Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: US nearly detonated an atomic bomb over North Carolina-secret document

  1. #1
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    US nearly detonated an atomic bomb over North Carolina-secret document

    The bomb that nearly exploded over North Carolina was 260 times more powerful than the device which devasted Hiroshima in 1945. Photo: Three Lions/Getty Images
    A secret document, published in declassified form for the first time by the Guardian today, reveals that the US Air Force came dramatically close to detonating an atom bomb over North Carolina that would have been 260 times more powerful than the device that devastated Hiroshima.


    http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...-carolina-1961

  2. #2
    Guru
    sbrettt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Prospect park, PA
    Last Seen
    08-09-15 @ 07:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,724

    Re: US nearly detonated an atomic bomb over North Carolina-secret document

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    The bomb that nearly exploded over North Carolina was 260 times more powerful than the device which devasted Hiroshima in 1945. Photo: Three Lions/Getty Images
    A secret document, published in declassified form for the first time by the Guardian today, reveals that the US Air Force came dramatically close to detonating an atom bomb over North Carolina that would have been 260 times more powerful than the device that devastated Hiroshima.


    US nearly detonated atomic bomb over North Carolina
    I read about this in MotherJones. I think the plane spiraled out of control due to an airborn fueling mishap... Pretty scary stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Should I be free to buy anthrax and a rocket launcher?
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Osophy View Post
    Is there a reason you shouldnt be free to?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tothian View Post
    Obamacare wants to put a chip inside people. There is a video of it on youtube.

  3. #3
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: US nearly detonated an atomic bomb over North Carolina-secret document

    Quote Originally Posted by sbrettt View Post
    I read about this in MotherJones. I think the plane spiraled out of control due to an airborn fueling mishap... Pretty scary stuff.
    Wow! I mean we don't think about that much, but yes such an accident would be a catastrophe. Is it necessary to train with hot bombs? Maybe because of that incident, they don't anymore.

  4. #4
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: US nearly detonated an atomic bomb over North Carolina-secret document

    Makes me wonder if they would have blamed the Russians and used it as a pretext for WW3

  5. #5
    Guru
    sbrettt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Prospect park, PA
    Last Seen
    08-09-15 @ 07:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,724

    Re: US nearly detonated an atomic bomb over North Carolina-secret document

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Wow! I mean we don't think about that much, but yes such an accident would be a catastrophe. Is it necessary to train with hot bombs? Maybe because of that incident, they don't anymore.
    I'm surprised that this incident isn't more well known. It's kind of a big deal that they almost wiped an entire state off the map. Possibly rendering the entire east coast uninhabitable for decades due to radioactive fallout.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Should I be free to buy anthrax and a rocket launcher?
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Osophy View Post
    Is there a reason you shouldnt be free to?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tothian View Post
    Obamacare wants to put a chip inside people. There is a video of it on youtube.

  6. #6
    Guru
    sbrettt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Prospect park, PA
    Last Seen
    08-09-15 @ 07:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,724

    Re: US nearly detonated an atomic bomb over North Carolina-secret document

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Makes me wonder if they would have blamed the Russians and used it as a pretext for WW3
    I don't know about that, but I think they definitely would have lied about it if there was any plausible deniability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Should I be free to buy anthrax and a rocket launcher?
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil_Osophy View Post
    Is there a reason you shouldnt be free to?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tothian View Post
    Obamacare wants to put a chip inside people. There is a video of it on youtube.

  7. #7
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,262

    Re: US nearly detonated an atomic bomb over North Carolina-secret document

    Let the speculation begin!
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: US nearly detonated an atomic bomb over North Carolina-secret document

    Quote Originally Posted by sbrettt View Post
    I don't know about that, but I think they definitely would have lied about it if there was any plausible deniability.
    That we can be certain of.

  9. #9
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: US nearly detonated an atomic bomb over North Carolina-secret document

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Let the speculation begin!
    Well sure, that's all it is.

  10. #10
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,143

    Re: US nearly detonated an atomic bomb over North Carolina-secret document

    The title is misleading, both bombs fell to the ground.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •