Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 277

Thread: John Boehner: Obama owns this shutdown now

  1. #121
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,837

    Re: John Boehner: Obama owns this shutdown now

    Compromise, you mean when the House refused 18 times to go to conference?
    You mean when Dems gave Repubs the sequester number they wanted?
    After ACA, what law will next be attached to a CR?
    Chained CPI--How about Medicare, a stated Repub position?
    The hostage-taking stops NOW!!
    Quote Originally Posted by FederalRepublic View Post
    You mean compromise? To hell with that!

  2. #122
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,144

    Re: John Boehner: Obama owns this shutdown now

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    Maybe but the American people are the ones who get to vote on who represents them in Washington.
    Right and they elected the people in the House to repeal Obamacare which is what they're trying to do and getting hell for it...

  3. #123
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,992

    Re: John Boehner: Obama owns this shutdown now

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    Right and they elected the people in the House to repeal Obamacare which is what they're trying to do and getting hell for it...
    since obamacare has already gone into effect, doesn't the argument of defunding it make no sense now?

  4. #124
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,144

    Re: John Boehner: Obama owns this shutdown now

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Honestly. Congress and the Senate are to blame. Suggesting this is on Obama is typical right wing radio nonsense.

    Meanwhile all of those bastards are still getting paid.
    Didn't Obama say as POTUS the buck stops with him? Was that just more pillow talk?

    Yeah, that is major BS that they get paid, just goes to show how corrupt the system really is..

  5. #125
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: John Boehner: Obama owns this shutdown now

    Quote Originally Posted by uncleray View Post
    Just finished reading through your link. Very helpful.
    However, the Republicans harped on "Repeal and Replace" they seem to have forgotten about the "Replace" part.
    It is necessary to clear out the trash before something useful can be put in the space that it occupies.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  6. #126
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: John Boehner: Obama owns this shutdown now

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Washington Democrats have slammed the door on reopening the government.

    The president isn't telling the whole story when it comes to the government shutdown. The fact is that Washington Democrats have slammed the door on reopening the government by refusing to engage in bipartisan talks....
    BS.

    What Boehner is doing now is Letting those who need to cause enough Mischief to make their constituents happy.
    These are the same constituents who keep wanting to "Take the country back"... from a Re-elected President. (!)

    They lost the original vote on on ACA, of Course and don't have the votes to repeal it now either.
    It was challenged in the UNSC as well and passed muster.

    So What we have then is an Unprecedented and bizarre attempt to take the budget/country hostage on that basis: a passed Law.
    If the Democrats/Prez ever allowed a small minority to be able to change/overturn a law using these tactics, it would be the end of our democracy.
    Are other members on the Right willing to shut the country down over abortion or other traditional tough issues?
    No.
    This is Personal vendetta against a bill called 'Obamacare'. The official Moniker ACA, polls considerably better than the Prez Nickname.
    Most people who are polled, don't eve know what's in it, just it's called Obamacare.
    Six of One - Obamacare vs. The Affordable Care Act - YouTube

    Yes, the wack jobs can do what they were elected to do, but that doesn't mean even Boehner should humor it. He is doing so for party unity and understanding their position.
    Allowing a Clean Resolution to fund the govt to come to the floor (Boehner Could Any time) would end the protest and show those who support it they are Not a majority and cannot change the law through these tactics.
    These flat-earthers must be made to understand Obama IS the President.. Again.

    I think this will end when the Debt Ceiling issue is conjoined and Democrats make other compromises to the GOP, Not Obamacare.
    That saves face for everyone and gives Boehner some chips in the big game.
    Last edited by mbig; 10-02-13 at 05:41 PM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  7. #127
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,144

    Re: John Boehner: Obama owns this shutdown now

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    since obamacare has already gone into effect, doesn't the argument of defunding it make no sense now?
    Honestly, yeah in a way. The GOP right now has to take an Alamo stance on the individual mandate. That's what this fight is about right now. Waive the individual mandate and this all goes away for now. The funding goes through, the lights get turned back on, and everyone gets to be happy, happy, happy.

    However.... By getting the individual mandate waived, the GOP scores HUGE politically. It shows them as fighters for the people and Obama and his as the corporate monkeys. Obama can't allow this as it would most certainly fire up conservatives enough to -- at minimum -- balance the Senate and make even greater gains in the House.

    Honestly the mandate should be waived, everyone but the individual citizen is getting a pass, and that's not exactly kosher. Actually, honestly no mandates should be waived because if this law was written correctly and as good as they keep preaching than exemptions wouldn't be necessary.

    If the GOP caves now on the individual exemption they might as well right a blank check until 2014 when the people can vote their sorry asses out...

  8. #128
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,213

    Re: John Boehner: Obama owns this shutdown now

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    then leave it shutdown, I am fine if it never re-opens
    There are places that lack a government in this world you could migrate to. I'm not sure why you have to destroy ours.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  9. #129
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: John Boehner: Obama owns this shutdown now

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    Compromise, you mean when the House refused 18 times to go to conference?
    You mean when Dems gave Repubs the sequester number they wanted?
    After ACA, what law will next be attached to a CR?
    Chained CPI--How about Medicare, a stated Repub position?
    The hostage-taking stops NOW!!
    Exactly. Would you bother going to conference if there were no chance the other party was going to compromise with you? Democrats are throwing a hissy fit and holding the entire government hostage because the republicans won't let them make health care less affordable. It's a damn shame the republicans waited this long to force a compromise.

  10. #130
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: John Boehner: Obama owns this shutdown now

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    That's not true at all. I already know what my deductible is, and what my copay is going to be. I also know what my premium is going to be. I am getting the insurance.

    I have come a very long way from what I believed before to what I believe now. It took the death of a very good friend of mine to make me see the light. Last Sunday, I played a benefit concert for the widow and grandchild of Papa Bluez, who was an icon in the Houston area. He could not afford health insurance. A couple of months ago, he began experiencing tightness in his chest. He didn't see a doctor because he could not afford it. 2 days later he was dead. He died because he did not have the money to see a doctor.

    Before the death of Papa Bluez, I was dead set against any kind of subsidized health insurance. It took the death of a dear friend of mine, and the circumstances surrounding his death, to make me see the light. If we cannot provide health care for our own citizens, then we are savages, and nothing more. There are a lot of things I don't like about Obamacare, but at this point, I am willing to give it a chance, so that many others do not end up like Papa Bluez - Dead before their time.
    A check-up at the doctor's office doesn't cost much. It would be considerably less if everybody would just pay for it instead of giving their money to someone else and having them pay for it. Your friend didn't die because he couldn't afford a checkup. He died because he didn't go see a doctor. That's not a good reason to let the government further screw up health care in America.

Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •