Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 137

Thread: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

  1. #101
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,964

    Re: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by CRUE CAB View Post
    What does this have to do with playing ball in school? Talk about thread drift.
    The entire first part of my post was dealing with the article, which is what this thread is about, not playing ball in school (and this thread is not about playing ball in school, it's about a school limiting the balls children can use at recess because of a more confined space due to construction...yes, I realize the irony in you accusing me of being off-topic while not knowing the actual topic yourself). The second part was dealing with the aftermath of those who think preventing kids from getting hit by hard balls in incredibly confined spaces is a symptom of an educational system which also promotes learning rather than testing.

    Seriously, read the article and follow the thread. Try it...just once. It'll make me happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyMoonlight View Post
    Also, no one will ever convince me that kids are as smart or smarter than they used to be. Powerpoints that I made 5 years ago, I find I have to skip several slides because the kids don't understand them now and when I get time, I will have to go through all my Power points and dumb them down.
    You're likely blaming the wrong reasons for your actions. It's not likely kids are less smart now than they were five years ago (just think how absurd that sounds...a generation would be one thing, five years is something different), but rather your assessment of what the students can actually learn, the content you need them to learn or the depth of what you've decided to teach.

    As you become more experienced, you get a better feel for what is necessary and for what the children can learn. It's not likely nearly as much about the children as it is your changing perceptions.
    Last edited by Slyfox696; 10-11-13 at 11:06 AM.

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Yes, it is so awful when schools try to better the youth of our children. After all, we can just look at politics in this country and see how well what we used to do worked...
    Ya,

    http://www.newgeography.com/content/...opean-students

    So, American students have a high level of confidence in their abilities (because we gotta feed their self-esteem), but they perform just slightly above average when compared to the rest of the world.

    You mean now that roughly half of students are on some sort of ssri?


    Let me see if I have this right...you're okay with children getting hurt, schools getting sued which means less money for education and requires more of your tax dollars to run, just so you can feel superior because an older and obviously screwed up generation got hurt when they were kids.

    Wow....
    Thats ridiculous... Of course I don't WANT kids to get hurt. I just accept that kids are rubbery for a reason, because they heal really quick.

    Coddling them and telling them they are special, just to make sure they feel good about themselves, you are depriving them of the experience of growing up.

    What's worse is many parents dont even want to deal with their kids anymore, and that's a big part of how it's close to half of kids are on some form of ssri by the time they finish school.

    Then these parents, these self-entitled weak people take up every opportunity to sue... They are just making matters worse, these people don't care about the kids as much as they care about getting a payday.

    Then look at the kids these days, so many of them can barely talk...can't write beyond txt tlk lol. But they are special, never known winning or losing, can't perform, can't compete and can barely think for themselves...

  3. #103
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    This is just speculation, but, I guarantee you that some parent at some point complained that their child was hit in the face with a ball or pushed down during a game of tag and the school's administration got tired of hearing it.
    That and/or lawsuits from injuries. I have no doubt.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #104
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    The articles does state that this was allegedly prompted by limited space due to construction. Ok, fair enough. But, when asked, they refused to give a straight answer if the ban would remain in place after construction was finished. Seems to me the answer would be fairly obvious and with no need to leave it up in the air. Unfortunately, things like this have a history of remaining in place long after the "need" has passed.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #105
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,680
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    They want kids to get out and play and then they take away all the fun things kids do. What is left? All we used to do during recess is play soccer, basketball and dodge ball...what are they supposed to do now? Run on a treadmill for 10 minutes?
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  6. #106
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by ksu_aviator View Post
    They want kids to get out and play and then they take away all the fun things kids do. What is left? All we used to do during recess is play soccer, basketball and dodge ball...what are they supposed to do now? Run on a treadmill for 10 minutes?
    Are you mad?!? Treadmills are dangerous.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #107
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,680
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Are you mad?!? Treadmills are dangerous.
    Stand quietly in place in your mosquito netting and sun proof clothing. The new recess.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

  8. #108
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,964

    Re: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    Ya,

    High Confidence Not Translating to High Math Scores for American and European Students | Newgeography.com

    So, American students have a high level of confidence in their abilities (because we gotta feed their self-esteem), but they perform just slightly above average when compared to the rest of the world.
    I'll see your link and raise you one which makes much more sense.

    Poor ranking on international test misleading about US student performance, researcher finds

    In other words, there are many factors which play into scores.

    Thats ridiculous... Of course I don't WANT kids to get hurt.
    You're just okay with it if they do. That's what I said.

    I just accept that kids are rubbery for a reason, because they heal really quick.

    Coddling them and telling them they are special, just to make sure they feel good about themselves, you are depriving them of the experience of growing up.

    What's worse is many parents dont even want to deal with their kids anymore, and that's a big part of how it's close to half of kids are on some form of ssri by the time they finish school.

    Then these parents, these self-entitled weak people take up every opportunity to sue... They are just making matters worse, these people don't care about the kids as much as they care about getting a payday.

    Then look at the kids these days, so many of them can barely talk...can't write beyond txt tlk lol. But they are special, never known winning or losing, can't perform, can't compete and can barely think for themselves...
    What I find amusing is the people you seem to be blaming (the parents) are the people who grew up in the environment you apparently want today's kids to grow up in.

    At the end of the day, this school made a decision because the change in circumstances warranted a change. For people to go on about the false nonsense regarding the how children are/should be raised is a waste of time.

  9. #109
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    I'll see your link and raise you one which makes much more sense.

    Poor ranking on international test misleading about US student performance, researcher finds
    Yet even those in lower classes in america are typically better off than the "middle classes" in much of Asia.

    It's still funny though how even those that had high confidence in heir math skills performed average... Your link does nothing to dispute that American students have a high esteem about mediocrity.

    Especially with the common core where 4*3=11 is just as valid if you can explain your answer. (they are still expected to get it right, but if they can explain their wrong answer they will still receive credit)

    In other words, there are many factors which play into scores.

    You're just okay with it if they do. That's what I said.
    The damage done with cuts, scraps and bruises, especially on the Long term is more of a benefit than the damage caused by coddling kids and telling them they are special for being average.


    What I find amusing is the people you seem to be blaming (the parents) are the people who grew up in the environment you apparently want today's kids to grow up in.
    No, I grew up with parents that gave me credit when it was earned, trust that even making my own mistakes that I could learn from them, how to learn from failures to build successes and most importantly to take responsibility for my actions. Oh also, I grew up in a time where not every trait of being young was a symptom to be treated with medication.


    At the end of the day, this school made a decision because the change in circumstances warranted a change. For people to go on about the false nonsense regarding the how children are/should be raised is a waste of time.
    Ya, this school found a ridiculous reaction to circumstance... When there's any number of solutions that would allow these affected kids to still be kids.

    Next will be bubble wrap and helmets for recess.

  10. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: School bans most balls during recess: Smart move or going too far?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    It's called progress...

    It's called a slippery slope...

    Meanwhile 25 years ago when I was a kid in grade school we played tackle football on the outdoor concrete basketball court at recess..

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •