Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 369

Thread: House Republicans seek probe of D.C. monument closures[W:120]

  1. #121
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,356

    Re: House Republicans seek probe of D.C. monument closures

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    What the administration CHOOSES to close is an indicator of their motives and priorities. To place barriers around monuments that are otherwise unfenced... to place orange cones and block highway pull-outs so people can't take pictures of Mt Rushmore... are things that simply make them look petty and childish. Those actions make them look unconcerned for the average citizen, that they're using the average citizen as a pawn, and it's repugnant.

    Just because they can do something doesn't mean they should. They have forfeited any claim to the moral high ground by being so petty.
    "Morall high ground? What moral high ground has he displayed? He started out in the Sequester by preventing school children from visiting the White House. Many of those children often worked hard by holding bake sales, etc, to fund their trips to DC. And the Dems, who are constantly exhorting us to "think of the children," went silent on this. The White House belongs to American people, not whoever happens to occupy it at any given time, which seems to have escaped the current occupant. He does allow friends to visit him there, though, with bands, singers, and other entertainment, and food provided for them.

    Now we are seeing parks and monuments, which also belong to the people, closed, even when donors offer to pay the salaries of the people who work there, to keep them open. And declaring 1100 miles of ocean off-limits to people who like to go boating might take the prize for most childish idea ever thought of. Are they planning on aresting people for visiting their property, and on what grounds?? That should be interesting!

    So the trend continues and the games go on, but history books will tell future readers all about it! That's guaranteed! What a legacy, but not an unexpected one, when his background is considered!

    Greetings, radcen.

  2. #122
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: House Republicans seek probe of D.C. monument closures

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    What is there left of the health care bill to negotiate away?
    Whats not left?
    “The law is reason, free from passion.”
    Aristotle
    (≚ᄌ≚)

  3. #123
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,040

    Re: House Republicans seek probe of D.C. monument closures

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Because the gov runs those areas and they are not considered essential. Look everyone knew this was part of the deal when the gov shuts down...
    There is nothing to run. So how does perceived bad behavior by Republicans justify going to extra lengths to make sure people cant use public spaces which cost the govt nothing?

  4. #124
    Sage
    Oftencold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A small village in Alaska
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 12:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,044

    Re: House Republicans seek probe of D.C. monument closures[W:120]

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    The GOP shut down the government and Issa wants to investigate why it shut down. The farce is complete.

    House Republicans seek probe of D.C. monument closures - Darren Goode - POLITICO.com
    Why should you think that? There is a legitimate question about why these various monuments didn't close during "government shutdowns" during competent Administrations.
    Quod scripsi, scripsi

  5. #125
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: House Republicans seek probe of D.C. monument closures

    Ah yes, a probe is necessary but not an agreement to open the government up.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  6. #126
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: House Republicans seek probe of D.C. monument closures

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    "Morall high ground? What moral high ground has he displayed? He started out in the Sequester by preventing school children from visiting the White House. Many of those children often worked hard by holding bake sales, etc, to fund their trips to DC. And the Dems, who are constantly exhorting us to "think of the children," went silent on this. The White House belongs to American people, not whoever happens to occupy it at any given time, which seems to have escaped the current occupant. He does allow friends to visit him there, though, with bands, singers, and other entertainment, and food provided for them.

    Now we are seeing parks and monuments, which also belong to the people, closed, even when donors offer to pay the salaries of the people who work there, to keep them open. And declaring 1100 miles of ocean off-limits to people who like to go boating might take the prize for most childish idea ever thought of. Are they planning on aresting people for visiting their property, and on what grounds?? That should be interesting!

    So the trend continues and the games go on, but history books will tell future readers all about it! That's guaranteed! What a legacy, but not an unexpected one, when his background is considered!

    Greetings, radcen.
    Exactly my point. If you listen to the Administration (and they're sycophant supporters) they are trying to claim a moral high ground. Truth is, it's not theirs to claim.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #127
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:23 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,607

    Re: House Republicans seek probe of D.C. monument closures

    Speaking of "high ground" and the Administration's lack of it here, it's funny that rallies they're sympathetic to can still happen on the "closed" National Mall:

    Park Service OKs immigration reform rally on 'closed' National Mall | WashingtonExaminer.com


    And the President's favorite golf course is still open on an air force base, while grocery stores at army bases have been closed due to the shutdown:

    Troops Forage for Food While Golfers Play On in Shutdown - Bloomberg
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  8. #128
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,056

    Re: House Republicans seek probe of D.C. monument closures

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    Whats not left?
    Am I to take from this that all of the bill should be negotiated away?

  9. #129
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,483

    Re: House Republicans seek probe of D.C. monument closures

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    This is what it means to shut down non essential things, and that means you do not get to do what you want with their land. This is what a government shutdown is. This is what the republicans want, but they also want to have all the stuff they like be there. This is what you get. Deal or fold.
    Did you just say their land?

    Whos land exactly?

  10. #130
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,483

    Re: House Republicans seek probe of D.C. monument closures

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    It would be nice if the federal government was consistent in what is or is not shut down. However that doesn't change the fact that those homes were on federal lands and therefore the residents can be kicked off the federal property.
    But there is no reason for it.

Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •