Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 137

Thread: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I agree it would go nowhere, but lawsuits still costs time and money and frustration to defend.

    Not saying I approve of this action... I don't... but that is a real-world consideration.
    The suit may go nowhere because the school district will pay out a settlement before it sees the light of day.

  2. #122
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,985

    Re: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    On common core; Obama math: under new Common Core, 3 x 4 = 11 [VIDEO]

    Now, if your math problem was (4x+3x^2)*x=y... Then it makes sense to give partial credit if you got the answer part way down and then missed a step and got the wrong answer.
    Even one of the most ridiculous websites on the Internet shows you seem to not understand what's going on.

    4 x 3 = 11? Did School Official Really Say It Doesn’t Matter if Students Get Simple Math Wrong Under Common Core? | Video | TheBlaze.com

    In other words, watch the full video of her statement, not the video which has been carefully cut. As I said, sometimes posts just aren't worthy of an effort to respond.

    Btw, if the school is under THAT MUCH construction. That its not possible to separate the kids from it, maybe the school should be moved to a temporary location instead of putting them near harm.

    Instead they get to "enjoy" their recess in a place so small for the number of kids that they get to walk around the yard for 20 min per day. Which is fine if your intention is to train them for a prison yard.
    You clearly, as I've said before, do not seem to understand what you are talking about.

    It's pretty obvious if you take the time to think about it. The kids are outside for recess, which kids should be. Kids need a break from the classroom and there is nothing stopping them from playing with the nerf balls the school is providing. However, given the now smaller dimensions of the recess playground, a harder ball could accidentally hit an unsuspecting student, one who may not even be part of the game, and cause harm (where this likely was not a problem before, as the students with the harder balls could play elsewhere). The nerf ball is not likely to do this, even if it hits an unsuspecting student. Do note how the school only changed to this policy once the playground became smaller due to the construction.

    Seriously, take a moment to think about it.

    But no, carry on with your smug superiority
    Considering the material you continue to provide me, this should be no problem.

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Even one of the most ridiculous websites on the Internet shows you seem to not understand what's going on.

    4 x 3 = 11? Did School Official Really Say It Doesn’t Matter if Students Get Simple Math Wrong Under Common Core? | Video | TheBlaze.com

    In other words, watch the full video of her statement, not the video which has been carefully cut. As I said, sometimes posts just aren't worthy of an effort to respond.

    You clearly, as I've said before, do not seem to understand what you are talking about.

    It's pretty obvious if you take the time to think about it. The kids are outside for recess, which kids should be. Kids need a break from the classroom and there is nothing stopping them from playing with the nerf balls the school is providing. However, given the now smaller dimensions of the recess playground, a harder ball could accidentally hit an unsuspecting student, one who may not even be part of the game, and cause harm (where this likely was not a problem before, as the students with the harder balls could play elsewhere). The nerf ball is not likely to do this, even if it hits an unsuspecting student. Do note how the school only changed to this policy once the playground became smaller due to the construction.

    Seriously, take a moment to think about it.

    Considering the material you continue to provide me, this should be no problem.
    What's funny is that I already addressed this with what you ignored from the last post, so I provided a source as a basis for what I "clearly didnt understand"... And then you pretend I didn't add that caveat at all...

    So, hope your dishonest debate tactics works for you.

  4. #124
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,985

    Re: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    What's funny is that I already addressed this with what you ignored from the last post, so I provided a source as a basis for what I "clearly didnt understand"... And then you pretend I didn't add that caveat at all...

    So, hope your dishonest debate tactics works for you.


    So your response for being called out on your obvious (if possibly unintentional) false statement is to blame me for dishonest debate tactics? Interesting. You tried to claim you understood common core by showing a video which was dishonestly edited. The lie was you claiming common core says it's just as valid to come up with a wrong answer as a right answer, and you submitted your dishonestly edited video as evidence. This is clearly wrong (not to mention the fact we are talking about common core standards, not the assessment of standards). You were wrong and have been multiple times throughout this thread.

    I'd suggest you not criticize my smugness or debate tactics when you're clearly on the wrong end of the debate. Like I said, even one of the most ridiculous "news" websites on the Internet said you were wrong.

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    so are the castration lines ridiculous or managable?

  6. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post


    So your response for being called out on your obvious (if possibly unintentional) false statement is to blame me for dishonest debate tactics? Interesting. You tried to claim you understood common core by showing a video which was dishonestly edited. The lie was you claiming common core says it's just as valid to come up with a wrong answer as a right answer, and you submitted your dishonestly edited video as evidence. This is clearly wrong (not to mention the fact we are talking about common core standards, not the assessment of standards). You were wrong and have been multiple times throughout this thread.
    What is dishonest is that I explained the entire position without the link, you called bs... So I put the link to show that it's not bs and you call bs, ignoring that I had addressed the entire point previously.

    So, is it stupid or liar?

    I'd suggest you not criticize my smugness or debate tactics when you're clearly on the wrong end of the debate. Like I said, even one of the most ridiculous "news" websites on the Internet said you were wrong.
    Again, I explained the position accurately... You ignored it (even editing out of one of your responses, btw) to try to maintain this unfounded smugness.

    Don't worry, we'll get to see what happens to the society when this next generation graduates unable to think for themselves thinking they are special since they've never known victory or defeat, and have no character to speak of... I suppose that will be "progress".

  7. #127
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,985

    Re: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    What is dishonest is that I explained the entire position without the link, you called bs
    No, what I said was:

    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Sometimes you read a post so ridiculous you realize it's not even worth responding in a meaningful way. This is one of those times for me. Ignoring for a moment your seeming ignorance of math and common core, the fact you think it's ridiculous the school is conscientious of child safety during construction illustrates a mentality to me which suggests you have absolutely no business discussing this topic or any topic related to safety of children or education. Have a good day.
    ... So I put the link to show that it's not bs
    Which was a failure on your part, as the link you provided was exposed to show it did the opposite of proving your point. Unless you think carefully edited video which omits the actual responses proves your point. And if so, then perhaps we should talk about dishonest debate tactics.

    and you call bs, ignoring that I had addressed the entire point previously.
    I didn't ignore it so much as I responded appropriately to it.

    to try to maintain this unfounded smugness.
    Not unfounded at all. And, to be honest, I'm not being smug so much as I am incredulous I'm having this conversation. You have no problem with unsuspecting children being injured, and you post YouTube videos which, once viewed in full, completely contradict your point. It's not smugness, it's simple disbelief.

    Don't worry, we'll get to see what happens to the society when this next generation graduates unable to think for themselves thinking they are special since they've never known victory or defeat, and have no character to speak of... I suppose that will be "progress".
    Yes, how could we EVER top how wonderful we have it right now. The most powerful country in the world owes $17t in debt, and we have a government who is about to put the entire country in big trouble because they are acting like children (but at least they're spying on everyone in the world, so that's good, right?), we have an entire section of the world (Middle East) who have been fighting nonstop for decades, deadly diseases are ravaging adults and children across Africa, large portions of Central and South America being run by violent drug lords, etc.

    You're right, there's no way tomorrow's generation will ever be able to handle such lofty heights.

  8. #128
    The Dude
    Kobie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Western NY
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    42,903

    Re: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    If that school wants to take away my balls, they'll have to pry them out of my cold, dead hands.
    Freedom of speech is not freedom from criticism.

  9. #129
    Educator falcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    North East Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    08-10-17 @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    926

    Re: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    If your kid cant stand in the batters box looking down a 70 mph fast ball from another kid, you failed as a parent.
    If your kid is too scared to go over the middle and catch a foot ball in full pads, you failed as a parent.
    If you let your kid play soccer because you think its "safer", you failed as a parent.
    I'm sure this has already been addressed, but this is fairly ignorant.

    I love sports. I have respect for all sports, but not everyone should have to feel comfortable with doing those sorts of things. I've played soccer, football, basketball, run cross country and track, I've boxed, and fairly soon I'll be taking up wrestling so I'm not saying this from personal experience. However I know plenty of people who honestly wouldn't feel comfortable with the things you've listed, and by no means is that necessarily a bad thing or a fault of the parent. Some people are not oriented towards sports and there is nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

    I guess you probably don't feel that way yourself, but soccer is definitely not safer. From all the sports I've done I have had my worst injuries from soccer. At my community league game I had my knee kicked open, and I've had very severe bruising (I'm talking about some serious hematomas) on my shins, also take into consideration the fact that you are required to wear shin guards.
    I traveled with Ivanka
    the way I normally do
    How was I to know
    She was with the Russians too? - Poetics by TurtleDude

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    No, what I said was:



    Which was a failure on your part, as the link you provided was exposed to show it did the opposite of proving your point. Unless you think carefully edited video which omits the actual responses proves your point. And if so, then perhaps we should talk about dishonest debate tactics.

    I didn't ignore it so much as I responded appropriately to it.

    Not unfounded at all. And, to be honest, I'm not being smug so much as I am incredulous I'm having this conversation. You have no problem with unsuspecting children being injured, and you post YouTube videos which, once viewed in full, completely contradict your point. It's not smugness, it's simple disbelief.

    Yes, how could we EVER top how wonderful we have it right now. The most powerful country in the world owes $17t in debt, and we have a government who is about to put the entire country in big trouble because they are acting like children (but at least they're spying on everyone in the world, so that's good, right?), we have an entire section of the world (Middle East) who have been fighting nonstop for decades, deadly diseases are ravaging adults and children across Africa, large portions of Central and South America being run by violent drug lords, etc.

    You're right, there's no way tomorrow's generation will ever be able to handle such lofty heights.
    Ok, the clear answer to my question was both... Good day.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •