Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 67

Thread: Gay-rights bill clears first hurdle in Senate

  1. #31
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,499

    Re: Gay-rights bill clears first hurdle in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Yeah, God forbid firms lose the right to screw their employees for reasons completely unrelated to job performance.
    No one is saying that. Nice hyperbole though. I am saying that we don't need protected classes. Just like hate laws and gays not being allowed to marry. It's all the same. We should all be equal under the law, period. Freedom is NOT free.

  2. #32
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,726

    Re: Gay-rights bill clears first hurdle in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    No one is saying that. Nice hyperbole though. I am saying that we don't need protected classes. Just like hate laws and gays not being allowed to marry. It's all the same. We should all be equal under the law, period. Freedom is NOT free.
    Except the result of this concept you're supporting is exactly what he said: businesses being able to fire employees because of who they are, not because of what they do.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #33
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,499

    Re: Gay-rights bill clears first hurdle in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Except the result of this concept you're supporting is exactly what he said: businesses being able to fire employees because of who they are, not because of what they do.
    And why should not businesses have the right to hire and fire who they want for whatever reason? It's not like gay people are being fired in droves for being gay. It is bull**** waist of time legislation we don't need. If they fire you for discrimination sue them. We don't need extra laws.

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Gay-rights bill clears first hurdle in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I'm comfortable with "we refuse to hire black people" being illegal.
    Yes, we should force companies to hire tokens. That'll encourage fairness and equality.

  5. #35
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,262

    Re: Gay-rights bill clears first hurdle in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    I don't think it's that so much as they absolutely refuse to do anything that could be perceived as giving the Democrats a win, because they care more about petty partisanship than doing the right thing.
    Why don't you stop your ****ing whining, haven't Dems gotten just about everything they want? I mean really I'm fed with with that meme. And BTW, the Republicans aren't here to help Democrats win, so get that thru your head. Are Dems helping Reps win??? Well are they?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #36
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Gay-rights bill clears first hurdle in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    And why should not businesses have the right to hire and fire who they want for whatever reason? It's not like gay people are being fired in droves for being gay. It is bull**** waist of time legislation we don't need. If they fire you for discrimination sue them. We don't need extra laws.
    I dont understand this statement?
    what "extra" laws are you referring to?

    and what every you are deeming as an extra law, like this one im "GUESSING" (please correct me if im wrong) if it doesnt exist what do you sue for?
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #37
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,499

    Re: Gay-rights bill clears first hurdle in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    I dont understand this statement?
    what "extra" laws are you referring to?
    We don't need laws protecting classes of people. Everyone should be equal under the law. This Bill that just passed the senate.

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    and what every you are deeming as an extra law, like this one im "GUESSING" (please correct me if im wrong) if it doesnt exist what do you sue for?
    Discrimination does not have to be a law to be sued over. If you feel you were unfairly dismissed for say being handicapped whether it affected your job performance or not etc. You can sue over it. Hell if you have problems and get fired for complaining guess what...

    United Hospital nurse says she was fired after voicing complaints - United Hospital nurse says she was fired after voicing complaints | Star Tribune

    This Bill is an absolute waist of time and I am glad it will be defeated.

  8. #38
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Gay-rights bill clears first hurdle in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    1.)We don't need laws protecting classes of people.
    2.) Everyone should be equal under the law. This Bill that just passed the senate.
    3.) Discrimination does not have to be a law to be sued over. If you feel you were unfairly dismissed for say being handicapped whether it affected your job performance or not etc. You can sue over it. Hell if you have problems and get fired for complaining guess what...

    4.) United Hospital nurse says she was fired after voicing complaints - United Hospital nurse says she was fired after voicing complaints | Star Tribune

    5.) This Bill is an absolute waist of time

    6.) and I am glad it will be defeated.
    1.) history seems to disagree with that view, Without many of these laws we are still behind the times
    2.) and thats what these laws try to help
    3.) you say that but again what will you sue for?

    4.) but this is exactly my point, what is she suing for, yes i can sue you or attempt to sue you for any reason but without these laws theres little ground to actually sue on and how many are successful

    5.) i disagree i like peoples rights being protected and adding this to the bill that already exists for gender, race, religion etc IMO helps people not being discriminated again and im all in favor of that.

    6.) you are probably right about this bill buts it going to pass eventually and many states, cities and companies have similar protections.

    Id rather people not be fired based on race, religion, gender, sexual orientation etc
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #39
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,726

    Re: Gay-rights bill clears first hurdle in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    And why should not businesses have the right to hire and fire who they want for whatever reason? It's not like gay people are being fired in droves for being gay. It is bull**** waist of time legislation we don't need. If they fire you for discrimination sue them. We don't need extra laws.
    Without legislation of this nature, you can't sue an employer who fired you just for being gay. "Discrimination" isn't illegal in a broad sense. Only discrimination regarding certain classifications.

    You are contradicting yourself. If an employer can fire you at any time for any reason, there's nothing to sue over.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Yes, we should force companies to hire tokens. That'll encourage fairness and equality.
    Who do you purchase your straw from? Do you get a good deal for buying in bulk?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  10. #40
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Gay-rights bill clears first hurdle in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    And why should not businesses have the right to hire and fire who they want for whatever reason? It's not like gay people are being fired in droves for being gay. It is bull**** waist of time legislation we don't need. If they fire you for discrimination sue them. We don't need extra laws.

    Just make sure we reform the legal system by reinstituting loser pays...


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •