Okay, I examined your link.
They talked about 200 cases were SYG had been alleged to play a part in the defense... but chose to speak about only 5 cases where someone had gotten off under questionable circumstances.
If you're remotely familiar with the so-called justice system you'd know that if only 5 people out of 200 get off when they MAYBE shouldn't have... that's actually damn good odds for our fracked up system. I've seen guys walk on technicalities for some pretty messed up stuff.
This is from the article you referenced and linked to, and it is pertinent:
The paper identified nearly 200 instances since 2005 where the state’s Stand Your Ground law has played a factor in prosecutors’ decisions, jury acquittals or a judge’s call to throw out the charges. (Not all the cases involved killings. Some involved assaults where the person didn’t die.)
The law removes a person’s duty to retreat before using deadly force against another in any place he has the legal right to be – so long as he reasonably believed he or someone else faced imminent death or great bodily harm. Among the Stand Your Ground cases identified by the paper, defendants went free nearly 70 percent of the time.
That means 30% did NOT go free... and we don't know the other 70% probably SHOULD have gone free. The article only discusses five incidents.
FIVE incidents since 2005 that are questionable do not make for a pandemic that we must panic over. There have been 80,000 homicides in that time period.
In conclusion, this is not remotely evidence that SYG is some kind of major problem.
As I said before, any jackass like this one, who clearly does not have both oars in the water, may THINK he can claim SYG and get away with it... does not mean he would have.