Page 16 of 55 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 548

Thread: US Police arrest Florida pastor

  1. #151
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by lolabird View Post
    Why do you dance around my direct questions and throw out a quote from Ben Franklin, who died 223 years ago?
    What are your thoughts on the Patriot Act adopted under the Bush Admn.? Did you feel safer after the 9-11 attacks?
    If the Florida preacher is really a man of God, why would he publicly draw attention to himself by burning thousands of Qurans? Why is it necessary to disrespect another religion and call your small-minded smugness freedom? Have you read from the Quran?
    Why are you against freedom?
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  2. #152
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I not only think, I know that the police arrested innocent law abiding citizens by the truckload during the OWS protests
    Only people arrested during OWS protests were those who choose to squat and "occupy" public places for days/weeks/months and police ignored them for as long as possible and then moved in - that's quite a bit different from rounding them up the first minute they did something wrong to thwart their ability to even start to protest.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  3. #153
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by lolabird View Post
    If the Florida preacher is really a man of God, why would he publicly draw attention to himself by burning thousands of Qurans? Why is it necessary to disrespect another religion and call your small-minded smugness freedom? Have you read from the Quran?
    It doesn't matter why. It isn't illegal to be an asshole and that's what this Pastor is being. However, he has the right to be an asshole. Burning books is no different than burning flags. BOTH are legal to do. I think he was doing this to garner attention though because he knows about permits. But if he wants to burn books on his property or with a valid permit, the government should not step in to stop it out of fear for what some idiots might do overseas.

  4. #154
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by lolabird View Post
    Why do you dance around my direct questions and throw out a quote from Ben Franklin, who died 223 years ago?
    What are your thoughts on the Patriot Act adopted under the Bush Admn.? Did you feel safer after the 9-11 attacks?
    If the Florida preacher is really a man of God, why would he publicly draw attention to himself by burning thousands of Qurans? Why is it necessary to disrespect another religion and call your small-minded smugness freedom? Have you read from the Quran?
    I thought the quote from Ben Franklin summed up my feelings perfectly, and I have nothing more to add to it.

    Read the post by lizzie. That also explains my position. Unlike yourself, I at least made an honest attempt at explaining my position.

    Now your turn, why do you think this man should not be allowed to burn a book in an expression of symbolism?
    Last edited by ChrisL; 09-12-13 at 12:30 PM. Reason: grammar error

  5. #155
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    01-03-14 @ 10:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    642

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    It doesn't really matter what the symbolism was. The issue is one of freedom of speech. Iow, we all have the right to free expression. We just don't have the right to cause physical harm. We don't make exceptions to rights, based on the fact that someone's feelings may be hurt, or because we may be offended.
    So I take it you emphatically uphold the rights of the bullies who expressed their freedom of speech against Karen Klein on the school bus. They didn't cause physical harm; only emotional trauma. But you know, words can kill.

  6. #156
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,253

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    The legal meaning of incitement and your use thereof are absolutely worlds apart.

    It really has nothing to do with the reaction of violent, oversensitive people thousands of miles away, and more to do with actually encouraging a mob towards violent action. By perverting the meaning the way you are doing, you allow the reaction to an act to determine its legality, and hand the right to limit one person's actions to the most violent people who might react.

    .
    Sometimes you can't always take the moral high ground. Sometimes you have to do things you dont agree with in order to keep the peace. That is life and that is the world we live in.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  7. #157
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    Sometimes you can't always take the moral high ground. Sometimes you have to do things you dont agree with in order to keep the peace. That is life and that is the world we live in.
    That doesn't include taking away rights.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  8. #158
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    01-03-14 @ 10:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    642

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I thought the quote from Ben Franklin summed up my feelings perfectly, and I have nothing more to add to it.

    Read the post by lizzie. That also explains my position. Unlike yourself, I at least made an honest attempt at explaining my position.

    Now your turn, why do you think this man should not be allowed to burn a book in an expression of symbolism?
    Sadly, you haven't added anything that belongs to you. You can't even answer my questions.

  9. #159
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by lolabird View Post
    So I take it you emphatically uphold the rights of the bullies who expressed their freedom of speech against Karen Klein on the school bus. They didn't cause physical harm; only emotional trauma. But you know, words can kill.
    I uphold the rights to freedom of speech. I'm not sure how much more clear I can be.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  10. #160
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,353

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    No, you have to limit people driving around with enough kerosene to be a danger to the public, carry your firearms according to the law and register your trailer.
    I agree. From what I have read, it seerms like two groups with axes to grind decided to piss on trees instead. If I were going to a protest site, I would: Carry my gun legally, or leave it at home. Carry my fire starter in 5 gallon cans instead of pulling a bomb behind my truck. Make sure my tail lights were functioning. OTOH, if I was going to arrest someone, I would have something in mind, not a charge to be named later.

Page 16 of 55 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •