Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
Results 151 to 160 of 160

Thread: Alabama Man Hires KKK member to Kill Neighbor like an Animal

  1. #151
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Last Seen
    01-09-14 @ 06:55 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16

    Re: Alabama Man Hires KKK member to Kill Neighbor like an Animal

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    The way the laws are written vary. In some states, where they are poorly written, they are being abused.
    No state in the country operates that way.

    I understand the laws have taken on a political tinge since the George Zimmerman trial, even though he didn't use the defense, but if ever there was a group arguing something stupid for purely partisan reasons this is it.

  2. #152
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Alabama Man Hires KKK member to Kill Neighbor like an Animal

    Quote Originally Posted by CallasDowboys View Post
    No state in the country operates that way.

    I understand the laws have taken on a political tinge since the George Zimmerman trial, even though he didn't use the defense, but if ever there was a group arguing something stupid for purely partisan reasons this is it.
    Have you done any research on you own about this?
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  3. #153
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Last Seen
    01-09-14 @ 06:55 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16

    Re: Alabama Man Hires KKK member to Kill Neighbor like an Animal

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    Have you done any research on you own about this?
    Sure. Have you?

  4. #154
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,297

    Re: Alabama Man Hires KKK member to Kill Neighbor like an Animal

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    What a colossal display of historical ignorance. You really think the KKK still identifies with the Democratic party? Are you completely unaware of the shift in party ideologies regarding civil rights?

    Support for the 1964 CRA wasn't divided on political lines, it was divided on geographic lines. Northern Democrats and Republicans overwhelmingly supported it; Southern Democrats and Republicans overwhelmingly opposed it.

    Civil Rights Act of 1964 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Note: "Southern", as used in this section, refers to members of Congress from the eleven states that made up the Confederate States of America in the American Civil War. "Northern" refers to members from the other 39 states, regardless of the geographic location of those states.

    The original House version:

    Southern Democrats: 787 (793%)
    Southern Republicans: 010 (0100%)

    Northern Democrats: 1459 (946%)
    Northern Republicans: 13824 (8515%)

    The Senate version:

    Southern Democrats: 120 (595%) (only Ralph Yarborough of Texas voted in favor)
    Southern Republicans: 01 (0100%) (John Tower of Texas)
    Northern Democrats: 451 (982%) (only Robert Byrd of West Virginia voted against)
    Northern Republicans: 275 (8416%)
    Thank you for posting that...I was responding before I realized that the thread was wayyyyyy past page one.

  5. #155
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,910

    Re: Alabama Man Hires KKK member to Kill Neighbor like an Animal

    Quote Originally Posted by year2late View Post
    Thank you for posting that...I was responding before I realized that the thread was wayyyyyy past page one.
    The conservative fixation with the Southern Democrats, and the historical ignorance it takes to conflate them with the Democratic party even of then as a whole, much less that of today, never ceases to amaze me. The logical and factual hoops one must jump through to prove that it's the Democrats who are the Real Party of Racism must be exhausting. Hell, look at the exchange I had earlier in the thread (paraphrased for fun):

    FENTON: "Democrats didn't support the Civil Rights Act!"
    ME: "Actually, that's not true, as illustrated here ..."
    FENTON: "You are trying to call all Republicans racist!"
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  6. #156
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,297

    Re: Alabama Man Hires KKK member to Kill Neighbor like an Animal

    Quote Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
    The conservative fixation with the Southern Democrats, and the historical ignorance it takes to conflate them with the Democratic party even of then as a whole, much less that of today, never ceases to amaze me. The logical and factual hoops one must jump through to prove that it's the Democrats who are the Real Party of Racism must be exhausting. Hell, look at the exchange I had earlier in the thread (paraphrased for fun):

    FENTON: "Democrats didn't support the Civil Rights Act!"
    ME: "Actually, that's not true, as illustrated here ..."
    FENTON: "You are trying to call all Republicans racist!"
    That is exactly how that conversation goes.

  7. #157
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Alabama Man Hires KKK member to Kill Neighbor like an Animal

    Quote Originally Posted by CallasDowboys View Post
    Sure. Have you?
    Yes. Quite a bit actually or I wouldn't have made the statement.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  8. #158
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Alabama Man Hires KKK member to Kill Neighbor like an Animal

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    Exactly. When this law was all over the site because the the Trayvon Martin case I saw several examples of it being used to mask intent by the shooter and get then...get them off the hook.
    Yeah, it is terrible they "got off the hook" from being murdered like it was their duty to allow for the greater good of all.

  9. #159
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Alabama Man Hires KKK member to Kill Neighbor like an Animal

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    2. I am, of course, very troubled by the presence and seemingly casual acceptance of the KKK being avaible for hire to kill but there is not enough in the story about that issue to address it here or support my thinking about it being commonplace.
    There is no reason to believe that it is. An undercover fed said he was KKK, and an idiot believed it.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  10. #160
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Alabama Man Hires KKK member to Kill Neighbor like an Animal

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    There is no reason to believe that it is. An undercover fed said he was KKK, and an idiot believed it.
    as I said previously, I am perplexed on how you could even take that away from the article

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •