Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 139

Thread: Aaron Alexis: Washington navy yard gunman obsessed with violent video games.

  1. #111
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Aaron Alexis: Washington navy yard gunman obsessed with violent video games.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    So should we seek to limit pee'ing and breathing since there's a "growing correlation" between those things as well?
    Perhaps my attempt at answering absurdity with absurdity was a bit to subtle. The post the prompted my "pee" and "breath" comments was absurd on the face of it.

    Hypothetically, if every mass shooter was shown to have an obsessing with video games, would it be reasonable to consider addressing this?

    My point relates specifically to the abject hypocricy of the left when it comes to gun control in the wake of these tragic shootings.

    When there appears to be a growing link to these video games, any thought given to looking into their impact is soundly rejected, as evidenced by posts on this thread.

    However, as predictable as the sun rise, the only push is further regulate gun ownership.

    In my view, this bias eliminates any point they think they could make.

  2. #112
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Aaron Alexis: Washington navy yard gunman obsessed with violent video games.

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    It is clear that it is the combination of a few key issues. First issue is the mental health treatment issues in this country. It seems everyone wants the "right" to hide their mental health issues even when these issues may be/are a potential hazard for society. There are certain things that should be privy in order to determine an individual's threat to society.

    The other issue is, in a society where mental health issues go virtually ignored, there is easy access to firearms. You can do all the background checks you want, but if mental health issues are rarely reported on/treated, they will never show up on a background check. We have created a "perfect storm" here and seem to be unwilling to solve the problem.

    If, perhaps, there were intensive mental health exams required prior to owning a firearm, this may catch some of these issues with mass shootings. However, mass shootings is only the tip of the iceburg when it comes to gun violence in this country. The main culprit is the easy access to firearms. Just the shear number of firearms floating around out there makes it nearly impossible to control who can and cant get ahold of one.
    Unfortunately, your argument runs in to the reality that guns have been available for a very, very, long time. It is only in the last couple of decades that these tragic shootings have become more common place. During that period, gun control has become far more stringent, so it can't be the guns.

    The bottom line is what you touched on. The mental health issue. When the ACLU was successful in pushing mentally ill people onto the streets, it created a situation where it's extremely difficult to force someone to get help, even when it's obvious they need it.

    What ends up happening is people with an agenda side step the elephant in the room and focus on only one issue - guns, and not on other issues, like mental health, or even these lame mass murder video games.

  3. #113
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,967

    Re: Aaron Alexis: Washington navy yard gunman obsessed with violent video games.

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Hypothetically, if every mass shooter was shown to have an obsessing with video games, would it be reasonable to consider addressing this?
    Hypothetically, I think it would be reasonable to look further into it and potentially take some kind of action if there was actually clear evidence that every one was obsessing over such. My issue is that neither clear evidence nor a definition in terms of the amount have really been provided in the majority of cases.

    My point relates specifically to the abject hypocricy of the left when it comes to gun control in the wake of these tragic shootings.
    I see your point. I roll my eyes at it a bit considering the abject hypocricy of the right attempting to place blame on inanimate objects in the wake of these tragic shootings. Hypocrisy is abundant on both sides, and attempting to point out hypocrisy THROUGH hypocrisy generally is a self defeating endevour. Especially online when one has a poor ability to highlight that they're attempting to do a parody and are not serious, rather than expressing their honest views and thoughts.

    When there appears to be a growing link to these video games, any thought given to looking into their impact is soundly rejected, as evidenced by posts on this thread.
    Becuase said "growing link" and the "looking into" implied and suggested are both ridiculous upon the surface and with logic. The "growing links" are often second hand speculation coming from individuals who knew the shooter and with no quantifiable measurement as to the level of involvement the person had with them. They're also following a media template of sensationalizing things that are somewhat outside the "norm", especially for your more middle aged to elderly individuals in the media. I see no more "growing link" to "these video games" in these instances than I do to Television, music, or any other thing that is the current "blame it on this" item now.

    It's hillarious you complain about the "hypocrisy of the left" as you sit here to continue to attempt to infer and place blame upon an inanimate object for the actions perpetrated by a person.

    However, as predictable as the sun rise, the only push is further regulate gun ownership.
    No, that's not the "only push". Look at this thread, look at the NRA spokesman following the school shooting recently, it's QUITE clear there are OTHER pushes as well. While its true the gun contorl push is the strongest...and I'm not in favor of that either...it's far from the "only" push that occurs.

  4. #114
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Aaron Alexis: Washington navy yard gunman obsessed with violent video games.

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Unfortunately, your argument runs in to the reality that guns have been available for a very, very, long time. It is only in the last couple of decades that these tragic shootings have become more common place. During that period, gun control has become far more stringent, so it can't be the guns.
    But it is guns. Guns are a large contributing factor. Many countries struggle with mental health issues but they don't have mass shootings nearly as often as we do. Many countries I have been to have mass stabbings (Much of asia) because guns are not easy to acquire. And in most mass stabbing instances, the majority of people are merely injured, not killed. To say guns are not a factor is just simply ignorant.

    The bottom line is what you touched on. The mental health issue. When the ACLU was successful in pushing mentally ill people onto the streets, it created a situation where it's extremely difficult to force someone to get help, even when it's obvious they need it.
    While this is a factor is most mass shootings, the majority of gun violence is not done by people with mental health issues. Attacking the mental health issues in the US will only prevent some of the mass shootings, not all, and will do nothing to solve the overall gun violence issue. It would be as ignorant as saying that knives are just as lethal as guns. If that were the case our military would be equipped with knives instead of guns because they are cheaper and can be used more than once without wasting any materials (bullets).

    What ends up happening is people with an agenda side step the elephant in the room and focus on only one issue - guns, and not on other issues, like mental health, or even these lame mass murder video games.
    There are cetainly many issues at play here, but many people also sidestep guns as being part of that issue.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  5. #115
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Aaron Alexis: Washington navy yard gunman obsessed with violent video games.

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    But it is guns. Guns are a large contributing factor. Many countries struggle with mental health issues but they don't have mass shootings nearly as often as we do. Many countries I have been to have mass stabbings (Much of asia) because guns are not easy to acquire. And in most mass stabbing instances, the majority of people are merely injured, not killed. To say guns are not a factor is just simply ignorant.



    While this is a factor is most mass shootings, the majority of gun violence is not done by people with mental health issues. Attacking the mental health issues in the US will only prevent some of the mass shootings, not all, and will do nothing to solve the overall gun violence issue. It would be as ignorant as saying that knives are just as lethal as guns. If that were the case our military would be equipped with knives instead of guns because they are cheaper and can be used more than once without wasting any materials (bullets).



    There are cetainly many issues at play here, but many people also sidestep guns as being part of that issue.
    Why do you think these mass shootings have become more prevelent in the last 30 years or so, even though guns were far more available then, than they are today?

  6. #116
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: Aaron Alexis: Washington navy yard gunman obsessed with violent video games.

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Why do you think these mass shootings have become more prevelent in the last 30 years or so, even though guns were far more available then, than they are today?
    Actually, that is not true. Guns have become more widely available now then ever before in history other then during war on our soil.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  7. #117
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Aaron Alexis: Washington navy yard gunman obsessed with violent video games.

    When Ronald Reagan was governor of California he systematically began closing down mental hospitals, later as president he would cut aid for federally-funded community mental health programs. It is not a coincidence that the homeless populations in the state of California grew in the seventies and eighties. The people were put out on the street when mental hospitals started to close all over the state.

  8. #118
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Aaron Alexis: Washington navy yard gunman obsessed with violent video games.

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    Actually, that is not true. Guns have become more widely available now then ever before in history other then during war on our soil.
    There are more restrictions on guns today than there were back then. How can it be they are more available today, than they were before?

  9. #119
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,775

    Re: Aaron Alexis: Washington navy yard gunman obsessed with violent video games.

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    There are more restrictions on guns today than there were back then. How can it be they are more available today, than they were before?
    "Restrictions" like a waiting period or background check?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  10. #120
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Aaron Alexis: Washington navy yard gunman obsessed with violent video games.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    "Restrictions" like a waiting period or background check?
    Type, size, etc.. Let's not pretend there have been no gun control measures enacted over the last 30+ years.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •