Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 548

Thread: US Police arrest Florida pastor

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    He faces two charges: unlawful conveyance of fuel, and unlawful open carry of a firearm, according to the Polk County Sheriff's Office.


    Read more: Terry Jones arrested en route to Koran-burning - FOX 35 News Orlando
    Well, he should have made sure to do it legally. I have to admit towing around that many kerosene soaked books was probably in violation of local laws. Still, I have to admit it is perfectly legal to burn some of the things, and I think given that muslims feel they can silence US free speech it is time to join in this fun. I know bibles burn real well, and now I will find out how well korans burn. There is nothing wrong with doing a bit of burning on your own property around here. There will not be any legitimate reason to arrest me when I do it, and i will be sure to post the video on youtube for the muslims to enjoy. It is called free speech. Love it or move to afganistan where you can live under muslim rules if that is your preference.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharona View Post
    Have you read any of this thread?
    Are you afraid of free speech? because i am not.

  3. #23
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    The police routinely detain suspects with the formal charges coming later, so no conspiracy there.

    I see the freedoms associated with religion like most others, yours ends at my nose. Praise GAWD all you want, but attacking another religion is over the line.
    No, criticism of a religion is well established to be within first amendment doctrine.


    Would we sit by and claim 1st amendment rights to burn a BBQ full of Torahs coz them Jews kilt Jesus?
    Yes, because people are able to criticize ideas and ideologies here, and even do and say things that you disagree with.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Seen
    01-03-14 @ 11:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    263

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No, criticism of a religion is well established to be within first amendment doctrine.




    Yes, because people are able to criticize ideas and ideologies here, and even do and say things that you disagree with.
    He was headed for a public park and openly carrying a gun..

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    The police routinely detain suspects with the formal charges coming later, so no conspiracy there.

    I see the freedoms associated with religion like most others, yours ends at my nose. Praise GAWD all you want, but attacking another religion is over the line. Would we sit by and claim 1st amendment rights to burn a BBQ full of Torahs coz them Jews kilt Jesus?
    Free speech protects that which is deemed offensive, and no we do not make laws based on religious sanctity. He has every right to burn them within the laws regarding burning in his area. It doesn't matter how many muslims he pisses off with it. Yes, that also means if someone wanted they could burn torahs and bibles as long as they follow safety regulations of their towns in regards to burning things.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Seen
    01-03-14 @ 11:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    263

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    Are you afraid of free speech? because i am not.
    He was headed for a public park and openly carrying a gun..

    Neither has anything to do with free speech.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharona View Post
    He was headed for a public park and openly carrying a gun..
    It is legal in many places to carry a gun. Also, i can light up a BBQ in many public parks without any problem and cook. Yes, 3000 books was probably well beyond what you are legally allowed to burn in a public park, and carting a BBQ around with kerosene drenched books sounds like it violates fire codes, but there would be nothing stopping you from using a grill on site to burn a book as that is no more of a fire hazard than doing a BBQ. You could use a campfire pit also if available. I am not sure what facilities the site had, but he could have chosen to do it in a way that did not violate the local ordinances, and he probably should have left his gun at home if it was not legal to carry.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Seen
    01-03-14 @ 11:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    263

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    It is legal in many places to carry a gun. Also, i can light up a BBQ in many public parks without any problem and cook. Yes, 3000 books was probably well beyond what you are legally allowed to burn in a public park, and carting a BBQ around with kerosene drenched books sounds like it violates fire codes, but there would be nothing stopping you from using a grill on site to burn a book as that is no more of a fire hazard than doing a BBQ. You could use a campfire pit also if available. I am not sure what facilities the site had, but he could have chosen to do it in a way that did not violate the local ordinances, and he probably should have left his gun at home if it was not legal to carry.
    In Florida you can't openly carry a gun... and you can't even burn leaves in most towns and cities.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by Sharona View Post
    He was headed for a public park and openly carrying a gun..

    Neither has anything to do with free speech.
    Now you are just getting really out there. Yes, you can do free speech in a public park. You may have to get a permit for a public event, but there is nothing wrong with going to one that has facilities for BBQ or a campfire and burning a book or two. He did overdo it on the number of books, and his method was not safe. Also, there are many areas in the US that presently allow open carry so having a gun is well beyond the issue of free speech. If he was arrested for violating local rules about open carry then he should have been aware and either not carried or chosen a place where he could carry. You are trying to make a BS emotional argument. Let us bring it back to reality. I will be burning some korans myself soon. I will do it on my property and within local laws regarding burning. I won't have a gun, and I might evemn drag a few down to the local park and burn them in a grill or two there. So what is your complaint going to be when they have no other things to arrest me on?

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Seen
    01-03-14 @ 11:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    263

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    Now you are just getting really out there. Yes, you can do free speech in a public park. You may have to get a permit for a public event, but there is nothing wrong with going to one that has facilities for BBQ or a campfire and burning a book or two. He did overdo it on the number of books, and his method was not safe. Also, there are many areas in the US that presently allow open carry so having a gun is well beyond the issue of free speech. If he was arrested for violating local rules about open carry then he should have been aware and either not carried or chosen a place where he could carry. You are trying to make a BS emotional argument. Let us bring it back to reality. I will be burning some korans myself soon. I will do it on my property and within local laws regarding burning. I won't have a gun, and I might evemn drag a few down to the local park and burn them in a grill or two there. So what is your complaint going to be when they have no other things to arrest me on?
    Good for you................

Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •