Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 174

Thread: Vancouver Bans Doorknobs...

  1. #151
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,243

    Re: Vancouver Bans Doorknobs...

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    So your concrete/masonry homes are actually composite homes, using rigid insulation in between the layers of concrete/masonry, the insulated forms, and super light wieght concrete either air entrained or filled with some sort of fibers. yes QUITE expensive, we looked into them. 3X the cost per square foot compared to a conventional 'stick' wall.

    I can't argue many buildings can be superior to code, but then money does become an object (as opposed to money being no object) I believe we were talking in a slightly more affordable context, at the very least interior walls, treatments and of course furniture that can be deadly from smoke and fumes.
    I remember seeing a type of hollow core masonry block wall system that involved stacking the blocks in half bond and then locking them in place with rods driven thru the voids which were then filled with a nonCFC styrofoam type bead. It was very thermally efficient and fireproof.

  2. #152
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,266

    Re: Vancouver Bans Doorknobs...

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    So your concrete/masonry homes are actually composite homes, using rigid insulation in between the layers of concrete/masonry, the insulated forms, and super light wieght concrete either air entrained or filled with some sort of fibers. yes QUITE expensive, we looked into them. 3X the cost per square foot compared to a conventional 'stick' wall.
    True, but it is available and it is superior to code.

    I can't argue many buildings can be superior to code, but then money does become an object (as opposed to money being no object) I believe we were talking in a slightly more affordable context, at the very least interior walls, treatments and of course furniture that can be deadly from smoke and fumes.
    There is also treated structural steel built on a slab with light gage metal studs for interior walls, none of which would be bearing. That approach is essentially commercial construction. Such methods are effective for larger houses in areas where there is no fire department or public systems available - assuming both safety and insurance are a concern.

  3. #153
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,266

    Re: Vancouver Bans Doorknobs...

    Quote Originally Posted by tech30528 View Post
    I remember seeing a type of hollow core masonry block wall system that involved stacking the blocks in half bond and then locking them in place with rods driven thru the voids which were then filled with a nonCFC styrofoam type bead. It was very thermally efficient and fireproof.
    That system was originally developed in Canada. There are homes in my area that are constructed using that system or a similar variant.

  4. #154
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,010

    Re: Vancouver Bans Doorknobs...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    ugh, does that also apply to steaks?
    No - that was the weird thing as we could get a steak to order as we wanted it. The good thing about going to the Canadian maritimes is the seafood you get breakfast lunch and dinner. But after four or five days of it we both were really craving a good burger.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #155
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,683
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Vancouver Bans Doorknobs...

    This is unacceptable!! If all our doors had levers instead of doorknobs, our cats would run the entire house instead of just most of it.

  6. #156
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,927

    Re: Vancouver Bans Doorknobs...

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    ummm is this a house or place of business? How urban is the area? Is this a single occupancy dwelling?
    Its a house, countryside about 20 miles outside of town on 40aces. There are other places around mostly my acreage or farms. Single family occupancy with a couple of types of shops on the property. The server room is used for several different purposes business and hobby related.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  7. #157
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,243

    Re: Vancouver Bans Doorknobs...

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    That system was originally developed in Canada. There are homes in my area that are constructed using that system or a similar variant.
    Is it as good as advertised? It gets flippin COLD up there!

  8. #158
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Vancouver Bans Doorknobs...

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    No - that was the weird thing as we could get a steak to order as we wanted it. The good thing about going to the Canadian maritimes is the seafood you get breakfast lunch and dinner. But after four or five days of it we both were really craving a good burger.
    Oh man, the seafood around Vancouver and Seattle is amazing. In fact, one of my favorite Sushi joints is in seattle

    Shiro's Sushi Restaurant

    place is amazing

  9. #159
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,010

    Re: Vancouver Bans Doorknobs...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    Oh man, the seafood around Vancouver and Seattle is amazing. In fact, one of my favorite Sushi joints is in seattle

    Shiro's Sushi Restaurant

    place is amazing

    I sure wish i knew this when we went there. We had some great sushi in a hotel restaurant which I cannot remember the name, but this one sounds terrific. thanks for the recommendation.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #160
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Vancouver Bans Doorknobs...

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    I have pretty severe arthritis in my wrists and thumbs, and I have been replacing all my old door knobs in my house with lever type knobs. It's so much nicer when it doesn't hurt to open a door.
    I get it completely.
    Then clearly, my new home needs to not have door knobs in it because someday you may be in it even though I don't know you, have no desire to know yo, have no desire to have you in my home, and have no desire to have my design preferences of my private residence decided by your medical decision.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •