Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 42

Thread: Nearly 1.5 Million Lose Health Insurance Due to ObamaCare

  1. #11
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Nearly 1.5 Million Lose Health Insurance Due to ObamaCare

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    I'd be very curious to know why the cancellations were handed out. It's easy to screw your customer and blame Obamacare, but it sure would be nice to know how exactly Obamacare forced the companies to cancel plans. My guess is the companies canceled the plans and are using Obamacare as a scapegoat.

    But I'd be willing to listen to whatever the truth is, if only the details were ever reported on this....
    If I were to guess, it is them doing their part to force people into policies that will be subsidized because subsidized policies are either more profitable or because without greater participation in those policies, they will lose money on those who are participating. It is bound to be a marginal calculation--be it cost, revenue or profit--as insurance is all about the math.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,692

    Re: Nearly 1.5 Million Lose Health Insurance Due to ObamaCare

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    People who are losing their policies should be able to turn around and buy policies via the exchanges. It is just forced migration via insurers and employers dropping coverage they were not required to have. Still to early to tell what the net will be in terms of coverage. Pretty sure it is looking like the costs are going to be much higher than expected. A word of wisdom for future archeologists who find the DP fossils---don't ever create anything, let alone a national political program, that is totally dependent on 20-somethings participating in order to succeed.
    Yeah...of course the other part of that is that it seems that most of those "new signups" are for Medicaid for which no fees are being paid.

  3. #13
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Nearly 1.5 Million Lose Health Insurance Due to ObamaCare

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Yeah...of course the other part of that is that it seems that most of those "new signups" are for Medicaid for which no fees are being paid.
    Doesn't medicaid use third-party processing? I think even a lot of the ERISA plans have someone to be the face of the plan (like BCBC or someone else) even if the employer is ultimately the one footing the bill.

  4. #14
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Nearly 1.5 Million Lose Health Insurance Due to ObamaCare

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    I'd be very curious to know why the cancellations were handed out. It's easy to screw your customer and blame Obamacare, but it sure would be nice to know how exactly Obamacare forced the companies to cancel plans. My guess is the companies canceled the plans and are using Obamacare as a scapegoat.

    But I'd be willing to listen to whatever the truth is, if only the details were ever reported on this....
    The truth is that those policies do not meet the minimum standards for policies under obamacare, as most catastrophic policies do not. In addition they do not meet qualifications for "grandfathered" in policies if they had any change within the last two years (for example a deductible change). This was by design, because this is the type of private insurance that young and healthy people buy. It is cheap, and it is designed to cover just the big expenses and accidents. By design those policies had to be a thing of the past so that the insurance companies could sell more comprehensive more expensive policies to young people who will not be likely to use them as a way of covering costs for policies that are not profitable such as the pre-existing condition customers.

  5. #15
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,692

    Re: Nearly 1.5 Million Lose Health Insurance Due to ObamaCare

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Doesn't medicaid use third-party processing? I think even a lot of the ERISA plans have someone to be the face of the plan (like BCBC or someone else) even if the employer is ultimately the one footing the bill.
    As part of the ACA the states were asked to expand their Medicaid programs. If I remember correctly 29 of them did or are in the process of doing so. I don't know for sure but I believe that Medicaid is wholly state funded (with a reimbursement from the federal).

  6. #16
    Be different, be honest
    EdwinWillers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Divided States of Kardashia
    Last Seen
    12-25-15 @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,361

    Re: Nearly 1.5 Million Lose Health Insurance Due to ObamaCare

    An incompetent, glitch-laden, botched website implementation, people seeing their healthcare costs double or triple, people losing their healthcare plans, etc. are all part of the overall goal of forcing us into their single-payer, "pain to play" system.
    Who chimes "No Absolutes!" chimes absolutely.

    zoom zoom

  7. #17
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Nearly 1.5 Million Lose Health Insurance Due to ObamaCare

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Honest Obama strikes again.

    Change You Can Believe In.
    Has it dawned on anybody other than me that these might have been expensive individual policies and now that exchanges will soon allow people to take advantage of group rates, other than employer policies it makes more sense for the insurance carriers to start selling policies only through the exchanges?
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  8. #18
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,491

    Re: Nearly 1.5 Million Lose Health Insurance Due to ObamaCare

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    Brietbart.com

    Nough said.
    "If you like your plan you can keep it...period"
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #19
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,491

    Re: Nearly 1.5 Million Lose Health Insurance Due to ObamaCare

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Has it dawned on anybody other than me that these might have been expensive individual policies and now that exchanges will soon allow people to take advantage of group rates, other than employer policies it makes more sense for the insurance carriers to start selling policies only through the exchanges?
    Is that it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #20
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,755

    Re: Nearly 1.5 Million Lose Health Insurance Due to ObamaCare

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    If I were to guess, it is them doing their part to force people into policies that will be subsidized because subsidized policies are either more profitable or because without greater participation in those policies, they will lose money on those who are participating. It is bound to be a marginal calculation--be it cost, revenue or profit--as insurance is all about the math.
    I do believe you just nailed it.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •