Page 29 of 55 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 548

Thread: US Police arrest Florida pastor

  1. #281
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    Well like it or not the US is the world leader and everything she does has a consequence, you have soldiers fighting in Muslim countries, embassies and have huge business ties in Muslim countries. A US soldier/ allied soldier/ embassy worker gets killed because of the actions of a radical in your own country is something you have to control. Now if the US were isolationists then I would say crack on but your not and unfourtuntly if you want to keep order/ remain on good terms with these people you have to make some sacrifices.
    What makes you think we want to be on good terms with them? As soon as their oil is gone, they could rot on Hades for all the US government will care.

  2. #282
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    Its not the muslims in the US that are the issue
    I was trying to make this point earlier to to avail. The difference I see with this man exercising his right to free speech with this act is that it is not just him that could potentially suffer the repercussions from any retaliation. We also can be assured that the threats of retaliation are fairly credible. If we could be assured that radicals around the world would look for THIS guy to retaliate against then fine, but we can not make such assurances.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  3. #283
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    This guy has nothing to do with religion. He's a hate monger. What ever he says should be ignored.

    But....

    If burning the American Flag is protected as speech, then so should this be.

    My concern is not related to the douche bag that calls himself a preacher, but the fact that Free Speech took a hit today.

    Our troops in A-stan or anywhere else, do not need our Consitutional Rights infringed upon to supposedly keep them safe from reprisal.

    Trust me, the Taliban, Al Qaeda, Muslim Brotherhood, or any other Islamic Extremist don't need any additional reasons to attack and kill our military or our civilians even here at home; just the fact that we exist is reason enough.

    Don't use the safety of the military as an excuse to stifle Free Speech.

    What this guy needs is an old fashioned country ass kickin'. Not to be arrested for some dumbasstic act of burning some books.

  4. #284
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Seen
    01-03-14 @ 11:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    263

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    What makes you think we want to be on good terms with them? As soon as their oil is gone, they could rot on Hades for all the US government will care.
    I really enjoyed living in the ME... and I enjoyed living in Switzerland. I enjoyed the difference in culture and cuisine.. and getting to know people. I loved traveling in Denmark, Greece, France and elsewhere.. Some people enjoy that sort of thing.

  5. #285
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,253

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    What makes you think we want to be on good terms with them? As soon as their oil is gone, they could rot on Hades for all the US government will care.
    What makes me think that? Your governments tone and its actions.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  6. #286
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,253

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    Which makes your disregard for free speech even worse.

    People in the United States should not have free speech because somebody in some hell hole like Afghanistan might not approve.
    unfortunately Gardener that is the name of the game! If you are going to send your troops into hostile territory you have an obligation to protect them and help make their job easier.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  7. #287
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,598
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    I feel comfortable saying that I place protecting innocent lives above anyones right to free speech. It sounds like that is your point. It seems people are usually all over protecting rights until its their life that is traded for that right. Then you better be damn sure that freedom is actually at risk.
    Aside from being a rather blatant appeal to emotion, you really should consider you may be speaking to someone who has already placed his life on the line for such freedoms.

    If you are not willing to risk your life in defense of what you believe are your freedoms, then you will never truly be free.
    Last edited by Captain Adverse; 09-12-13 at 08:36 PM.
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

  8. #288
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,672

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    This guy has nothing to do with religion. He's a hate monger. What ever he says should be ignored.

    But....

    If burning the American Flag is protected as speech, then so should this be.

    My concern is not related to the douche bag that calls himself a preacher, but the fact that Free Speech took a hit today.

    Our troops in A-stan or anywhere else, do not need our Consitutional Rights infringed upon to supposedly keep them safe from reprisal.

    Trust me, the Taliban, Al Qaeda, Muslim Brotherhood, or any other Islamic Extremist don't need any additional reasons to attack and kill our military or our civilians even here at home; just the fact that we exist is reason enough.

    Don't use the safety of the military as an excuse to stifle Free Speech.

    What this guy needs is an old fashioned country ass kickin'. Not to be arrested for some dumbasstic act of burning some books.
    Yeah, you rite!

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  9. #289
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    Aside from being a rather blatant appeal to emotion, you really should consider you may be speaking to someone who has already placed his life on the line for such freedoms.

    If you are not willing to risk your life in defense of what you believe are your freedoms, then you will never truly be free.
    Talk about playing the emotion card. You made that choice for yourself. Those who could be impacted by any retaliation because of what this guy did where will not have afforded that same opportunity.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  10. #290
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,598
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    Talk about playing the emotion card. You made that choice for yourself. Those who could be impacted by any retaliation because of what this guy did where will not have afforded that same opportunity.
    Not playing any card at all. Merely stating a fact.

    If you are so afraid of the harm that can come to you (or others) from the reactions of those opposed to your exercising those freedoms, then you are no longer free. You have enslaved yourself to whomever you fear.
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

Page 29 of 55 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •