Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 124

Thread: DeLay conviction overturned

  1. #111
    Sage
    longview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,356

    Re: DeLay conviction overturned

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    I saw evidence of just that in the appeals court ruling allowing DeLay to escape his crimes.
    We will just have to agree to disagree, The appeals court found errors in the trail courts verdict,
    overturned it, and rendered a verdict of acquittal.
    I do not think they can retry Delay, but the damage is already done.
    There is a danger to our freedoms, when our Justice system is used as a political tool.

  2. #112
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,877

    Re: DeLay conviction overturned

    Quote Originally Posted by longview View Post
    We will just have to agree to disagree, The appeals court found errors in the trail courts verdict,
    overturned it, and rendered a verdict of acquittal.
    I do not think they can retry Delay, but the damage is already done.
    There is a danger to our freedoms, when our Justice system is used as a political tool.
    I do agree with your final sentence.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  3. #113
    Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    11-30-13 @ 07:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,293

    Re: DeLay conviction overturned

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    A jury of 12 Texans sat and heard the charges. They heard the witnesses for both sides. They examined the evidence. They listened to the judge explain the law.

    And they found him GUILTY.

    Republicans on the appeals court rewarded him for political services rendered to the party.
    Like I said, you don't care what the law said.
    "“If we don’t deepen our ports all along the Gulf — places like Charleston, South Carolina; or Savannah, Georgia; or Jacksonville, Florida…” -Obama

  4. #114
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,877

    Re: DeLay conviction overturned

    Quote Originally Posted by ItAin'tFree View Post
    Like I said, you don't care what the law said.
    12 jurors said otherwise after hearing all the evidence and examining the law.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #115
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,285

    Re: DeLay conviction overturned

    Quote Originally Posted by longview View Post
    A jury of 12 Travis county residents were convinced that the spirit of the law was more important
    that the letter of the law.
    This whole it's right because it feels right, is a liberal concept, Should we not be surprised
    that that was the basis of a conviction in the most liberal county in Texas?
    Last time I checked 2002 (when the Supposed offense took place), predates the 2004 law
    that made it illegal to transfer the type of funds used by Delay by check.
    It is a technicality, but still the law.
    The appeals court overturned an incorrect Jury verdict, and rendered a verdict of acquittal.
    Today, the congress has about a 10% approval rating.

    When DeLay was convicted maybe it was 20%. My bet is another jury today hearing the same evidence would convict again.

    That some appeals court overturned a jury verdict is a fine example of WHY the entire damn government has a low approval rating--it is utterly corrupt, including the judiciary.

    Look which branch gave us the sophistry of Kelo or Citizens United.

  6. #116
    Sage
    longview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,356

    Re: DeLay conviction overturned

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    Today, the congress has about a 10% approval rating.

    When DeLay was convicted maybe it was 20%. My bet is another jury today hearing the same evidence would convict again.

    That some appeals court overturned a jury verdict is a fine example of WHY the entire damn government has a low approval rating--it is utterly corrupt, including the judiciary.

    Look which branch gave us the sophistry of Kelo or Citizens United.
    If the Jury reaches an incorrect guilty verdict (no existing law was violated at the time of the incident)
    and trail judges misses or ignores the miscarriage of justice, it is the job of the appeals court to
    overturn such convictions.
    Our Justice system is weighted towards innocence, which is why a Judge or an appeals court
    may not overturn a Jury's not guilty verdict.

  7. #117
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,877

    Re: DeLay conviction overturned

    Quote Originally Posted by longview View Post
    If the Jury reaches an incorrect guilty verdict (no existing law was violated at the time of the incident)
    and trail judges misses or ignores the miscarriage of justice, it is the job of the appeals court to
    overturn such convictions.
    Our Justice system is weighted towards innocence, which is why a Judge or an appeals court
    may not overturn a Jury's not guilty verdict.
    A jury of 12 Texans who heard the case decided differently. Of course, they were not there to go through a series of convoluted legal gymnastics in a blatant attempt to reward a Republican politician for service to the Republican Party in giving them control of redistricting and the legislature for the next decade.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #118
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: DeLay conviction overturned

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    12 jurors said otherwise after hearing all the evidence and examining the law.
    They did the same in in the Simpson trial. So what??

  9. #119
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,877

    Re: DeLay conviction overturned

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    They did the same in in the Simpson trial. So what??
    Two very very very different things completely. But feel free to tell us how they were more or less the same thing.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  10. #120
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: DeLay conviction overturned

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Two very very very different things completely. But feel free to tell us how they were more or less the same thing.
    Jury error.

    There have been other cases of judge or jury error as well, which is why there are Appeals.

    I thought most people knew that.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •