Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 277

Thread: John Boehner: Obama owns this shutdown now

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: John Boehner: Obama owns this shutdown now

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    They ALL own this shutdown. It isn't some isolated thing...everything over the past few years led to the point where baths sides finally acted as they did. **** the finger pointing, it's on all of them
    A total cliché. You can't identify anything the Senate or Obama has done to result in this shutdown. They have offered to compromise, offered to conference, and even implemented much of the GOP's odious agenda. Still, the tea party occupation forces march obliviously onward.

    And that's because conservatives want to shut down the government. They are that nihilistic and extreme.

  2. #72
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    Re: John Boehner: Obama owns this shutdown now

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    They ALL own this shutdown. It isn't some isolated thing...everything over the past few years led to the point where baths sides finally acted as they did. **** the finger pointing, it's on all of them
    They own it if the premise is that by accepting or rejecting a given proposal they are taking action and thus direct the outcome of the event. However, is the kink in this argument that key Republican figures propelled a maneuver that they knew would be unacceptable (and fail in the process) to their opposition, which would then bring us to this point?
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  3. #73
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: John Boehner: Obama owns this shutdown now

    Democrats agreed to Republicans sequester budget number and Repubs moved the goalposts as in the past.

  4. #74
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: John Boehner: Obama owns this shutdown now

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    They ALL own this shutdown. It isn't some isolated thing...everything over the past few years led to the point where baths sides finally acted as they did. **** the finger pointing, it's on all of them
    That's true, but I'm still putting more blame on the GOP.

    The simple fact of the matter is this stems back to the 2008 election. If the GOP had simply just worked with Obama on the initial bill rather than stone walling and refusing to participate, we would not be here AND we'd likely have a better bill. How the Democrats rammed the ACA through was wrong, but that doesn't mean how holding the spending hostage as to how the GOP's doing it now is better. This just shows that the parties aren't much different from each other. Neither has the interests of the people at heart.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  5. #75
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: John Boehner: Obama owns this shutdown now

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    That's true, but I'm still putting more blame on the GOP.

    The simple fact of the matter is this stems back to the 2008 election. If the GOP had simply just worked with Obama on the initial bill rather than stone walling and refusing to participate, we would not be here AND we'd likely have a better bill. How the Democrats rammed the ACA through was wrong, but that doesn't mean how holding the spending hostage as to how the GOP's doing it now is better. This just shows that the parties aren't much different from each other. Neither has the interests of the people at heart.
    You're kidding right? The GOP offered ~100 amendments to the original bill and NONE of them were considered...wondering how you define 'stone walling'?
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  6. #76
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    07-25-17 @ 12:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,878

    Re: John Boehner: Obama owns this shutdown now

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    Democrats agreed to Republicans sequester budget number and Repubs moved the goalposts as in the past.
    But with respect to Defense spending didn't the Republicans agree to the Democrat's budget numbers alike?
    "The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure" - 2006 Senator Obama...leadership failure indeed!

  7. #77
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Seen
    11-15-15 @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    802

    Re: John Boehner: Obama owns this shutdown now

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    The simple fact is Obama and the Democrats vowed to shut down the entire government if the House won't fund Obamacare.

    THUS, the TRUTH is that Republicans have shut down Obamacare and Obama and Democrats have shut down everything else. Yet not one media source is reporting that obvious truth.
    They don't need the house to fund Obamacare. Obamacare already is funded.

  8. #78
    Sage
    JC Callender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,632

    Re: John Boehner: Obama owns this shutdown now

    Anyone know the current death toll caused by the government shutdown?

  9. #79
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: John Boehner: Obama owns this shutdown now

    With respect to the entire sequester, Dems agreed to Republican numbers.
    In the past, Repubs have added to the numbers the Joint Chiefs have asked for and Cantor specifically said they were not telling the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    But with respect to Defense spending didn't the Republicans agree to the Democrat's budget numbers alike?

  10. #80
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: John Boehner: Obama owns this shutdown now

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickieboy View Post
    You're kidding right? The GOP offered ~100 amendments to the original bill and NONE of them were considered...wondering how you define 'stone walling'?
    Amendments designed to make it unknowable are hardly "contributions."

    Furthermore, many of their ideas are already in the bill:

    Ezra Klein - The six Republican ideas already in the health-care reform bill

    44 - Top House Republicans throw cold water on health-care summit
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •