Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 230

Thread: 'Gay' columnist blasts same-sex marriage

  1. #171
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: 'Gay' columnist blasts same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    It did. Civil unions stopped being an option when conservatives started including them in state constitutional bans. They are only an option now because SSM is making gains across the country. But I don't see any conservatives jumping to repeal bans on civil unions, only asking the odd question of why gays won't accept the very thing that conservatives went out of their way to ban. Does that not strike you as a bit weird?
    I kinda se eyour point, however it doesn't address the core of my question. My question concerned why it's important for two of the same sex to have a traditional marriage if it's not important for that marriage to have the traditional participants.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  2. #172
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: 'Gay' columnist blasts same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I kinda se eyour point, however it doesn't address the core of my question. My question concerned why it's important for two of the same sex to have a traditional marriage if it's not important for that marriage to have the traditional participants.
    If there were a legally recognized union that was the same as marriage in every legal respect but was referred to by a different name then I would be fine with it. Most gay people I know would not have any problem with a civil union as long as it was legally the same as marriage. We didn't make that decision. Social conservatives made that decision. And now that the decision has been made it really plays no part in the discussion except for as a last ditch effort by social conservatives to paint gay rights supporters as the unreasonable ones. Your side on this issue pushed through around 20 state bans on civil unions in this country and NOW you want to suddenly talk about civil unions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  3. #173
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,732

    Re: 'Gay' columnist blasts same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I'm sure you meant that facetiously, but, in reality, divorce is too prevalent in our society, and we really should be looking at ways to curb the divorce rate for the sake of the family.
    Just IMO we should be looking at ways to convince people to wait to marry until they are more mature and ready. I dont think we should be 'encouraging' marriage for the sake of the family, period. Financially and mentally stable households...no matter how many parents or what gender are the best foundations for children.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #174
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,732

    Re: 'Gay' columnist blasts same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by mfriedmanrocks View Post
    I wonder why I keep writing responses because it's as if no one actually reads my posts...All i am trying to say is that a mother's love is important, agree? or disagree?

    i've said more than several times that gay couples are more than able to adopt and raise children for Christ sake's I'm not denying them any rights, but why not give the child first the opportunity to have an adoptive mother??? I'm not forcing anyone to do anything...or causing loveless marriages???

    That doesnt matter. Because you cant invent it or force it or find one for a kid if there isnt one available.

    You can, however, enable loving families by supporting adoption, gay marriage, gay adoption, etc etc etc.

    You never answered my question about how to set that up...you know, someone ELSE playing God and letting the straight couples pick from the available kids first (oops, there go all the blond, blue-eyed, perfect kids), then what....who picks next? Gay couples? Gay male couples? Lesbian couples? Straight single women? Straight single men? I guess whoever some 'administrator' feels is the least perfect parent(s) gets the kids no one else chooses?

    I"m sure that occurs now anyway to a certain extent but people should be judged on their ability to provide the best home for kids and while a biological mother or some other female (that seems to be your implication) is nice, it is by no means needed to raise happy and well-adjusted kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #175
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: 'Gay' columnist blasts same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    If there were a legally recognized union that was the same as marriage in every legal respect but was referred to by a different name then I would be fine with it. Most gay people I know would not have any problem with a civil union as long as it was legally the same as marriage. We didn't make that decision. Social conservatives made that decision. And now that the decision has been made it really plays no part in the discussion except for as a last ditch effort by social conservatives to paint gay rights supporters as the unreasonable ones. Your side on this issue pushed through around 20 state bans on civil unions in this country and NOW you want to suddenly talk about civil unions.
    There you go overgeneralizing again. I've always been in support of civil unions.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  6. #176
    Educator Amandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Last Seen
    06-19-15 @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 'Gay' columnist blasts same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I kinda se eyour point, however it doesn't address the core of my question. My question concerned why it's important for two of the same sex to have a traditional marriage if it's not important for that marriage to have the traditional participants.
    The main reason is civil unions do not protect their rights the same as a marriage does especially when dealing with other states. Health care choices can be denied to the same sex partner in other states then the one issuing the civil union. Problems can come up with inheritance and custody as well.

    A lesser concern with mine is I do not believe in "seperate but equal". There should not be two different ways of doing the same thing in the law.

  7. #177
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: 'Gay' columnist blasts same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by mfriedmanrocks View Post
    I wonder why I keep writing responses because it's as if no one actually reads my posts...All i am trying to say is that a mother's love is important, agree? or disagree?

    i've said more than several times that gay couples are more than able to adopt and raise children for Christ sake's I'm not denying them any rights, but why not give the child first the opportunity to have an adoptive mother??? I'm not forcing anyone to do anything...or causing loveless marriages???
    No i do not agree. Gender has no impact on attachment. The newborn becomes attached to a few people who spend time with it, which usually includes the mother. Obviously an adopted kid will have been cut off from those attachments and have to form new ones, but the gender doesn't matter.

    Why not? Because it's discriminatory, senseless, and will and has led to sham marriages when a person can't have kids thru other means.

    Way to totally ignore the scenario i gave of gay couples involving the female relative. Looks like you need to learn to read yourself.

  8. #178
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: 'Gay' columnist blasts same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by mfriedmanrocks View Post
    I can see that you've misunderstood everything I said...this is the problem with our society, we've blinded ourselves into thinking that al that is important is gay rights gay rights...adopting children has nothing to do with gay rights. And of course if you place an extreme between a gay couple who is normal and a white trash family the gay couple would adopt. Anyways there's no point in debating because youre not getting my point. You're creating a situation where it's either lousy parents or gay parents. We need to stop acting like every gay couple is the saviour to children.
    Adoption is crucial to gay rights because it's the primary means of having kids. Those "extremes" are actually the norm, given 50% divorce rate. Now if you aren't willing to take kids away from divorced parents, because after all owning kids "has nothing to do with" heterosexual rights either, then i call BS on your "think of the children." Clearly to you that only applies when it comes to denigrating gay couples.
    Last edited by chromium; 11-25-13 at 08:09 PM.

  9. #179
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: 'Gay' columnist blasts same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by Amandi View Post
    The main reason is civil unions do not protect their rights the same as a marriage does especially when dealing with other states. Health care choices can be denied to the same sex partner in other states then the one issuing the civil union. Problems can come up with inheritance and custody as well.

    A lesser concern with mine is I do not believe in "seperate but equal". There should not be two different ways of doing the same thing in the law.
    Separate but equal has merit, however if it's something different, doesn't it deserve it's own institution?
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  10. #180
    Educator Amandi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Delaware
    Last Seen
    06-19-15 @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    905
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 'Gay' columnist blasts same-sex marriage

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    Separate but equal has merit, however if it's something different, doesn't it deserve it's own institution?
    Seperate but equal is never equal. I dont see any difference besides the genders of the participants between the two. I dont think anything should legally be different because of genders.

Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •