Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Heritage Action Bails On Debt Ceiling Fight

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Heritage Action Bails On Debt Ceiling Fight

    WASHINGTON -- A crack appeared Wednesday morning in the conservatives' united front against President Barack Obama in the budget-and-borrowing crisis of 2013.

    Michael Needham, CEO of the powerful group Heritage Action, said that he opposed conditioning a crucial vote to increase the government's borrowing authority on the group's main goal: defunding Obamacare.

    Under questioning at a breakfast with reporters, hosted by the Christian Science Monitor, Needham, a product of the Stanford Business School, conceded that failure to raise the debt ceiling would indeed disrupt the global economy.

    "I'm sure the markets will react negatively," he said, even if, as he suggested was possible, the Treasury could "prioritize" interest payments to foreign bondholders.

    Rather than try to hold the debt ceiling vote hostage to the defunding of Obamacare, he said, the better "tactical" course for Heritage and other key foes of the administration is to continue to focus on annual spending -- and on allowing the full opening of government only if Obamacare is dismantled.

    "No, we should raise the debt limit," he said, though he added that he would oppose an increase that extends until after the 2014 election, which is Obama's preferred outcome.
    Heritage Action Bails On Debt Ceiling Fight

    Looks like the few remaining sane conservatives have had it with tea party brinksmanship. It appears the GOP may split apart over this issue.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Heritage Action Bails On Debt Ceiling Fight

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    Heritage Action Bails On Debt Ceiling Fight

    Looks like the few remaining sane conservatives have had it with tea party brinksmanship. It appears the GOP may split apart over this issue.
    I have a feeling boehner is already prepared to raise the debt ceiling. From his position he has time to bluff up until the deadline and if he gets his deal because dems give in then he looks like the hero to his people. He has to look like a looney to get to his point. We will see if he can pull the trigger and lop off the hand that feeds him which will result in his personal destruction and he knows it, but right now he does not have to compromise yet. It makes sense from a poker perspective when you went so far into the loss category on the debt that you are off the table if you lose that he should see the bluff out until the call and see if he cannot pull something out. I could be wrong about this and he might have accidentally drank the kool aid, but I am pretty sure this is the last chance with how the reps have gone and they have to play everything they have. It now just comes down to them jeopardizing their retirement and destrouying america in a fit of hysterical rage because america has officially started rejecting them and they will lose the house next election.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: Heritage Action Bails On Debt Ceiling Fight

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    I have a feeling boehner is already prepared to raise the debt ceiling. From his position he has time to bluff up until the deadline and if he gets his deal because dems give in then he looks like the hero to his people. He has to look like a looney to get to his point. We will see if he can pull the trigger and lop off the hand that feeds him which will result in his personal destruction and he knows it, but right now he does not have to compromise yet. It makes sense from a poker perspective when you went so far into the loss category on the debt that you are off the table if you lose that he should see the bluff out until the call and see if he cannot pull something out. I could be wrong about this and he might have accidentally drank the kool aid, but I am pretty sure this is the last chance with how the reps have gone and they have to play everything they have. It now just comes down to them jeopardizing their retirement and destrouying america in a fit of hysterical rage because america has officially started rejecting them and they will lose the house next election.
    I agree.

    I think the best analysis is that Boehner, who's a craven drunk but no tea party lunatic, has been trying to hold the GOP together as the friction between the tea party freaks and the "normal" establishment republicans (who are marginally sane) increases. It's come to a head with the tea party weirdness over the debt ceiling, and he's been trying to manage it without a full civil war breaking out between the freaks and the normals.

    So really this whole thing isn't about a dispute between the Republicans and Democrats, but between the GOP factions which are on the verge of coming to blows. If that's the case, Boehner will avoid the default. If it's not and he's suffering from Stockholm Syndrome, we won't.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Heritage Action Bails On Debt Ceiling Fight

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    I agree.

    I think the best analysis is that Boehner, who's a craven drunk but no tea party lunatic, has been trying to hold the GOP together as the friction between the tea party freaks and the "normal" establishment republicans (who are marginally sane) increases. It's come to a head with the tea party weirdness over the debt ceiling, and he's been trying to manage it without a full civil war breaking out between the freaks and the normals.

    So really this whole thing isn't about a dispute between the Republicans and Democrats, but between the GOP factions which are on the verge of coming to blows. If that's the case, Boehner will avoid the default. If it's not and he's suffering from Stockholm Syndrome, we won't.
    The people who have the longest to fall if we go back to survival based on food and shelter for a while are the ones in the ivory towers with no skills aside from money manipulation to offer. If boehner defaults he will trash US currency. He will put china in the lead for the world default currency and ruin america's economic power in the world. Him and his banker friends are reliant on that power for their lifestyles. If they want to nuke it feel free. I live in the middle of farmland and I will walk down the road and trade my work for some food. I will then trade my extra food which will be gold for other things to amuse myself. If your only skill is politics and wall street finances you will be worthless when the collapse comes. He won't cut his own throat. He is not a religious fundamentalist like cruz and bachman. He does not believe god will save him and he prays to money. he will backstab the religious fundamentalists when they are at the edge of destroying them and he no longer can use them. They will not see it coming.

    I actually think that this split of the fundies from the republicans will be good. The republicans will have to embrace the moderates and things like looking out for each other and the end to social darwinism. This is their last stand and boehner is squeezing every concession he can for moderate republicans so that when they turn on the tea party they will remain at least rich. It is what a politician would do. it is why the US is stronger than any fundamentalist nation because they know money is much more powerful than the tool of religion. The tea party is the american taliban and relies on god and prayer. That will not help you in the real world.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •