Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 141

Thread: Gallup: 76% Of Americans Support A Minimum Wage Increase

  1. #121
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,513

    Re: Gallup: 76% Of Americans Support A Minimum Wage Increase

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    The 47% of Americans who "pay no [federal] income taxes" includes retired seniors and deployed combat troops. Go ahead, call them leeches on society. I'll wait.




    I understand that the real world is more complicated than that Econ 101 class you may or may not have taken. The real world requires evidence.
    That 47% is now down to 43%, thanks to (fill in the blank).
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  2. #122
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,714

    Re: Gallup: 76% Of Americans Support A Minimum Wage Increase

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    That 47% is now down to 43%, thanks to (fill in the blank).
    Obummer raisin our taxes! *fistshake*
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Gallup: 76% Of Americans Support A Minimum Wage Increase

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    This really shouldn't be something to argue about.

    Wages never increase proportionately with the supply and quality of goods and services because laborers are locked into their employment by their life situations, which means industry leaders can stall out increasing wages while capitalizing on the profits to expand their businesses by attracting more investors and expanding operations to new markets. No matter how little a company's success translates into a pay raise for the little guy, it takes a long time before selling your house, uprooting your family, and taking a gamble on a new job somewhere else seems like a more economically feasible option.

    Such cost cutting measures have obvious short term advantages for individual economic units, but it undermines capitalism on the whole because making wealth inaccessible depresses the labor necessary to create it. While each individual unit only adds to this problem bit by tiny bit, all of them adding to it together over long periods of time creates significant problem spots in our market.

    Even Adam Smith knew that.
    If that were true, then why do countries like China have wages increases that are outpacing gains in productivity? Why are tens of millions of people lifted out of global poverty every year? You'd think they'd be getting poorer, if everything you say is true.

  4. #124
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Gallup: 76% Of Americans Support A Minimum Wage Increase

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    The 47% of Americans who "pay no [federal] income taxes" includes retired seniors and deployed combat troops. Go ahead, call them leeches on society. I'll wait.
    Paying no income taxes doesn't mean 'leeches', it means they pay no income taxes. That's all. So it seems while you first claim it is a false number, you have yet to disprove it.


    I understand that the real world is more complicated than that Econ 101 class you may or may not have taken. The real world requires evidence.
    This has nothing to do with wage increases, but it does fit well with your lack of evidence about the number of people that pay no income taxes.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  5. #125
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Gallup: 76% Of Americans Support A Minimum Wage Increase

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    If that were true, then why do countries like China have wages increases that are outpacing gains in productivity? Why are tens of millions of people lifted out of global poverty every year? You'd think they'd be getting poorer, if everything you say is true.
    ... because their governments force them to.

    It also helps that they were undervalued to begin with, and that the international jobs market has become more competitive as foreign corporations are stretched to capacity trying to find new unexploited sources of labor.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 11-17-13 at 02:29 PM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  6. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Gallup: 76% Of Americans Support A Minimum Wage Increase

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    ... because their governments force them to?
    Or perhaps a strain on supply of workers after these new markets have been exhausted?

  7. #127
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Gallup: 76% Of Americans Support A Minimum Wage Increase

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    Or perhaps a strain on supply of workers after these new markets have been exhausted?
    The two aren't mutually exclusive. It's also worth noting that China is an unnatural case to begin with. In history, labor is not an import.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  8. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Gallup: 76% Of Americans Support A Minimum Wage Increase

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    The two aren't mutually exclusive. It's also worth noting that China is an unnatural case to begin with. In history, labor is not an import.
    History only predicts future events until it doesn't. But I'd agree, eventually they run out of new markets and are put in a position where wage increases either happen or more easily are bargained for.

  9. #129
    Student BasicGreatGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    01-31-14 @ 04:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    163

    Re: Gallup: 76% Of Americans Support A Minimum Wage Increase

    Our Republic is run by the Constitution, not mob rule.

    In my opinion, the federal government has no business dictating wage. Such should be left to individuals and the respective states in which they reside.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" Samuel Adams

  10. #130
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,513

    Re: Gallup: 76% Of Americans Support A Minimum Wage Increase

    Unions are much better at keeping wages up than the government is anyway.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •