Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 137

Thread: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

  1. #111
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,462

    Re: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by LadyMoonlight View Post
    As a teacher at a high school, I will make this comment. We have lots of trees in our playgrounds at school. As a parent I believe kids should climb trees because it should be part of every childhood, kids should run around, jump etc etc during recess and lunch breaks. As a teacher, however, there is no way that I am going to let a kid climb a tree while I am on duty because I am not going to get sued and/or lose my job because a kid fell out of a tree. I am legally responsible for what happens when I am on playground duty and parents are going to come at a teacher ready to crucify him or her when their precious one gets hurt. Do not blame teachers...it is teachers who will cop all the trouble when a kid gets hurt. It is parents who have caused all this to come about because they can't handle it when their little darlings get injured, usually through their own stupid actions or accidents. About two weeks ago while I was on duty I had to physically break up a fight between two students, two girls. And let me tell you, if you think girls are easier to break apart than boys, you would be wrong! I was lucky that another teacher saw the fight from a window and ran out to help me, and another teacher came from another direction to assist (both females incidentally). If I had just let them go it would be me who would be in trouble much more so than the kids involved in the fight.
    On another point. I am so over parents wanting a label for their kids. Recently I had to fill out a report on one of my students. He is a nice kid, a polite kid, a well behaved kid...he just tends to chat a lot to his mate in class. He is not the sharpest pencil in the box, to put it kindly. The report was for an ADD assessment. He is not ADD, he just isn't and I said so. His parents just don't seem to be able to accept that he is a tad slow academically so they WANT him to have ADD, and if not ADD they will, I guarantee you, find SOMETHING, anything that they can grab on to. I thought that ADD had fallen by the wayside, everyone wants Aspergis now, and it has become quite popular with an increase in diagnosed students. It's like ODD (Oppositional Defiance Disorder)...a term I refuse to use because the real term is Rude and Disrespectful....that just does not sound as cool as ODD.
    Also, no one will ever convince me that kids are as smart or smarter than they used to be. Powerpoints that I made 5 years ago, I find I have to skip several slides because the kids don't understand them now and when I get time, I will have to go through all my Power points and dumb them down. Books we used to use 10 years ago we can't use now because they are too hard for kids now days. Literature has gone so far down. The English faculty have to buy new novels all the time, not only for variety and new resources, but because they need dumbed down novels because novels the students read 10 years ago are too hard now. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn were written for kids, 10, 11, 12 years old...those books are now senior texts!

    The longer I teach in a state high school, the more I support private education or home schooling. Unfortunately, all four of my grand daughters go to state schools and I wish they didn't.
    If I can make a suggestion?

    Paragraphs are a good thing.

  2. #112
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,462

    Re: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Are you mad?!? Treadmills are dangerous.
    That is true. Just ask my 8 year old.

  3. #113
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,462

    Re: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    I would like to see a law suit for a child being hurt playing an approved game in school.

    I don't think it would get passed the first stage of the suit.

    There is an assumed risk in playing thew games and the parents take that risk when sending the kids to that school.

    If there was any negligence on the school, then that is a different story, but just kids playing the game they should have been playing, I don't think, is a basis for a lawsuit.

    Can anybody with law experience chime in here?

  4. #114
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    I would like to see a law suit for a child being hurt playing an approved game in school.

    I don't think it would get passed the first stage of the suit.

    There is an assumed risk in playing thew games and the parents take that risk when sending the kids to that school.

    If there was any negligence on the school, then that is a different story, but just kids playing the game they should have been playing, I don't think, is a basis for a lawsuit.

    Can anybody with law experience chime in here?
    I agree it would go nowhere, but lawsuits still costs time and money and frustration to defend.

    Not saying I approve of this action... I don't... but that is a real-world consideration.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #115
    Educator LadyMoonlight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    New South Wales, Australia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    845

    Re: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    You're likely blaming the wrong reasons for your actions. It's not likely kids are less smart now than they were five years ago (just think how absurd that sounds...a generation would be one thing, five years is something different), but rather your assessment of what the students can actually learn, the content you need them to learn or the depth of what you've decided to teach.

    As you become more experienced, you get a better feel for what is necessary and for what the children can learn. It's not likely nearly as much about the children as it is your changing perceptions.
    We live in the age of communication, and young people can't communicate. They can use a computer, a mobile phone and other electronic devices, but they can't communicate effectively. Yes, there are top classes and top students and they work hard and communicate reasonably effectively, but the majority don't. Reality is (in Australia at least) that students do not have to do any work, none - no class work, no homework, no assessment tasks, nothing - until they get to year 11, then they have to start working. Students are shoved through the system until they are old enough to leave, and that is not the fault of the teachers, it's department policy. No matter how much, or how little work a student does, promotion is automatic. Students know that there is nothing a teacher can do if they can't be bothered working. Psychologists and the powers that be have stripped all incentive to work from students and promote them because failing students and making them repeat a year might damage their ever so fragile self esteem and it's bloody criminal.

    You may think what you wish, but I am not the only teacher in the school who has seen the ability of students drop dramatically within the space of a decade. I am telling you that textbooks we used to use, novels we used to teach, knowledge levels and ability have most definately dropped. I could give you examples and anecdotes but I really don't see the point. If you are a teacher, then surely you must have seen it unless you are lucky enough to work at a private school where expectations are higher, and if you are not a teacher, then, with all due respect you do not have a clue about what it is really like.

    School is no longer about education. An ever expanding group of students don't come to school to learn, they come to socialise, meet and chat to their friends. Teachers don't feel like teachers, they feel like baby-sitters, keeping teenages off the streets during daylight hours. It is not even really about ability, it's about attitude. A teacher can have a low-literacy, low-ability class and work wonders with them if they are willing to learn. That kind of class can be a real pleasure to teach and much can be accomplished. However, when you have students, with average ability or above average ability, or limited ability who see no reason to bother....if they do no work whatsover, disrupte the class continually, and waste everyone's time, they WILL NOT BE FAILED and will be automatically promoted, and they know it...then it is not teaching.

    I want education to change; I want promotion based on merit, I want students to know that if they don't work they will fail and if they can't do the work then resources and extra help will be made available. The only person who should decide if a student is promoted to the next year, is the teacher, full stop. I want a combination of teaching from 50 years ago and today... rote learning times tables and spelling rules and the big ones....discipline, self-discipline, respect, self-respect, good manners, incentive to work hard and recognition when that leads to achievement. Combine those elements with what we have today....questioning a teacher if the student thinks the teacher is wrong without worrying about repercusions, use of technology, analysis and questioning of sources and information and not just remembering information and accepting it.

    Teaching can be an awesome experience when it works. When it works it's magic, when it doesn't, it's tragic! Teachers are well trained, competent and work exceptionally hard ( the teachers I know and work with do) and yet they are still blamed when a student causes trouble, won't work and can't read and write. I have no problems with students who are not academically bright, who struggle with the work, that's not what it is about. It's about attitude...the wanting to learn, no matter how hard it is, the wanting to achieve.

    I have been furiously typing away here and I have a feeling that I may have just waffled on and perhaps not even addressed your original statement. If I have, then I apologise. I have things I have to do now and best get moving. I like teaching, I want students to learn and achieve, but their ability level or their willingness to apply themselves and achieve has most definitately dropped in the last decade.

  6. #116
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,940
    Blog Entries
    25

    Re: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    idiotic. What good is it to be a kid if one can't be a kid?
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  7. #117
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,985

    Re: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    Yet even those in lower classes in america are typically better off than the "middle classes" in much of Asia.

    It's still funny though how even those that had high confidence in heir math skills performed average... Your link does nothing to dispute that American students have a high esteem about mediocrity.

    Especially with the common core where 4*3=11 is just as valid if you can explain your answer. (they are still expected to get it right, but if they can explain their wrong answer they will still receive credit)

    The damage done with cuts, scraps and bruises, especially on the Long term is more of a benefit than the damage caused by coddling kids and telling them they are special for being average.

    No, I grew up with parents that gave me credit when it was earned, trust that even making my own mistakes that I could learn from them, how to learn from failures to build successes and most importantly to take responsibility for my actions. Oh also, I grew up in a time where not every trait of being young was a symptom to be treated with medication.

    Ya, this school found a ridiculous reaction to circumstance... When there's any number of solutions that would allow these affected kids to still be kids.

    Next will be bubble wrap and helmets for recess.
    Sometimes you read a post so ridiculous you realize it's not even worth responding in a meaningful way. This is one of those times for me. Ignoring for a moment your seeming ignorance of math and common core, the fact you think it's ridiculous the school is conscientious of child safety during construction illustrates a mentality to me which suggests you have absolutely no business discussing this topic or any topic related to safety of children or education. Have a good day.

    Quote Originally Posted by LadyMoonlight View Post
    We live in the age of communication, and young people can't communicate.
    They communicate just fine and their communication is no less now than it was 5 years ago. That's the point I'm trying to make.

    They can use a computer, a mobile phone and other electronic devices, but they can't communicate effectively.
    Or perhaps they are just not communicating in the traditional sense, the way which seems familiar to you. Because kids seem to understand each other just fine and have for a long time.

    Reality is (in Australia at least) that students do not have to do any work, none - no class work, no homework, no assessment tasks, nothing - until they get to year 11, then they have to start working. Students are shoved through the system until they are old enough to leave, and that is not the fault of the teachers, it's department policy. No matter how much, or how little work a student does, promotion is automatic. Students know that there is nothing a teacher can do if they can't be bothered working. Psychologists and the powers that be have stripped all incentive to work from students and promote them because failing students and making them repeat a year might damage their ever so fragile self esteem and it's bloody criminal.
    I cannot speak intelligently on education in Australia, but I get the sense you may be exaggerating a little.

    You may think what you wish, but I am not the only teacher in the school who has seen the ability of students drop dramatically within the space of a decade.
    Oh, geez...do you mean to tell me that other teachers who have been there while you've been there share your opinion as you get older? Color me shocked.

    I guess the idea they are doing the same thing I'm saying you're doing just isn't possible. Because, as we all know, older generations have NEVER accused the next generations of being inferior. Never happened...ever.

    If you are a teacher, then surely you must have seen it unless you are lucky enough to work at a private school where expectations are higher, and if you are not a teacher, then, with all due respect you do not have a clue about what it is really like.
    I am a teacher and I've taught a variety of subjects in my several years at a smaller public school in rural America. And no, I have no seen anything to suggest your personal view is accurate. In fact, if anything, I've seen the opposite.

    What I DO know is that as I've gotten older, and have taught longer, my understanding of the abilities of children has changed. It's not the students who have changed, it's me. As I've changed and I constantly re-adapt, I have to make changes in my lesson plans as well. That's what teachers do, we constantly review our lessons for maximum efficiency. It has much less to do with the ability of the students, but rather our perception of what's important and our understanding of what children can do.

    If you think you can cart out a Powerpoint presentation from 5 years ago and never change it, then the problem exists more with you. Every year your children are different...they learn differently, they have different past experiences, etc. Furthermore, you've TAUGHT differently. You don't teach the same way every year, teaching the same material, the same way, using the same body language and voice inflection. Maybe it's not the students who have regressed, but your ability to teach them? Or, and this is more likely, you should quit expecting a 5 year old Powerpoint to work the same way your nostalgic memory believed it worked 5 years ago.

    School is no longer about education.
    School is all about education. What school is no longer about is simply teaching facts. I'd like to see some of the things schools are responsible for cut some, but we still provide education.

    An ever expanding group of students don't come to school to learn, they come to socialise, meet and chat to their friends. Teachers don't feel like teachers, they feel like baby-sitters, keeping teenages off the streets during daylight hours.
    Many times, this is true. That doesn't mean you are not (or at least, cannot) provide an education to the children. Teach the students about responsibility by being at work every day. Teach the students about kindness and compassion. Teach them the value of hard work. Even if you are not able to put content in their head, you can still educate them.

    I want education to change; I want promotion based on merit, I want students to know that if they don't work they will fail and if they can't do the work then resources and extra help will be made available. The only person who should decide if a student is promoted to the next year, is the teacher, full stop. I want a combination of teaching from 50 years ago and today... rote learning times tables and spelling rules and the big ones....discipline, self-discipline, respect, self-respect, good manners, incentive to work hard and recognition when that leads to achievement. Combine those elements with what we have today....questioning a teacher if the student thinks the teacher is wrong without worrying about repercusions, use of technology, analysis and questioning of sources and information and not just remembering information and accepting it.
    In other words...you want to change society. Yes, that would be great. Unfortunately, that's not education reform and societal reform is much more difficult.

    Teaching can be an awesome experience when it works. When it works it's magic, when it doesn't, it's tragic! Teachers are well trained, competent and work exceptionally hard ( the teachers I know and work with do) and yet they are still blamed when a student causes trouble, won't work and can't read and write. I have no problems with students who are not academically bright, who struggle with the work, that's not what it is about. It's about attitude...the wanting to learn, no matter how hard it is, the wanting to achieve.
    Totally agree. I think most teachers agree. Again, you're speaking of a societal problem, not an education problem.

    I have been furiously typing away here and I have a feeling that I may have just waffled on and perhaps not even addressed your original statement.
    You've definitely drifted off the topic.

    It's okay though, I've enjoyed the discussion.

    I like teaching, I want students to learn and achieve, but their ability level or their willingness to apply themselves and achieve has most definitately dropped in the last decade.
    No, it has not. What's changed has been your perception. Your complaints are as old as time itself, regarding how older generations view younger generations. My dad's parents were teachers (and grandfather was an administrator). My dad is a retired high school teacher who now teaches a few courses at a university. His second wife is a retired teacher. My mother was a teacher, then a principal and is now a superintendent. I began "teaching" the moment I graduated high school in May 2003 when I helped coach a high school basketball team. I officially became a teacher in summer 2007. I've been teaching ever since and have not missed a single day of work since I was hired in 2007. I remember VERY well what education was like ten years ago from the student perspective. I remember younger teachers I had who possessed a visible enthusiasm for the job, an enthusiasm which has since waned and their complaining has increased as they've gotten older. I've been teaching for many years, but unlike many other people, I've always detested the "the younger generation doesn't have respect/motivation/intelligence/common sense/work ethic (take your pick) that we had when I was younger" mentality, which I think has allowed me the ability to see things a little more as they truly are. This is the mentality (older vs. younger) you're currently expressing.

    As I said in the beginning, it's not the ability of the children who have changed, it's your perception of them. It's something I have to fight as well, because with each year passing, my next year's classes always seem younger to me. Obviously they are not, but it's just how I view them as I get older. When I teach, I constantly have to remind myself I have to lay the foundation for my lesson, because I think since I've taught it the last several years, these students should know it. I do many of the same things you claim to do (except I constantly review and revise my lessons, I don't expect lessons from 5 years ago to be perfect), but I realize the difference isn't in the students, but in myself.

    Instead of automatically assigning blame to others, because it's much easier to assume the problem is someone else, really give careful analysis of what you're doing. Don't focus on all the bad, give equal credit to the good. Write things down in a journal, if that will help. What I think you'll find, if you are honest with yourself and your analysis and if you keep an open mind and don't give in to nostalgia, is that student ability really doesn't change that much. The problems you have today, you'll have ten years from now and you had 5 years ago. The students may change as culture changes, but their abilities to learn are no less than they were.

  8. #118
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Sometimes you read a post so ridiculous you realize it's not even worth responding in a meaningful way. This is one of those times for me. Ignoring for a moment your seeming ignorance of math and common core, the fact you think it's ridiculous the school is conscientious of child safety during construction illustrates a mentality to me which suggests you have absolutely no business discussing this topic or any topic related to safety of children or education. Have a good day.
    There is a difference between being conscientious of child safety and being overbearing with safety concerns.

    On common core; http://news.yahoo.com/obama-math-und...151805230.html

    Now, if your math problem was (4x+3x^2)*x=y... Then it makes sense to give partial credit if you got the answer part way down and then missed a step and got the wrong answer.

    Then you wonder why all these international tests are showing that students in america are in like 10-12 place in math ability, but number 1 in the self-esteem they have in their math abilities.

    (of course Asia has 10x the poverty here and perform better, but it's because of poverty that American numbers are off)

    Btw, if the school is under THAT MUCH construction. That its not possible to separate the kids from it, maybe the school should be moved to a temporary location instead of putting them near harm.

    Instead they get to "enjoy" their recess in a place so small for the number of kids that they get to walk around the yard for 20 min per day. Which is fine if your intention is to train them for a prison yard.

    But no, carry on with your smug superiority, you'll get the chance to see in your lifetime what you have done to the kids.

    Good day.

  9. #119
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    I'll probably be more successful than most of those people. You don't need sports it is bad parenting to stop your kid form playing a sport because you think it is unsafe not because the kid hates sports like I do.
    I do know that football players are all sissies(?).



    You might think this, but you don't know it.

  10. #120
    Be different, be honest
    EdwinWillers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Divided States of Kardashia
    Last Seen
    12-25-15 @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,361

    Re: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Agreed... holy crap.

    Another argument for homeschooling.
    Who chimes "No Absolutes!" chimes absolutely.

    zoom zoom

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •