Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 246

Thread: Priests Risk Arrest for Offering Sacraments to Catholic Troops During Shutdown[W:181]

  1. #191
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,971
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Priests Risk Arrest for Offering Sacraments to Catholic Troops During Shutdown

    What if the site you cited above said that the ABMC are who uses the funds to benefit the WWII Memorial?
    What then?

    What if money could not spend itself?
    What then?
    I may be wrong.

  2. #192
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,897

    Re: Priests Risk Arrest for Offering Sacraments to Catholic Troops During Shutdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Closed WWII memorial funded 'almost entirely by private contributions' - Washington Times



    Obama had the money to hire thugs to wire that memorial shut but not pay military families

    So tell everyone why we should let Obama control our HC after the way he's treated the family members of those military KIA

    Why should Obama and his cronies be able to exempt themselves and their hand picked corporations from Obamacare is it's such a wonderful law? The thuggery and corruption on display is breathtaking
    Congress knew about it also ahead of time.

    At least be honest about it.
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

  3. #193
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Priests Risk Arrest for Offering Sacraments to Catholic Troops During Shutdown

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    Sunday, SUNDAY is a Holy Day of Obligation for Catholics. So, it doesn't matter what they where able to do on Monday. Priests per canon law are suppose to only preform Mass once a day, exceptions are made for certain parishes which allow no more than having Mass twice in one day by the same Priest. I don't think the Navy has gotten that much more kinder and gentler that it's going o allow their entire Duty roster to leave base.

    But this is now all leading into speculation and there is no need in arguing on that. The bottom line is that it was within the bounds of Obama's power to allow Mass to be said voluntarily, and he didn't allow it.

    As the article I provided(which was footnoted) stated that only is if the possibility of future claims of compensation were present which in this case, wouldn't be a factor.
    By volunteering for the military, people have promised that their religious "obligations" will take second to their jobs. If that means that they cannot get off base on Sunday for whatever reason, then they will have to just deal with that. It would be no difference than them being on duty and there simply not being a way for them to get off duty to make it to Mass on Sunday.

    I knew a guy who was Buddhist in the Navy and he was struggling with the fact that his own religion would have him finding inner peace in the mountains or somewhere more peaceful than the bowels of a ship. Many people sacrifice religious "obligations" for military service.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #194
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Priests Risk Arrest for Offering Sacraments to Catholic Troops During Shutdown

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Al this does is blow the argument that they 'cant' perform work completely out of the water.
    No. It says that some contractors have different contracts. If their contract says that they are paid at different times by the government, then they cannot perform their work by law. If their employer has already been paid by the contract and they are simply being paid by their employer from that money now, then there is no conflict. It all depends on the terms of their contract.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #195
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Priests Risk Arrest for Offering Sacraments to Catholic Troops During Shutdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    Obama is Commander in Chief. Do you understand this is a responsibility beyond your EBT card? 85% of the Government is still up and running. Obama is hiring private security guards with guns to keep people out of Independence Hall. He;s hiring thugs to wire shut war memorials.

    They were warned days before the shut down even took place that this would happen

    Obama and Hagel did nothing. Only after it looked bad, did Obama all of the sudden pretend to be outraged and demand something be done. You're going to tell me that as Commander in Chief, Obama only found out the families of these KIA hadn't gotten their benefits yet today? Their sons and daughters were killed in the war Obama is running.

    We get it though. Obama is endlessly campaigning. A great honest guy. Knows nothing. Should always get what he wants. yadda yadda yadda
    Seriously? Did you just try to accuse me of being on welfare simply because I mentioned it?

    You pay for my housing and you pay for part of my grocery bill and you pay both me and my husband and for a majority of our insurance, medical, dental, and even life insurance because I am both a military spouse and a Navy reservist.

    I asked a question that you didn't answer, instead trying to accuse the President of things. I asked specifically, would it be okay if the President signed an executive order to fund welfare recipients because he felt they were in danger of being put in a worse financial situation for a long time? That would be a priority to many, just as paying a death benefit is a priority to others. Who are you to say that the dead are more important than the living, who are trying to take care of their children?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #196
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,729

    Re: Priests Risk Arrest for Offering Sacraments to Catholic Troops During Shutdown

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No. It says that some contractors have different contracts. If their contract says that they are paid at different times by the government, then they cannot perform their work by law. If their employer has already been paid by the contract and they are simply being paid by their employer from that money now, then there is no conflict. It all depends on the terms of their contract.
    Actually it does unless you have some sort of info that says their contract was the reason they were denied access. And of course, we know contracts had precisely squat to do with monument and park closures and we also saw just how readily the Administration bailed on its park closure stance when it involved an illegal immigration rally. Just as we know that across the government contract employees are still just as much 'on the job' as they were before the furlough started.

    The Administration is filled with childish and petty individuals. Their response is the worst kind of petulant childlike behavior. They shut ROADS down in the middle of nowhere. They deployed armed police and park rangers to tell people they couldnt drive down roads or stop and take pictures. And they locked up a chapel on an otherwise open military installation. Of course...to their true believers, they can do no wrong and there will always be some twisted excuse or justification.

  7. #197
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Priests Risk Arrest for Offering Sacraments to Catholic Troops During Shutdown

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    1-Snopes, while being a wonderful resource, is written and maintained by PEOPLE...people who interpret things. 2-Rogue posted a link showing that in fact contract priests ARE STILL WORKING, shockingly in spite of the ADA which you are continuing to hang your hat on. 3-NUMEROUS contract positions are similarly actively and gainfully employed, despite your argument re the ADA, as are NUMEROUS federal employees deemed exempt.

    "A number of factors affect whether private-sector workers remain on the job during a shutdown, including whether they support “essential” government functions and whether their duties are funded through past appropriations or scheduled for payment with future funding bills."

    Mind you...STILL not relevant as there is ZERO indication that the priest was barred because his contract was not funded.
    And what you all still fail to realize is that it would then place the blame either way on individual commands, not Obama. Either the bases like Quantico are wrong and should not be allowing theirs to work, or the law is written in a way that allows some contract workers to work only if they have a certain type of contract. It is still wrong to blame such things on Obama. The law is there. The technicalities of the law are unknown to us, apparently, but it isn't that hard to figure out that this is more complicated than just Obama telling priests that they can't do their "jobs" on bases.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #198
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Priests Risk Arrest for Offering Sacraments to Catholic Troops During Shutdown

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Actually it does unless you have some sort of info that says their contract was the reason they were denied access. And of course, we know contracts had precisely squat to do with monument and park closures and we also saw just how readily the Administration bailed on its park closure stance when it involved an illegal immigration rally. Just as we know that across the government contract employees are still just as much 'on the job' as they were before the furlough started.

    The Administration is filled with childish and petty individuals. Their response is the worst kind of petulant childlike behavior. They shut ROADS down in the middle of nowhere. They deployed armed police and park rangers to tell people they couldnt drive down roads or stop and take pictures. And they locked up a chapel on an otherwise open military installation. Of course...to their true believers, they can do no wrong and there will always be some twisted excuse or justification.
    I showed you it. It is actually more likely that the contract with Quantico is the one that has a special provision to overcome the law, rather than the others having a contract that goes with the law.

    Whether you want to understand it or not, they cannot allow people to congest roads outside a park that has to be closed because people are determined to see the sight despite the shutdown. They cannot allow people in parks that have to be closed, on government property that is maintained by federal funds, no matter whether people don't understand that or not. There was no military chaplains to operate the chapel so yes, it had to be closed. It sucks but it is politics and it is petty to blame this on Obama, especially placing all the blame on him.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #199
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,729

    Re: Priests Risk Arrest for Offering Sacraments to Catholic Troops During Shutdown

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    And what you all still fail to realize is that it would then place the blame either way on individual commands, not Obama. Either the bases like Quantico are wrong and should not be allowing theirs to work, or the law is written in a way that allows some contract workers to work only if they have a certain type of contract. It is still wrong to blame such things on Obama. The law is there. The technicalities of the law are unknown to us, apparently, but it isn't that hard to figure out that this is more complicated than just Obama telling priests that they can't do their "jobs" on bases.
    Its not just Quantico that has contract personnel still and always on board and doing their job...its bases and posts around the globe. There was absolutely NO need to block the Chapel access, just as there has been no need to deploy a small army of personnel to lock down open air monuments and park access roads. The contract argument was just a grasp at an argument to justify the actions of the Administration. ANY justification, regardless of how petty and childish they are behaving.
    Last edited by VanceMack; 10-10-13 at 08:18 PM.

  10. #200
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-20-13 @ 04:50 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,195

    Re: Priests Risk Arrest for Offering Sacraments to Catholic Troops During Shutdown

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Seriously? Did you just try to accuse me of being on welfare simply because I mentioned it?

    You pay for my housing and you pay for part of my grocery bill and you pay both me and my husband and for a majority of our insurance, medical, dental, and even life insurance because I am both a military spouse and a Navy reservist.

    I asked a question that you didn't answer, instead trying to accuse the President of things. I asked specifically, would it be okay if the President signed an executive order to fund welfare recipients because he felt they were in danger of being put in a worse financial situation for a long time? That would be a priority to many, just as paying a death benefit is a priority to others. Who are you to say that the dead are more important than the living, who are trying to take care of their children?
    Your question is a false premise

    1) Obama will have doubled the debt by the end of his Presidency (if he doesn't seek lifetime presidency anyways)

    2) His job as Commander in Chief is to make absolutely sure that soldiers who die in the line of duty on the field of battle are honored. That their family members are taken care of. Comparing that to Obamacare and EBT cards is a disgrace

    Which welfare recipients? The millions who are scamming the Disability Program? The Unemployed on 99 weeks of xbox and pot leave? The EBT cards? The 50 million + dependent upon Food Stamps? Those people are getting paid right now while the families of soldiers are having to rely on private donations to attend the funeral of their slain loved ones.

    Obama has known about this issue for days and did nothing. There were appropriations bills that even tried to address this, but Obama's Pentagon interpreted the Law their way. As of right now, Obama and Reid CONTINUE to block all resolution that would address this issue.

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •