Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 137

Thread: Government shutdown: House GOP to delay individual mandate

  1. #1
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,367

    Government shutdown: House GOP to delay individual mandate

    Government shutdown: House GOP to delay individual mandate - Jake Sherman and John Bresnahan - POLITICO.com

    With just hours to go until the government shuts down, House Republicans will try to pass a bill that would delay the mandate that individuals buy health insurance and would cancel health-insurance subsidies for members of Congress and staff, the president and administration appointees, according to multiple sources.

    Those provisions would be attached to a government-funding bill, which will almost certainly be rejected by the Senate, since Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) has said he wouldn’t accept changes to Obamacare in the government funding negotiations. On Monday afternoon, the Senate rejected the House’s last government funding bill, which delayed Obamacare for a year and repealed the medical device tax.
    this is ridiculous.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Government shutdown: House GOP to delay individual mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    this is ridiculous.
    Yes it is. Absolutely ridiculous that the Democrats and Liberals in the US Senate are too full of themselves to look at what their consituents want instead of what those politicians think the citizenry should want.

  3. #3
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    52,286

    Re: Government shutdown: House GOP to delay individual mandate

    Democrats should counter with a nationwide ban on ammunition sales.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Yes it is. Absolutely ridiculous that the Democrats and Liberals in the US Senate are too full of themselves to look at what their consituents want instead of what those politicians think the citizenry should want.
    The people have not voted the Republicans enough legislative power to do what they're trying to do here.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #4
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,367

    Re: Government shutdown: House GOP to delay individual mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Yes it is. Absolutely ridiculous that the Democrats and Liberals in the US Senate are too full of themselves to look at what their consituents want instead of what those politicians think the citizenry should want.
    no i think it is ridiculous that John Boehner has to cater to the whims of cast-iron Conservative who see any sign of negotiation as a sign of weakness.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Government shutdown: House GOP to delay individual mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    no i think it is ridiculous that John Boehner has to cater to the whims of cast-iron Conservative who see any sign of negotiation as a sign of weakness.
    Then he needs to find enough Republicans in the House to vote with the Democrats, and move forward a CR without any amendments related to Obamacare/ACA in it. Oh, gee, he can't do that, can he? Then maybe HE is the one who's out of step with his party and needs to get on board.

  6. #6
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    52,286

    Re: Government shutdown: House GOP to delay individual mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Then he needs to find enough Republicans in the House to vote with the Democrats, and move forward a CR without any amendments related to Obamacare/ACA in it. Oh, gee, he can't do that, can he? Then maybe HE is the one who's out of step with his party and needs to get on board.
    He could if the GOP had been anything remotely resembling reasonable about the ACA... ever. They latched their entire party onto the fantasy of repealing it with a Democrat in the white house. And failed.

    Now they're going to pay for it.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #7
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,367

    Re: Government shutdown: House GOP to delay individual mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Then he needs to find enough Republicans in the House to vote with the Democrats, and move forward a CR without any amendments related to Obamacare/ACA in it. Oh, gee, he can't do that, can he? Then maybe HE is the one who's out of step with his party and needs to get on board.
    Boehner can't put a clean Continuing resolution onto the floor because he knows the Cast iron conservatives would be outraged and could potentially try to oust him as speaker of the house.

    if all the democrats voted for a clean continuing resolution to fund the government, all boehner needs is for 17 republicans to vote yes on the bill, and it passes by a simple majority.

  8. #8
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    37,438

    Re: Government shutdown: House GOP to delay individual mandate

    And there are that many. But he won't do it. Do you think he is considering giving up being Speaker? A scary thought to have Cantor in line after Biden.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Boehner can't put a clean Continuing resolution onto the floor because he knows the Cast iron conservatives would be outraged and could potentially try to oust him as speaker of the house.

    if all the democrats voted for a clean continuing resolution to fund the government, all boehner needs is for 17 republicans to vote yes on the bill, and it passes by a simple majority.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Government shutdown: House GOP to delay individual mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    He could if the GOP had been anything remotely resembling reasonable about the ACA... ever. They latched their entire party onto the fantasy of repealing it with a Democrat in the white house. And failed.

    Now they're going to pay for it.
    So be it, but it's really the American people who will pay for the unwillingness of the Democrats and Leftists to accept that the majority of Americans do not like th elegislation they passes, and want it seriously modified, if not repealed entirely.

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Boehner can't put a clean Continuing resolution onto the floor because he knows the Cast iron conservatives would be outraged and could potentially try to oust him as speaker of the house.
    They wouldn't TRY. He would be gone. Not only from the Leadership, but from the Party as well. Maybe he should have thought of that before he agreed to run for the Speakership.

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    if all the democrats voted for a clean continuing resolution to fund the government, all boehner needs is for 17 republicans to vote yes on the bill, and it passes by a simple majority.
    True. The question is, could he get those 17 votes. I don't think so. That means he's in the MINORITY, and maybe that's where he ought to go, permanently.... the Democratic Party would be happy to have him, I'm sure.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-08-13 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,114

    Re: Government shutdown: House GOP to delay individual mandate

    the majority of the American public is ridiculous?

    RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Repeal of Health Care Law: Favor/Oppose
    RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Public Approval of Health Care Law
    Americans Reject by 61% Obama Demand for Clean Debt Vote
    Americans Reject by 61% Obama Demand for Clean Debt Vote - Bloomberg

    as usual your assertions are not it the scope of reality

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •