Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 64

Thread: Republican: Many in GOP donít live in political reality

  1. #51
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,949
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Republican: Many in GOP donít live in political reality

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Meh. Hard to generalize swing voters except on a district by district basis. The swing voters in my area tend to be more of the "Well, I don't know anything about them, but they haven't done anything to piss me off, so I will stick with the incumbent" voters. Some are the "I want to be on the winning side but don't have time to really do politics, so I will just follow whatever the polls say" group thinkers. I am the anti-incumbent voter as a matter of anti-establishment principle voter these days.
    Yeah, they sure do not pay much attention to politics at all. Most never bothered to watch the presidential debates. Could one say, they are this is what I feel today, so I am going with it. But the true independent/swing voters are a small number. Most tend to lean toward one party or the other. I would say, according to Gallup anyway, that ranges between 6 to 8 percent of the electorate.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  2. #52
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,927

    Re: Republican: Many in GOP donít live in political reality

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Read more @: Republican: Many in GOP don

    Glad to see at least one (im sure there is more) are actually connected with reality. Hope a lot more will follow Representative Rigell's example. [/FONT][/COLOR]
    Dude was right about the wrong people. Scott Rigel is a fool. He actually thinks he is fighting honorable people. He is not. He wont understand till he gets slapped upside the head with reality.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  3. #53
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Republican: Many in GOP donít live in political reality

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Sorry, I rather a president that doesn't negotiate on what is a perfectly reasonable idea than a bunch of savages with no reasonable idea other than nuclear options.
    A better answer would be it is not reasonable to ask Obama to negotiate because he already occupies a position of strength. It's like demanding the opposing army to submit to an unconditional surrender when they have you surrounded and outgunned, but both sides have their hand on the trigger of a nuclear bomb.

    Doesn't quite seem to make sense. Incidentally, also the reason why we don't want countries like North Korea and Iran to have nuclear weapons. Or go to war with Russia. It creates a paradox that can only be resolved when the human race becomes a pile of atomic ash.

    For the same reason we don't do those things, we also don't want the Tea Party to gain power.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  4. #54
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Republican: Many in GOP donít live in political reality

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Yeah, they sure do not pay much attention to politics at all. Most never bothered to watch the presidential debates. Could one say, they are this is what I feel today, so I am going with it. But the true independent/swing voters are a small number. Most tend to lean toward one party or the other. I would say, according to Gallup anyway, that ranges between 6 to 8 percent of the electorate.
    I would put it about 3.5% with another couple points hinging on the GOTV. Self-indentification doesn't always mesh with performance, and performance windows tend to be measured over too long a period in this day and age. A lot of people will split-tickets and consider that being an independent or a centrist because they dared to cross a party line, but even then there is usually a national-state divide as opposed to an intra-state on intra-national divide e.g. " I always vote for the GOP nationally, but sometimes vote for democrats in state races so I am an independent."

  5. #55
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,949
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Republican: Many in GOP donít live in political reality

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    I would put it about 3.5% with another couple points hinging on the GOTV. Self-indentification doesn't always mesh with performance, and performance windows tend to be measured over too long a period in this day and age. A lot of people will split-tickets and consider that being an independent or a centrist because they dared to cross a party line, but even then there is usually a national-state divide as opposed to an intra-state on intra-national divide e.g. " I always vote for the GOP nationally, but sometimes vote for democrats in state races so I am an independent."
    That's not really what I call being an independent, perhaps an independent that leans. But a true independent votes for the candidates with parties be darned. Or for a candidate that supports his hot button issue at the time. He does not care about parties. I really do not consider myself an independent, I lean right as most Georgians do. But that lean is not toward a political party, it is more on issues and candidates. Reading the definition of a classical liberal seems to come the closest. But I definitely do not fall into the conservative or liberal labels of today. The statist aspect of both ideologies of today's conservatives and Liberals is abhorrent to me. Both are statist in my POV, only they do not know it and are statist for different causes and issues.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  6. #56
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Republican: Many in GOP donít live in political reality

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Read more @: Republican: Many in GOP don

    Glad to see at least one (im sure there is more) are actually connected with reality. Hope a lot more will follow Representative Rigell's example. [/FONT][/COLOR]
    Political movement occurs when advocates for a different or improved reality assert their position well out of the main stream, and then later compromising on a more tenable position. If one simply goes along with the status quo, the trajectory of policy direction remains unchanged. In other words a continuation of leftist progress. To move the reality right, it takes a few to pull the debate off its current path. Kudos to Ted Cruz and the boys.

  7. #57
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Republican: Many in GOP donít live in political reality

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    Political movement occurs when advocates for a different or improved reality assert their position well out of the main stream, and then later compromising on a more tenable position. If one simply goes along with the status quo, the trajectory of policy direction remains unchanged. In other words a continuation of leftist progress. To move the reality right, it takes a few to pull the debate off its current path. Kudos to Ted Cruz and the boys.
    And yet it looks like no one wants to move "right" with all those poll #'s going very against Ted Cruz, the Tea Party, and the Republicans.


  8. #58
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Republican: Many in GOP donít live in political reality

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    The fact is any politician that has spent more than 10 years in Washington has lost track with reality and has gained that, I know what is best for my constituents attitude. They stop listening to them and become entrench in which ever party they belong to politics. But in a nut shell, one person reality is another person's fantasy land.
    And yet their constituents keep voting them in. Data shows that people hate congress but they love their congressmen.


  9. #59
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,949
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Republican: Many in GOP donít live in political reality

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    And yet their constituents keep voting them in. Data shows that people hate congress but they love their congressmen.
    No doubt about it. Take a look at some of the numbers from a recent NBC poll taken on 31 Oct.

    National Survey Results
    Q1 Do you approve or disapprove of President
    Barack Obama's job performance?
    Approve .................................................. ........ 46%
    Disapprove........................................ .............. 50%
    Not sure .................................................. ........ 4%
    Q2 Do you approve or disapprove of the job
    Congressional Democrats are doing?
    Approve .................................................. ........ 40%
    Disapprove........................................ .............. 56%
    Not sure .................................................. ........ 4%
    Q3 Do you approve or disapprove of the job
    Congressional Republicans are doing?
    Approve .................................................. ........ 23%
    Disapprove........................................ .............. 72%
    Not sure .................................................. ........ 5%
    Q4 Do you approve or disapprove of the job
    Congress overall is doing?
    Approve .................................................. ........ 6%
    Disapprove........................................ .............. 87%
    Not sure .................................................. ........ 6%
    Q5 Do you approve or disapprove of the job your
    own member of Congress is doing?
    Approve .................................................. ........ 51%
    Disapprove........................................ .............. 39%
    Not sure .................................................. ........ 11%


    Only 6% approve of the job congress is doing and yet 51% think their own congressman is doing a good job.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  10. #60
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Republican: Many in GOP donít live in political reality

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    And yet it looks like no one wants to move "right" with all those poll #'s going very against Ted Cruz, the Tea Party, and the Republicans.
    But it gives Rand Paul and Marco Rubio a more moderate feel, and they are both to the right of Reagan.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •