Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
Results 131 to 137 of 137

Thread: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

  1. #131
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by falcata View Post
    I'm sure this has already been addressed, but this is fairly ignorant.

    I love sports. I have respect for all sports, but not everyone should have to feel comfortable with doing those sorts of things. I've played soccer, football, basketball, run cross country and track, I've boxed, and fairly soon I'll be taking up wrestling so I'm not saying this from personal experience. However I know plenty of people who honestly wouldn't feel comfortable with the things you've listed, and by no means is that necessarily a bad thing or a fault of the parent. Some people are not oriented towards sports and there is nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

    I guess you probably don't feel that way yourself, but soccer is definitely not safer. From all the sports I've done I have had my worst injuries from soccer. At my community league game I had my knee kicked open, and I've had very severe bruising (I'm talking about some serious hematomas) on my shins, also take into consideration the fact that you are required to wear shin guards.
    Well, of course some kids are less orientated to sports, and that's fine...

    But when you are out trying to make sure that kids can't be hurt even when they are playing sports, or start limiting or banning sports because it's not safe... That's retarded.

    Kids will get hurt while playing... That's just a fact of life (and for some ******s that DOES NOT MEAN that I want kids hurt), but with participation trophies and not keeping score and making sure kids don't have to "feel bad" you are doing them a disservice.

    How are these kids going to deal with the realities of not getting the job they want, getting rejected by the guy or girl they'd want to date, or the reality that they are not really as special as they were told through their youth???

    Short answer is that this next generation are going to be thoroughly unprepared for the real world just because parents are becoming overbearingly overprotective... And it's also overly litigious nonsense where everything is someone's fault and Should be sued over.

    We played soccer, hockey and football, and ya, there were numerous concussions, broken bones, cuts and scrapes, and what do you know, everybody was healed... Win or lose we were taught sportsmanship and how to handle these things honorably.

    This next generation is being robbed of this type of first hand learning, and our society is going to suffer for it...

    And even though with this story it's a temporary measure, the trend throughout the country is towards this type of coddling by limiting sports banning anything that even has the potential of danger.

  2. #132
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,964

    Re: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    Ok, the clear answer to my question was both... Good day.
    I don't blame you for wanting to run from this discussion, considering how badly it's gone for you.

    Good day.

  3. #133
    Educator falcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North East Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    08-10-17 @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    926

    Re: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    Well, of course some kids are less orientated to sports, and that's fine...

    But when you are out trying to make sure that kids can't be hurt even when they are playing sports, or start limiting or banning sports because it's not safe... That's retarded.

    Kids will get hurt while playing... That's just a fact of life (and for some ******s that DOES NOT MEAN that I want kids hurt), but with participation trophies and not keeping score and making sure kids don't have to "feel bad" you are doing them a disservice.

    How are these kids going to deal with the realities of not getting the job they want, getting rejected by the guy or girl they'd want to date, or the reality that they are not really as special as they were told through their youth???

    Short answer is that this next generation are going to be thoroughly unprepared for the real world just because parents are becoming overbearingly overprotective... And it's also overly litigious nonsense where everything is someone's fault and Should be sued over.

    We played soccer, hockey and football, and ya, there were numerous concussions, broken bones, cuts and scrapes, and what do you know, everybody was healed... Win or lose we were taught sportsmanship and how to handle these things honorably.

    This next generation is being robbed of this type of first hand learning, and our society is going to suffer for it...

    And even though with this story it's a temporary measure, the trend throughout the country is towards this type of coddling by limiting sports banning anything that even has the potential of danger.
    I am absolutely not in favor of these measures. My school cannot even let kids play dodge-ball any more. I believe they are just incredibly ridiculous, and it's terrible that these lawsuits gain any ground when indeed brought to court.

    I was arguing the fact that Crue Crab said that you were a failure as a parent if your child was apprehensive of playing baseball or football.
    I traveled with Ivanka
    the way I normally do
    How was I to know
    She was with the Russians too? - Poetics by TurtleDude

  4. #134
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by falcata View Post
    I was arguing the fact that Crue Crab said that you were a failure as a parent if your child was apprehensive of playing baseball or football.
    Then you raised a sissy. Sissies dont do to well in life. Not everyone need be Peyton Manning or Wade Boggs. But sports give and teach confidence and team work.
    Do fairly well and it teaches leadership and an understanding of competition.
    All things people that are usually successful do well.

  5. #135
    Educator falcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North East Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    08-10-17 @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    926

    Re: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    Then you raised a sissy. Sissies dont do to well in life. Not everyone need be Peyton Manning or Wade Boggs. But sports give and teach confidence and team work.
    Do fairly well and it teaches leadership and an understanding of competition.
    All things people that are usually successful do well.
    That is all opinion. It all had reasoning behind it, but to claim that one needs sports for any or all of that is wrong.

    Where do you come off to call another person a sissy? You don't understand them or the reasons they have for feeling a certain way. There are several areas of interest and many activities that one can learn all of the attributes you had named that would require little or no physical exertion.
    I traveled with Ivanka
    the way I normally do
    How was I to know
    She was with the Russians too? - Poetics by TurtleDude

  6. #136
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    I don't blame you for wanting to run from this discussion, considering how badly it's gone for you.

    Good day.
    Well, it's like you had said, there comes a point where a post becomes so asinine, so full of fallacies that there's no real way to respond intelligently, but since you feel that not addressing your nonsense is running away, I guess I have little choice.


    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    No, what I said was:

    Sometimes you read a post so ridiculous you realize it's not even worth responding in a meaningful way. This is one of those times for me. Ignoring for a moment your seeming ignorance of math and common core, the fact you think it's ridiculous the school is conscientious of child safety during construction illustrates a mentality to me which suggests you have absolutely no business discussing this topic or any topic related to safety of children or education. Have a good day.
    The bolded part here illustrates the type of dishonesty that is prevalent in all your posts in this thread, which is based off my statement that this is just another step in a trend... and (a point which I had conceded earlier on) while this case is at least somewhat justified given the construction, that there are other ways that this situation could have been handled which would allow the kids to play that didn't involve getting rid of the balls, and cartwheels, etc...

    It's disingenuous for you to take that and to imply that I don't care about safety of children. This is just the start...

    Which was a failure on your part, as the link you provided was exposed to show it did the opposite of proving your point. Unless you think carefully edited video which omits the actual responses proves your point. And if so, then perhaps we should talk about dishonest debate tactics.-
    Except I wasn't going based off the video but the attached articles (plural, I read more than one cause I couldn't believe what I was reading), ALL OF WHICH pointed out that the expectation was still to have the correct answers but if you could explain a wrong answer using different methods that you would still get credit... which is more acceptable if you are talking about higher level maths where there are multiple steps and a mistake on one step while showing the work might actually still have earned some valid credit.

    I only put that one link to show that this was what I was talking about since you had made a point to ignore it.


    I didn't ignore it so much as I responded appropriately to it.
    Oh so writing a disingenuous non-response is "appropriate" in your view??

    Not unfounded at all. And, to be honest, I'm not being smug so much as I am incredulous I'm having this conversation. You have no problem with unsuspecting children being injured, and you post YouTube videos which, once viewed in full, completely contradict your point. It's not smugness, it's simple disbelief.
    This is the most despicable and dishonest thing you've brought up yet.

    What I said was that kids will get hurt; that's a fact of life, not some desire for kids to be hurt.... the fact that you have to resort to this sort of blatant distortion in order to make a point shows your character and explains some of the other comments you've made.

    BTW, the long video does not dispute the point, it just explains that the math is going to be based more off the explanations than it is about actually understanding the process... tie this in with the no child left behind measures that have been taken and we are certain increase the numbers of kids that are unable to compete in the real world.

    What was the first numbers those two threw out?? Only 20% of kids going into university are actually able to understand the required math that is expected of students entering university??

    Yes, how could we EVER top how wonderful we have it right now.
    This entire next paragraph is a complete non-sequitur, it does not logically follow the point you were responding too, but since not responding to every asinine point you make is considered "running away"...

    The most powerful country in the world owes $17t in debt,
    What that has to do with students being ill prepared for a best case I'm not sure... that number is also incomplete, but that's another topic.

    and we have a government who is about to put the entire country in big trouble because they are acting like children
    at least you put this as both sides being responsible... probably the most honest (albeit still irrelevant) point you've made.

    (but at least they're spying on everyone in the world, so that's good, right?),
    15 years ago that was called a "conspiracy theory"... as was the dumbing down of america, at least people are waking up to some of just how much trouble the nation is actually in.

    we have an entire section of the world (Middle East) who have been fighting nonstop for decades, deadly diseases are ravaging adults and children across Africa, large portions of Central and South America being run by violent drug lords, etc.
    Most of this should be none of our problem except that those childish politicians insist on acting as the police of the world, as they have for decades...

    You're right, there's no way tomorrow's generation will ever be able to handle such lofty heights.
    Funny, it's getting worse, and what's worse is that the next generation will not even be able handle the problems that we've had to deal with... because we've ensured that they are never able to build character for themselves, know how to handle winning or losing, are wusses that don't know how to handle the bumps and scrapes that they will inevitably encounter through their lives.... and most certainly will cave under the pressures of the real world.

    It's bad enough that we also have to deal with the rest of those results of corruption that you brought up just before.

  7. #137
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by falcata View Post
    I am absolutely not in favor of these measures. My school cannot even let kids play dodge-ball any more. I believe they are just incredibly ridiculous, and it's terrible that these lawsuits gain any ground when indeed brought to court.

    I was arguing the fact that Crue Crab said that you were a failure as a parent if your child was apprehensive of playing baseball or football.
    Ya, I guessed as much... and my frustration was more in general than directed towards you.

    Not everyone is going to be good at sports or everything... the fact of life is that there are winners and losers everywhere. It's important to teach that to kids when they are young, so that they can learn to handle winning and losing.

    That's one of the biggest factors towards building true character and integrity, and if it's not in sports it will occur in other areas of life.

    For example; I've heard of some schools where they are graduating a class full of valedictorians.... which completely defeats the purpose of having a valedictorian in the first place.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •