Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 548

Thread: US Police arrest Florida pastor

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Seen
    01-03-14 @ 11:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    263

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    The nazis were not burning books in protest, they were cleansing the world of those books. There are so many korans in the world 3000 doesn't even make a dent. Not to mention there is no ban on printing them so they will just make more. You can be against it as you want, but it is a legitimate form of protest and you should stop using godwins law when you have no real point.
    I would find it objectionable if he were burning Torahs or Bibles.

  2. #42
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharona View Post
    I would find it objectionable if he were burning Torahs or Bibles.

    Unfortunately for you mere offensiveness isn't considered a legitimate barrier to the exercise of speech in the US

  3. #43
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,125
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharona View Post
    I am not a proponent of book burning... that includes all sorts of books...

    The Nazis burned books.
    Godwin's Law is being invoked here. You lose all arguments.

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Seen
    01-03-14 @ 11:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    263

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    Godwin's Law is being invoked here. You lose all arguments.
    Update: Terry Jones faces felony charges in Florida - latimes.com

  5. #45

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Seen
    01-03-14 @ 11:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    263

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    The nazis were not burning books in protest, they were cleansing the world of those books. There are so many korans in the world 3000 doesn't even make a dent. Not to mention there is no ban on printing them so they will just make more. You can be against it as you want, but it is a legitimate form of protest and you should stop using godwins law when you have no real point.
    You say the Nazis were cleansing the world of books they found objectionable????

  7. #47
    Sage
    reinoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    16,125
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharona View Post
    You say the Nazis were cleansing the world of books they found objectionable????
    Yes. You're trying and failing to understand why Jones attempt at burning Korans is different from Nazi's burning those books. If you're going to throw all your credibility away by talking about Nazi's then it would at least behoove to go down in a blaze of glory (no pun intended) and actually understand why the Nazi's were burning books.

  8. #48
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by reinoe View Post
    So they arrested him and are now making up charges after the fact? And you're glad that someone was arrested for literally no reason? Sounds like Jones can sue the crap out of the city for this.
    No, the article says they will hold a press conference later to discuss the charges he was arrested on. I agree that this man has a constitutional right to burn Korans, but it is SO inflammatory, it solves nothing and puts Americans, not just but certainly including soldiers, at extreme risk, and for that purpose, it is highly irresponsible. It's not an act of love that you might expect coming from a pastor and there are any number of different ways that those lost on 9/11 could be honoured.

  9. #49
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    Unfortunately for you mere offensiveness isn't considered a legitimate barrier to the exercise of speech in the US
    Because of what you say, I don't think he should have been prevented from doing this, if that's what the timely arrest turns out to be. But then again, free speech doesn't allow one to yell fire in a crowded theatre. And sense this could have a similar effect, meaning people could be harmed or worse as a result of him exercising his free speech............................??

  10. #50
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    He was not arrested for burning anything or any sort of speech. That is spin
    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    He faces two charges: unlawful conveyance of fuel, and unlawful open carry of a firearm, according to the Polk County Sheriff's Office.


    Read more: Terry Jones arrested en route to Koran-burning - FOX 35 News Orlando
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    Because of what you say, I don't think he should have been prevented from doing this, if that's what the timely arrest turns out to be. But then again, free speech doesn't allow one to yell fire in a crowded theatre. And sense this could have a similar effect, meaning people could be harmed or worse as a result of him exercising his free speech............................??
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •