Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 67

Thread: Gay-rights bill clears first hurdle in Senate

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Gay-rights bill clears first hurdle in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Who do you purchase your straw from? Do you get a good deal for buying in bulk?
    Well, what else would you call it? If a company hired a black man because he can perform the job, contribute, and be an asset to the company, he's an employee. If a company hired a black man because the government forces him to, he's a token.

    Are you trying to argue semantics or something? If so, you're losing.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Gay-rights bill clears first hurdle in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Well, what else would you call it? If a company hired a black man because he can perform the job, contribute, and be an asset to the company, he's an employee. If a company hired a black man because the government forces him to, he's a token.

    Are you trying to argue semantics or something? If so, you're losing.
    Ok so are you serisouly implying that if a black man with NO experience what so ever in computers goes into a programming firm that the company has to hire him to be a programmer because he is black? Come on, noone is buying that. There are STILL qualifications that have to be met.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Gay-rights bill clears first hurdle in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Ok so are you serisouly implying that if a black man with NO experience what so ever in computers goes into a programming firm that the company has to hire him to be a programmer because he is black? Come on, noone is buying that. There are STILL qualifications that have to be met.
    To an extent, that's possible. Also, "qualifications" are subjective. That's why Affirmative Action gets called out for its crap - it often will force institutions to be "equal" when the result of that equality is anti-meritorious.

  4. #44
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Gay-rights bill clears first hurdle in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    To an extent, that's possible. Also, "qualifications" are subjective. That's why Affirmative Action gets called out for its crap - it often will force institutions to be "equal" when the result of that equality is anti-meritorious.
    back when my kid brother was applying for med schools, in order to be "equally qualified" as a minority or female applicant, he had to score 10 points higher on the MCAT. I forget the exact numbers, but the average GPA and MCAT for minority applicants accepted were considerably lower than the scores for the average white guy.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Gay-rights bill clears first hurdle in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    back when my kid brother was applying for med schools, in order to be "equally qualified" as a minority or female applicant, he had to score 10 points higher on the MCAT. I forget the exact numbers, but the average GPA and MCAT for minority applicants accepted were considerably lower than the scores for the average white guy.
    That also happened at the law school of my alma mater. There was a big local outcry about it.

  6. #46
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Gay-rights bill clears first hurdle in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I'm comfortable with "we refuse to hire black people" being illegal.
    Why? What's wrong with that? I'm no racist by any means but I also support someone's right to run their business any way they see fit. How would you like to go into a Hooters and see some hairy, fat white dude with moobs serving you wings and beer?
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  7. #47
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,847

    Re: Gay-rights bill clears first hurdle in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Well, what else would you call it? If a company hired a black man because he can perform the job, contribute, and be an asset to the company, he's an employee. If a company hired a black man because the government forces him to, he's a token.

    Are you trying to argue semantics or something? If so, you're losing.
    That's not how discrimination laws work and nobody is suggesting they should work that way. I thought the straw man reference would make that obvious, sorry.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #48
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,847

    Re: Gay-rights bill clears first hurdle in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Why? What's wrong with that? I'm no racist by any means but I also support someone's right to run their business any way they see fit. How would you like to go into a Hooters and see some hairy, fat white dude with moobs serving you wings and beer?
    Not comparable. Anti-discrimination laws don't apply when the status is a "bona fide occupational qualification" (if I remember the business 101 terminology right). The point of hooters, or a strip club, is scantily clad women, so that's a qualification for the waitress/dancers. However, the same is not true of the person who cleans the bathroom at a hooters, so hooters can't disqualify you from janitorial employment solely for being a man.

    Similarly, being able to climb steps and lift heavy things is a requirement to be a fedex delivery person, so they get around some of the laws against discriminating against the physically disabled.

    "Being white" isn't an actual qualification for any position I can think of.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Gay-rights bill clears first hurdle in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    That's not how discrimination laws work and nobody is suggesting they should work that way. I thought the straw man reference would make that obvious, sorry.
    It's how Affirmative Action works. Discrimination laws are essentially an anti-business crutch that forces the government bully into private practice. It also has the ancillary little drawback of making every moron, idiot, and jackass speculate as to why he was fired or wasn't hired.

    I'm not authoritarian like you. I don't like being told what to do, what to think, and who to hire.

  10. #50
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,910

    Re: Gay-rights bill clears first hurdle in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Why don't you stop your ****ing whining, haven't Dems gotten just about everything they want? I mean really I'm fed with with that meme. And BTW, the Republicans aren't here to help Democrats win, so get that thru your head. Are Dems helping Reps win??? Well are they?
    Dude, unclench your pucker.

    No, Republicans aren't there to help Democrats win; however, they are in government to govern properly. Extending equal rights and protection under law to all Americans is the right thing.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •