Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 67

Thread: Gay-rights bill clears first hurdle in Senate

  1. #11
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,693

    Re: Gay-rights bill clears first hurdle in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    Bunk. This bill is an unnecessary waist of time. We should not be creating a special class of citizen. We already have anti discrimination laws that cover race, sex creed etc. Now we must add sexuality???? Give me a break. Next thing you know you will not be able to fire someone for being lazy because it discriminates against lazy people.

    We need less government intervention, not MORE.
    We have been in the business of creating protected classes for decades now, and that includes the LBGT. It's not a bad thing to suggest that folks should be evaluated on their job performance and potential.

    While I support the law's intentions, I feel it sadly necessary to remind folks that are somehow scared they can't fire or refuse to hire based on knowledge of sexuality, that there is nothing in the law that prevents folks finding alternate reasons to hire/fire an employee they happen to not like due to sexuality, race, gender, disability. In fact, it happens regularly enough to the right folks. The problem is they just can't quite prove it...even though the statistics may bear the inconvenient reality that somehow these folks just aren't getting hired or aren't keeping their jobs.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  2. #12
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,803

    Re: Gay-rights bill clears first hurdle in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I hate crap like this because it allows people who get fired or not hired in the first place to play the victim, make assumptions, or speculate as to why any particular establishment isn't employing them.

    If someplace doesn't want your services for whatever reason, tough. Find a place that will.
    I'm comfortable with "we refuse to hire black people" being illegal.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  3. #13
    Sage
    Hicup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    12-07-17 @ 03:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    7,846

    Re: Gay-rights bill clears first hurdle in Senate

    Isn't most employment "at-will" anyway?


    Tim-
    “When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.” - P. J. O’Rourke
    “Socialism is great until you run out of someone elses money” Margaret Thatcher

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Gay-rights bill clears first hurdle in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    I'm comfortable with "we refuse to hire black people" being illegal.
    Yeah, we all aware you don't care about human rights. Thanks for repeating the message anyway though.

  5. #15
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Gay-rights bill clears first hurdle in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    Bunk. This bill is an unnecessary waist of time. We should not be creating a special class of citizen. We already have anti discrimination laws that cover race, sex creed etc. Now we must add sexuality???? Give me a break. Next thing you know you will not be able to fire someone for being lazy because it discriminates against lazy people.

    We need less government intervention, not MORE.
    exactly. we already have EO laws. funny how a group of people who "just want to be equal and treated like everyone else" needs a special law to protect them
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Gay-rights bill clears first hurdle in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    Republicans really do hate equal rights don't they?
    Equal rights? Because ignoring the rights of the business owner is equal rights. Tell me more about how you have the right to force people to associate with you, enter property that you do not own and gain or maintain employment or service from unwilling members of society. I'm always open to hearing a story of bull**** in the afternoon.
    Last edited by Henrin; 11-05-13 at 03:03 PM.

  7. #17
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,197

    Re: Gay-rights bill clears first hurdle in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Equal rights? Because ignoring the rights of the business owner is equal rights. Tell me more about how you have the right to force people to associate with you, enter property that you do not own and gain or maintain employment or service from unwilling members of society. I'm always open to hearing a story of bull**** in the afternoon.
    Business owners do not have the right to discriminate against people for race, skin colour, country of origin, sex, and now sexual orientation it is just a common sense extension of already existing anti-discrimination laws.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Gay-rights bill clears first hurdle in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    Bunk. This bill is an unnecessary waist of time. We should not be creating a special class of citizen. We already have anti discrimination laws that cover race, sex creed etc. Now we must add sexuality???? Give me a break. Next thing you know you will not be able to fire someone for being lazy because it discriminates against lazy people.

    We need less government intervention, not MORE.
    Yes, we need to protect the rights of citizens to continue being allowed to discirminate against those nasty gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaays

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Gay-rights bill clears first hurdle in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Equal rights? Because ignoring the rights of the business owner is equal rights. Tell me more about how you have the right to force people to associate with you, enter property that you do not own and gain or maintain employment or service from unwilling members of society. I'm always open to hearing a story of bull**** in the afternoon.
    You would have a point if we already didn't have laws on the books to prevent discimination of other groups. Sine we do, your point is useless and just points to the fact you want people to continue to disciminate against gays.

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Gay-rights bill clears first hurdle in Senate

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    Business owners do not have the right to discriminate against people for race, skin colour, country of origin, sex, and now sexual orientation it is just a common sense extension of already existing anti-discrimination laws.
    I find it strange that anyone would claim someone has a right not to be discriminated against when to have such a right others peoples human rights would have to be violated. How can someone have a right to force someone to associate with them? How can someone have a right to the use of resources and property of someone else? How can someone have a right to someones else's labor and/or service? How can someone have a right to be employed or stay employed even at the protest of the owner of the business they are working for? I don't imagine I will ever come across someone that will successful defend that such things can occur and not have peoples rights violated in the process.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •