Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 230

Thread: 'Gay' columnist blasts same-sex marriage

  1. #211
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,808

    Re: 'Gay' columnist blasts same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Yep... It's trying to destroy established institutions.
    Are you claiming that all 'established institutions' are good? Morally, Constitutionally, socially?

    Cuz there's a few tired examples that I would challenge that with, like slavery and women's rights. Even polygamy.....still common in other countries and once, here.

    When it is about 'discrimination' and denying the part where "All men are created equal,' then 'established institutions' should go the way of the dinosaurs IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #212
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: 'Gay' columnist blasts same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    In the study, he only considers "children" who still live at home between the ages of 17-22. This does not take into consideration children who may be living independently or children living at college. There is no data for children of gay or straight parents NOT living at home. Further, how long were the children living in the family situation in which the study coded them? If a child, at 18, lived with gay parents... but lived with straight parents or a single parent for 17 years, they'd be coded as the child of gay parents. This causes significant problems with the results.
    Sure, there are children missing, but this is the study with the largest sample size and most controlled variables. I see no way that the other studies are superior. If you want to look at a certain subset of gay parents, say those who raise children from childhood, go ahead and do it, but it's much rarer than widely believed.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  3. #213
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: 'Gay' columnist blasts same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    No. When conducting these kinds of studies, randomization is nearly impossible.
    Thus the larger the sample size the better.

    This is the absolute most appropriate way to garner the information needed. This is not a confound but a strength.
    That's garbage. If you don't ask the adults then you have no idea how the kids actually turn out.

    Several of the studies use objective testing to attain the results. This is more accurate.
    Are you going to say that this was not objective and that the opinion of the children doesn't matter?

    When conducting studies like these, this kind of total control is pretty much impossible. The studies quoted do as well as possible.
    Not as well as this study.

    As soon as I saw the link, I knew it was the study by Mark Regnerus. That study has been completely discredited as "junk" by the ASA for poor methodology and partiality. There are so many problems with the study, it's hard to know where to begin. ONE of the major methodological flaws is that Regnerus coded a parent as a single sex parent if they had EVER had a single sex relationship, regardless of whether or not it had anything to do with parenting. Next, the study did not consider whether the child had actually LIVED with the parent who had the single sex relationship... at the time of the relationship or ever. Further, the study considers the CHILD'S perception of whether or not the parent had a same-sex relationship, not the parent's. This is different than every other study performed and is based on a possible incomplete recollection. Finally, the study tends to focus on adult outcomes which may have been caused by other factors. THIS is why, in contrast to what you said, asking question about children during CHILDHOOD is the appropriate and accurate way to measure success, as this measure limits potential confounds. Regnerus himself admitted in later interviews that this coding may not have had anything to do with whether or not those parents were gay. So, your conclusions based on Regnerus's study are as irrelevant as his study is. VERY poor research on this issue, phattonez.

    For more information, here are two links that discuss the discrediting:

    Mark Regnerus Admits His 'Family Structures' Study Wasn't About Gay Parenting | ThinkProgress

    And here is the ASA brief that shows how the study is junk. Scroll to page 16:

    http://www.asanet.org/documents/ASA/...x_Marriage.pdf

    Nice try, but once again, you posted a study that has no credibility because of major methodological flaws.

    Oh, and btw... when talking about biased researchers, Regnerus is a conservative evangelical Christian who received $700,000 to fund his study from the Witherspoon Institute... a conservative think tank opposed to SSM.
    No CC, this is the best research on the issue, and you instead choose to follow studies that throw out parents and have tiny sample sizes.

    https://chronicle.com/article/An-Aca...-da-F-/133107/

    Those who are attacking Regnerus cannot admit their true political motives, so their strategy has been to discredit him for conducting "bad science." That is devious. His article is not perfect—no article ever is. But it is no scientifically worse than what is routinely published in sociology journals. Without a doubt, had Regnerus published different findings with the same methodology, nobody would have batted a methodological eye. Furthermore, none of his critics raised methodological concerns about earlier research on the same topic that had greater limitations, which are discussed in detail in the Regnerus article. Apparently, weak research that comes to the "right" conclusions is more acceptable than stronger studies that offer heretical results.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  4. #214
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: 'Gay' columnist blasts same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Actually, you didn't. What you did was failed to point out flaws in the studies, actually MADE up one flaw that isn't accurate, and posted a study that is so flawed that the governing body (The ASA) that the researcher is part of, condemned the study as "junk". EVEN THE RESEARCHER admitted that his study didn't measure what he claimed.
    I pointed out plenty of flaws, you just ignored them because you liked the conclusions of the other studies.

    What's funny is that you didn't do anything that you attempted. You didn't point out major flaws in the studies that I posted... and btw... those were the studies that I have posted here at DP for years... and the study that YOU posted was one that was completely discredited. Now, my guess is that you are going to google other studies that you believe prove your position, but have already been discredited, too. There are a couple of famous ones. Let's see if you hit them.
    What's funny is that these other papers are objectively worse and not nearly as vilified as the Regnerus study. How telling.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  5. #215
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: 'Gay' columnist blasts same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    You're taking it rather personal. I never stated you weren't a real libertarian. I implied your view on this is not libertarian. It isn't. Abortion and MSAs don't even compare as both are advocated against/for on a societal wide scale. You seem to want to bar adoption/child bearing for gays and gays alone. Ignoring the fact that a) they make up only 3% of the population and it has been proven over and over again that they pose no threat to children and b) the standards you want to us use to bar child bearing or adoption for gays could easily be applied to some racial minorities (blacks & natives), junkies, musicians, and basically anyone between the ages of 19-25 in a metropolitan area. Would you support barring any of those groups from bearing children? Obviously not. You're a libertarian.
    I'd like to see where I supposedly stated that the state should bar gays from adopting children. I'm against it, to be sure, but please find where I said that the state should actively ban it.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  6. #216
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: 'Gay' columnist blasts same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    Which is irrelevant, so I am not sure why you are bringing it up.
    It's entirely relevant, because that is the picture that gay activists try to paint for us.

    No it hasn't always been about children. I just explained how it is obvious that it isn't and hasn't been, and you just didn't even address those points.
    Only for the past about 50 years has it not been about children and rather simply mutual attraction.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  7. #217
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: 'Gay' columnist blasts same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    The purist libertarian view on marriage is the government needs to get out of it entirely because the institution discriminates against single people.
    That is my position, but not because it discriminates, but rather that there is no need for it.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  8. #218
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: 'Gay' columnist blasts same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    What do single-parent homes have to do with gay *marriage* or even gay couples with kids? Those are two parent families. You shouldnt be extending that study to gay marriage....a single gay mother or father....would their stats be any different? *That* would be a relevant study if we were discussing single-parent homes.
    This happens often with gay parenting, apparently.

    Yuh, I know but you still dont seem to understand what 'biological' means. And that's what I commented on, lolol. How often do you see single parent homes where that parent is not the biological parent of the kid? *sigh* I really did have to spell that out, didnt I?
    And the children from this scenario do terribly. Children are best served by their biological parentS, not parent.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  9. #219
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: 'Gay' columnist blasts same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    Not entirely facetiously. Divorce represents a far larger threat to the "traditional" marriage than gays ever could, and is proven to harm both children specifically, and society as a whole. If anti-gay marriage folks were truly concerned about marriage, they would be seeking the repeal of no-fault divorce laws rather than stopping the legalisation of gay marriage.
    Rather than? As if we should ignore the issues with gay "marriage"? Nonsense.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  10. #220
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,868
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: 'Gay' columnist blasts same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Rather than? As if we should ignore the issues with gay "marriage"? Nonsense.
    You cannot make an argument against gay marriage that doesn't apply more strongly to divorce. Whether you're arguing harm against kids or society, biblical prohibition or immorality, it applies far more to divorce than gay marriage.

    Even if gay marriage was legalised, and proven to be harmful, it could not match the harm caused by divorce on sheer scale.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •