Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 54

Thread: Politico: Senate leaders nearing a deal

  1. #31
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Politico: Senate leaders nearing a deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    We'll see what happens. But so far it hasn't been good for the Republicans. But I think come Feb of next year this shutdown will be long forgotten, replaced by other issues, events and happenings. From the reports I seen and heard, there was a deal made prior to the shutdown for spending to be at 986 billion and then the rider was attached after the two side agreed to the spending deal.
    Leaders of neither party can make deals their caucus won't support...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,962
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Politico: Senate leaders nearing a deal

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    I love the blog Pero..
    You can move McConnell to 'likely' or even 'solid' Republican..
    I can't explain it yet, but something about the two races in South Carolina has been sticking with me for a while..
    You must admit that Reid and McConnell are currently the two grown-ups in DC right now.
    Perhaps, but nothing say I have to like 'em and would rather see 'em gone. But think back, it was McConnell and Biden who got us out of the last mess.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  3. #33
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,962
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Politico: Senate leaders nearing a deal

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Leaders of neither party can make deals their caucus won't support...
    Well, yes and for sure. But if McConnell and Reid do make a deal, you can be sure Reid will bring it up for a vote in the senate and I am sure enough Republican's will support it that it can't be filibustered and it will pass. Now the house is still an open question.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  4. #34
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Politico: Senate leaders nearing a deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Perhaps, but nothing say I have to like 'em and would rather see 'em gone.
    What would Grasshopper say??We live in the Present Moment..
    But think back, it was McConnell and Biden who got us out of the last mess.
    Biden's time has come and gone..Obama owes the Clinton too much..
    Physics is Phun

  5. #35
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Politico: Senate leaders nearing a deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Well, yes and for sure. But if McConnell and Reid do make a deal, you can be sure Reid will bring it up for a vote in the senate and I am sure enough Republican's will support it that it can't be filibustered and it will pass. Now the house is still an open question.
    Yes, the Senate can jam the House, but it doesn't infer there was a deal between the House and Senate before all this began...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  6. #36
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: Politico: Senate leaders nearing a deal

    The House is already putting together another muddy CR and trying to get it to the Senate before the adults in the Senate finish their business..
    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    Well, yes and for sure. But if McConnell and Reid do make a deal, you can be sure Reid will bring it up for a vote in the senate and I am sure enough Republican's will support it that it can't be filibustered and it will pass.
    There is no guarantee a cabal of headless Repub Senators led by Cruz and Lee won't filibuster..
    Now the house is still an open question.
    House Repubs actually want to see what will happen on Friday with no deal so they can say,"I told you so".
    Physics is Phun

  7. #37
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,962
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Politico: Senate leaders nearing a deal

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    What would Grasshopper say??We live in the Present Moment..Biden's time has come and gone..Obama owes the Clinton too much..
    I always like Joe, he was one senator that rubbed me the right way even though I disagreed with him more than I ever agreed with his politics.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  8. #38
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,962
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Politico: Senate leaders nearing a deal

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Yes, the Senate can jam the House, but it doesn't infer there was a deal between the House and Senate before all this began...
    For sure, it is like being between a rock and a hard place. But wait, the Republicans are there now. how many times have I said on this site and on our old site, when it comes down to battles like this it is all about perceptions. Who is right or wrong, what the reality of the real reasons for something to happen or not, it is how the people, America perceive the events. In this battle, regardless who is right or wrong, the reality of the politics involved, most Americans see the House republicans as being at fault and thus heap most of the blame on them.

    Of course in a battle like this one, Republicans side with republicans and Democrats with democrats, the battle for the public opinion are for those of neither party and the GOP has lost that battle. The only question now is if they can get something in return instead of an unconditional surrender?
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  9. #39
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,962
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: Politico: Senate leaders nearing a deal

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    The House is already putting together another muddy CR and trying to get it to the Senate before the adults in the Senate finish their business..There is no guarantee a cabal of headless Repub Senators led by Cruz and Lee won't filibuster.. House Repubs actually want to see what will happen on Friday with no deal so they can say,"I told you so".
    Roger on Lee and Cruz, but with senators like Collins, Alexander, murkowski, McCain, Isakson,Ayotte, Perhaps Chambliss and a few others, my feeling is these senators would vote for cloture and over ride a filibuster.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  10. #40
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Politico: Senate leaders nearing a deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Perotista View Post
    For sure, it is like being between a rock and a hard place. But wait, the Republicans are there now. how many times have I said on this site and on our old site, when it comes down to battles like this it is all about perceptions. Who is right or wrong, what the reality of the real reasons for something to happen or not, it is how the people, America perceive the events. In this battle, regardless who is right or wrong, the reality of the politics involved, most Americans see the House republicans as being at fault and thus heap most of the blame on them.

    Of course in a battle like this one, Republicans side with republicans and Democrats with democrats, the battle for the public opinion are for those of neither party and the GOP has lost that battle. The only question now is if they can get something in return instead of an unconditional surrender?
    I don't believe it will affect House races much in the next election unless the House absolutely caves. Voters generally like their Representative until they no longer represents the reason he/she was voted into office in the first place, and I'm not seeing this at this point...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •