom to be as "sensitive" as they want about whatever they want to be sensitive about.
    Again, you find agreement here. I might extrapolate but it would likely derail the thread... another subject, another thread, another time.



    Thom Paine

  5. #15
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Joan Rivers Tells It Like It Is

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    However, that's not what the Baldwin controversy is about. What it's about is how he used someone's sexual orientation as the basis of a slur.
    I think he'd feel very comfortable posting at DP. Come on in Alec, the water's lovely!
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  6. #16
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,690

    Re: Joan Rivers Tells It Like It Is

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I think she makes two good points:

    1) Comedians have no use for PC (except to make fun of it)
    It's their bread and butter. Actually, if you think about it, their entire purpose is to stand outside society and critique or evaluate. Truth be told, many of them are otherwise liberals or leftists, and they support being against certain ideas, which express themselves in words. The difference is, to them either we shouldn't care about the naughty words, or only they shouldn't care about the naughty words. Many times it's the latter. I always found it to be a style of elitism within the comedy world.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  7. #17
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Joan Rivers Tells It Like It Is

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    It's their bread and butter. Actually, if you think about it, their entire purpose is to stand outside society and critique or evaluate. Truth be told, many of them are otherwise liberals or leftists, and they support being against certain ideas, which express themselves in words. The difference is, to them either we shouldn't care about the naughty words, or only they shouldn't care about the naughty words. Many times it's the latter. I always found it to be a style of elitism within the comedy world.
    Yes, it's the old "I stand against your elitism which gives you the power to define what is acceptable and what is not. That power belongs to me!"

    Gotta admit, that's one funny bit!
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  8. #18
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,868

    Re: Joan Rivers Tells It Like It Is

    IMO, the bigger deal you make over this stuff, the more power you give those words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #19
    Hot Flash Mama
    Summerwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Seen
    01-23-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,010

    Re: Joan Rivers Tells It Like It Is

    Joan, who I actually don't like, is essentially right. I am waaaay tired of people letting words hurt them. They're just words! That said, when Joan said them they were not offensive because she was simply commenting about the words, not screaming them to intimidate and humiliate an individual or group. I think that is the primary difference between comedy and what Baldwin did. Baldwin used it to harm, and if we are going to police words, that should be the only measure is the intent. I mean, I can walk up to the boys at the skatepark, and because they love me, I love them, and I've heard them say it too each other... I'm sure I could say, "hey nig, how are you this mornin'" and be nonetheworseforwear. But if in the heat of something I called someone in the same group nig, I'd probably fear for my life.

    In the end though we all need to look at intent. For example, my "Bless your heart" would probably get me banned if it's intent were to be judged as opposed to the words themselves.
    jallman: "It's all good. At least you have a thick skin and can take being poked fun back at without crying. "

  10. #20
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Joan Rivers Tells It Like It Is

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I think she makes two good points:

    1) Comedians have no use for PC (except to make fun of it)

    2) Everyone is "something" (an ethnic or social minority of some kind)

    However, that's not what the Baldwin controversy is about.
    What it's about is how he used someone's sexual orientation as the basis of a slur
    .



    That will never be OK.

    I'll just add that in general I am opposed to all of the PC bull****.

    But some things should never be said.




    "Political correctnest does not legislate tolerance; it only organises hatred.
    Last edited by shrubnose; 11-27-13 at 02:45 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •