Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 139

Thread: Aaron Alexis: Washington navy yard gunman obsessed with violent video games.

  1. #61
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Aaron Alexis: Washington navy yard gunman obsessed with violent video games.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    A few things with this...

    First, while I'm not in favor of most gun limitations, there's a distinct difference between limiting someone access to something with which they can easily kill, and limiting someone access to something that may inspire them to try and access something else that can allow them to easily kill. Attempting to correlate "if it's okay for guns, it's okay for video games" is a bit ridiculous because of that notion.

    Save for trying to break the DVD and stab someone with it, no one is perpetrating the murder of another person using their Starcraft CD as the means of doing it.

    Second, if you're against banning of guns based on constitutional grounds...please explain to me what constitutional ability you believe the government should have to ban private citizens from purchasing a legal product that does not pose a DIRECT threat to themselves or others?

    Third, the statement wasn't that violent people are attracted singularly to violent games but rather they're attracted to violent things. Shall we be looking to ban books, television, movies, plays, songs, paintings, and other forms of media and art from access by "violent" individuals?

    Fourth, you and others ignorantly assume correlation in any way equals causation. Some of the highest scoring players in the NBA also commit the most fouls. OBVIOUSLY, NBA coaches should tell their best players to go out there and start fouling people because that will lead to points because there's a correlation there!

    Fifth, almost everything regarding video games and mass shooters that comes out is generally speculative stuff stated by those around him. Someone sits and watches 8 hours of TV and people shrug because individuals young and old have done that. People sit and play 8 hours of video game and suddenly it's a "binge". Someone who goes home each night and watches a movie on Netflix is shrugged at, someone who goes home each night and plays a couple ours of Gears of War is "obsessed". Without some actual hard evidence, and specifically some actual context as to what the individual was spending his time on overall, the statements are rather worthless. I guarantee you almost every mass killer of recent memory talked on a phone, used a computer, watched a television, listened to a radio, and read something. OMG! There's now a correlation between those things and killers! WE MUST TAKE ACTION!
    First, I don't ignorantly assume anything.

    I appreciate your views require you to dismiss those things that fly against your beliefs. However, I reject your argument.

    Fact, millions of people own and use guns and have never committed mass murder.

    Fact, millions of people own and use violent video games and have never committed mass murder.

    Fact, a tiny sliver of a percentage of people own and use guns, and have committed mass murder.

    Fact, it is becoming apparent an alarming percetage of people own and use violent video games and have committed mass murder.

    Explain.

  2. #62
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Aaron Alexis: Washington navy yard gunman obsessed with violent video games.

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    they may be, but the difference (and I personally think it's significant), is the sensory input of games vs music. With games you have visual and auditory input, which I suspect is more influential.
    I think the simple fact that an adult is playing video games for 16 hours a day, on a regular basis, is reason for alarm. I don't care if the game is tetris...
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  3. #63
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Aaron Alexis: Washington navy yard gunman obsessed with violent video games.

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    First, I don't ignorantly assume anything.
    Oh no, you ignorantly assumed quite a lot.

    Fact, millions of people own and use guns and have never committed mass murder.
    Correct

    Fact, millions of people own and use violent video games and have never committed mass murder.
    Correct

    Fact, a tiny sliver of a percentage of people own and use guns, and have committed mass murder.
    Correct

    Fact, it is becoming apparent an alarming percetage of people own and use violent video games and have committed mass murder.
    Incorrect. This is not a "Fact", this is an opinion. It's your OPINION that an alarming percentage of people have done this.

    The fact would be thus:

    Fact, a tiny sliver of a percentage of people who own and use video games, also have committed mass murder.

    That's a fact. What you stated is an OPINION.

    Now, in terms of the FACT you gave about gun owners and the FACT I gave about video games...let me give you some other facts.

    Fact, a tiny sliver of a percentage of people own and used a TV, also have committed mass murder

    Fact, a tiny sliver of a percentage of people who listen to music, also have committed mass murder

    Fact, a tiny sliver of a percentage of people who own and read a bible, also have committed mass murder

    Unlike you however I'm not going to ask you to "explain", as the evidenced that these instances are all tiny slivers suggests that there are more underlining reasons than the entities that people are attempting to levy blame upon. I would suggest it would be reasonable to look at a WIDE RANGE of possible factors and things as a society, but the repeated and continual focus on a very narrow sect suggests a distinct political or societal ulterior motive than a genuine belief of something needing "explaining".

  4. #64
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Aaron Alexis: Washington navy yard gunman obsessed with violent video games.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Oh no, you ignorantly assumed quite a lot.



    Correct



    Correct



    Correct



    Incorrect. This is not a "Fact", this is an opinion. It's your OPINION that an alarming percentage of people have done this.

    The fact would be thus:

    Fact, a tiny sliver of a percentage of people who own and use video games, also have committed mass murder.

    That's a fact. What you stated is an OPINION.

    Now, in terms of the FACT you gave about gun owners and the FACT I gave about video games...let me give you some other facts.

    Fact, a tiny sliver of a percentage of people own and used a TV, also have committed mass murder

    Fact, a tiny sliver of a percentage of people who listen to music, also have committed mass murder

    Fact, a tiny sliver of a percentage of people who own and read a bible, also have committed mass murder

    Unlike you however I'm not going to ask you to "explain", as the evidenced that these instances are all tiny slivers suggests that there are more underlining reasons than the entities that people are attempting to levy blame upon. I would suggest it would be reasonable to look at a WIDE RANGE of possible factors and things as a society, but the repeated and continual focus on a very narrow sect suggests a distinct political or societal ulterior motive than a genuine belief of something needing "explaining".

    Unfortunately I think your partisan slip is showing.

    First, I didn't offer an opinion, I reported what is being offered in the media.

    Second, your "facts" are ignoring the truth.

    Fact, very few people commit mass murder.

    Fact, a not insignificant percentage of these mass shooters have been seen to be heavy users of violent video games.

    This is not opinion, it's a matter of public record.

    It's unfortunate it's so difficult for you to see this factual connection reported by the authorities who have conducted searches of these murderers personal effects.

  5. #65
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Aaron Alexis: Washington navy yard gunman obsessed with violent video games.

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Fact, a not insignificant percentage of these mass shooters have been seen to be heavy users of violent video games.
    I bet they ate at MacDonalds a lot, too.


    It's the pink goo! I nailed it. What next? The economy? Give me a sec, I'll solve that one too.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  6. #66
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Aaron Alexis: Washington navy yard gunman obsessed with violent video games.

    Now listen up...this may be a shocker: Humans are humans. Along with communication and building stuff, we also excell at killing each other. Been doing it for millenia, with rocks, sticks, axs, swords, hammers, string....guns are just the next step. As soon as someone figures it out, we'll be doing it telepathically. What's the common denominator? Humans. Not rocks, not sticks, not guns.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  7. #67
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Aaron Alexis: Washington navy yard gunman obsessed with violent video games.

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    I bet they ate at MacDonalds a lot, too.


    It's the pink goo! I nailed it. What next? The economy? Give me a sec, I'll solve that one too.
    Probably pee'd, and took regular breaths. Doesn't escape what appears to be a growing connection.

    I know, must not dis the vaunted video games!!!

  8. #68
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Aaron Alexis: Washington navy yard gunman obsessed with violent video games.

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Unfortunately I think your partisan slip is showing.
    Exactly how is what I'm saying indicating my "partisan slip" is showing?

    First, I didn't offer an opinion, I reported what is being offered in the media.
    Actually, you absolutely DID offer an opinion by claiming it was an "alarming percentage". That is an OPINION...unless you're suggesting to me that there is some sort of measurable metric to declare something "alarming".

    Second, your "facts" are ignoring the truth.
    What "Truth" is it ignoring?

    Fact, very few people commit mass murder.
    Correct

    Fact, a not insignificant percentage of these mass shooters have been seen to be heavy users of violent video games.
    Again, you're entering the realm of opinion. "Heavy User" is not some kind of defined term. What constitutes a "heavy user" as opposed to a "user"? Outside of a handful of news reports, what proof or evidence is there that those individuals are "heavy users".

    However, for the sake of playing...sure, a significant percentage of mass shooters have reportedly played video games.

    This is not opinion, it's a matter of public record.
    I'm sorry, there's a "public record" defining "Heavy user"? And I didn't realize statements of OPINION by people who know an individual are somehow now considered "Facts".

    So if I say (Mac, forgive me, you're the next poster I see so just using you as an example, I mean no offense) "Man, Mac is addicted to eating cheesburgers off the ass of fat asian men" that means it's a fact because I stated it and therefore it must be true?

    Please, if there's been news reports with actual facts regarding logs taken from the computers/consoles of these guys stating the amount of total play time, or they've gotten data from their online accounts in terms of hours logged over a certain amount of time, and information relating that to whether or not that is above the average for video gamers in the country (Therefore a "heavy" user rather than an "average" user)....point me to it.

    All that I've generally seen is random accusations and claims by people who know the person.

    It's unfortunate it's so difficult for you to see this factual connection reported by the authorities who have conducted searches of these murderers personal effects.
    Sure, I'm not going to say it's unlikely that many of these murderers played video games. Actually, I'm sure most of them did.

    My disagreement with you, and others, is the attempted inference that somehow one leads to, or relates, to the other. You claim *My* partisan slip...whatever that is...is showing, how about your own? The fact you focus singularly on Video Games calls your own intentions massively into question. Simply because it sells papers and is more sensational to talk about Video Games then if a person has a TV in their home doesn't change that very real likelihood that a significant percentage of mass murders own a television...listen to music....have read a book....etc Video Games deserves no more scrutiny, or demand for "explanation", than any of those.

  9. #69
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Aaron Alexis: Washington navy yard gunman obsessed with violent video games.

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Probably pee'd, and took regular breaths. Doesn't escape what appears to be a growing connection.

    I know, must not dis the vaunted video games!!!
    You realize your "growing connection" is no more valid, worth while, intelligent, or necessitating further action than the things you just stated, right? The ignorant logic utilize to come to your conclusion about the "growing connection" to video games can be applied in the EXACT SAME MANNER to the things you just stated.

  10. #70
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    Re: Aaron Alexis: Washington navy yard gunman obsessed with violent video games.

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Not that this had anything to do with anything.



    Exclusive: The Washington Navy Yard gunman Aaron Alexis played violent video games including Call of Duty for up to 16 hours at a time and friends believe it could have pushed him towards becoming a mass murderer.


    Aaron Alexis: Washington navy yard gunman 'obsessed with violent video games' - Telegraph
    16 hours and what happened was a mass shooting? My first reaction to the 16 hour part would have been "ow my head is aching!"
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •